“We don’t get burned out by what we do… We get burned out because we forget why we’re doing it.”
It’s never too late to transform your life.
I didn’t find my place in the world until my mid-40’s.
Similarly, this week’s guest risked his successful but deeply unfulfilling business to pursue his truth as a speaker and author.
I’m glad I took that leap of faith. In truth, I can’t imagine my life otherwise.
Jon Gordon not only feels the same, he believes everyone holds the power to transcend their circumstances and blaze a purposeful life of meaning.
This week I sit down the celebrated bestselling author and prolific keynote speaker to discuss what it takes to cultivate that vision and the commitment required to manifest untapped reservoirs of human potential. What holds most people back. And the specific steps required to break the glass ceiling on performance and potential in career, sport and life.
A graduate of Cornell University with a masters in teaching from Emory, Jon Gordon has inspired millions of readers and audiences around the world with highly instructive teachings on the themes of leadership, human potential, teamwork and positivity – principles that have been beneficial to many a Fortune 500 company — such as GE, Wells Fargo, State Farm, Campbell Soup, Dell, Publix, and Southwest Airlines — and a litany of professional and collegiate sports teams, including The Los Angeles Dodgers, The Atlanta Falcons, LA Clippers, Miami Heat, Pittsburgh Pirates, Clemson Football and more. Jon also impacts thousands of teachers and students each year through his work with schools, universities like West Point, hospitals and non-profit organizations.
Jon has been featured on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, The Golf Channel, Fox and Friends, in numerous magazines and newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, and he is the author of an astounding 17 books, including 5 bestsellers: The Energy Bus*, The Carpenter*, Training Camp*, You Win in the Locker Room First* and The Power of Positive Leadership*.
This isn’t just a conversation about success — it’s about finding fulfillment and purpose in every hour of every day.
It’s about how he cultivates, nurtures and practices the prolific creativity required to write 17 books.
It’s about the core leadership and teamwork principles he teaches that have positively impacted a litany of professional athletes, coaches, organizations, students, teachers, schools, corporations, and non-profits.
It’s a conversation about the primacy of positivity – how to confront negativity (“Energy Vampires”) and convert it to positivity.
It’s about commitment, service, and the importance of culture within an organization.
And it’s a conversation about the importance of discovering your North Star — defining what motivates you and summoning the commitment to execute on that vision.
It was an absolute delight to spend a couple hours with this extraordinary man and I think our exchange reflects my enthusiasm.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the discussion. More importantly, my hope is that you implement the many takeaways into your life in a meaningful way.
Because it’s never too late to transform your life.
Peace + Plants,
I want to personally thank everyone who responded to my podcast with Scott Harrison and donated to charity: water by joining The Spring. As of the date of this writing, the RRP community has collectively raised enough revenue to build 4 wells annually! Amazing. Inspired by your generosity, my company has decided to sponsor one well per year – so that makes 5 wells for 2017. But why not make it 10? For just $20-$40 in monthly donations (100% of which go directly to clean water projects), you can make an incalculable difference in countless lives by investing in a world where everyone has clean water. There is simply no better feeling than providing a basic, life-altering human right. To learn more and join, please visit The Spring at cwtr.org/richroll.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set, which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is shipping.
Health IQ: The Rich Roll podcast is sponsored by Health IQ, an insurance company that helps health conscious people get special rates on term life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/richroll to support the show and learn more.
Listen to Jon sharing everything he knows about getting published in his FREE webinar: “Everything I Know About Getting Published”
- Connect with Jon: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- TEDx: The Secrets That Drive Us To Greater Success | Jon Gordon | TEDxHilliard
- USA Today: Pelissero: The time we heard about the Juice Brothers in Panthers locker room by Tom Pelissero
- The Wall Street Journal: The Jets’ Resident Bookworm Has Some Advice — for Himself by Stu Woo
- Forbes: Don’t Underestimate The Power Of Positive Leadership by Kevin Kruse
- TODAY Show: Got a New Year’s goal? Keep it simple
- Observer: How Great Leaders Create and Share a Positive Vision by Jon Gordon
- Observer: Five Ways Successful Leaders Cultivate Grit and Achieve Long-Term Goals
- Big Speak: Jon Gordon – Best-Selling Author, Motivational Speaker [VIDEO]
- CBN: Jon Gordon: Stop Complaining
- Business Magazine Gainesville: Q&A with Author Jon Gordon by Rhina Garcia
- Blanchard Leader Chat: Jon Gordon on Positivity and Moving Forward in the Face of Adversity and Obstacles by David Witt
- greenhouse product news: Jon Gordon Kicks Off Cultivate’17 on the Energy Bus
- Washington Post: Mario St. George Boiardi Dies
- Charity: The Mario St. George Boiardi Foundation
- Documentary: What The Health
Books by Jon Gordon
- Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life*
- The Power of Positive Leadership: How and Why Positive Leaders Transform Teams and Organizations and Change the World*
- The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy*
- The Carpenter: A Story About the Greatest Success Strategies of All*
- Soup: A Recipe to Create a Culture of Greatness*
- The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work*
- The Positive Dog: A Story About the Power of Positivity*
- You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C’s to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life*
- The Hard Hat: 21 Ways to Be a Great Teammate*
- Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else*
- The Shark and the Goldfish: Positive Ways to Thrive During Waves of Change*
- One Word That Will Change Your Life*
- Life Word: Discover Your One Word to Leave a Legacy*
- The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work*
- The Energy Bus for Kids: A Story about Staying Positive and Overcoming Challenges*
- Thank You and Good Night*
Notable People Discussed
- Michael Gervais: Elite performance sports psychologist and host of “Finding Mastery” podcast and (2x) podcast guest
- Ryan Holiday: Author of: The Obstacle Is The Way*, Ego Is The Enemy* and (2x) podcast guest
- Gary Vaynerchuk: (Gary Vee) 4x NY Times bestselling author, speaker serial entrepreneur and podcast guest
- Rob Bell: author, speaker, former pastor and podcast guest
- Yogi Roth: Pac-12 Networks college football analyst, filmmaker, and author
- Mario St. George Boiardi: Cornell University lacrosse captain who died in 2004 after being struck by the ball in a game
- Swen Nater: (retired) is the only player to have led both the NBA and ABA in rebounding
- Mike Smith: defensive coordinator for the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and author
- Ken Blanchard: speaker, leadership/business guru, and author of over 50 books
- Jack Del Rio: head coach of the NFL’s Oakland Raiders, linebacker for four NFL teams between 1985–1996
- Dabo Swinney: head football coach at Clemson University
- Andy Stanley: communicator, author, pastor
- Dave Roberts: former MLB outfielder and current manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #262: Lessons On Mindset With Kerri Walsh Jennings
- RRP #120: Dr. Michael Gervais on How To Master Mindfulness in Sports & Life
- RRP #252: Dr. Michael Gervais On Elite Performance & The Psychology Of Self-Mastery
- RRP #168: Turning Adversity To Advantage: Ryan Holiday On Why The Obstacle Is The Way
- RRP #239: Ryan Holiday On The Perils Of Ego & Inherent Value Of Humility
- RRP #198: It’s An Inside Job: Olaniyi Sobomehin On How To Maximize Potential In Sport & Life
- RRP# 278: “What The Health” – How Corporate Collusion Is Making Us Sick & Costing Us Trillions“
- RRP #283: Brad Stulberg & Steve Magness On Achieving And Sustaining Peak Performance
- RRP #057 : Dr. Jeff Spencer On Achieving Prolific Peak Performance
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.