Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
“Everyday we have the opportunity to create a living masterpiece.”
At the highest echelons of sport, all the athletes are supremely talented. All have devoted their lives to being the best they can be. All train as hard as they possibly can. And all are optimizing their sleep, nutrition and recovery to glean every extra edge imaginable.
So what distinguishes the gold medalist from the also ran?
Is it luck? Talent? Support? Resources? Of course every result is significantly influenced by some combination of these important variables. But all things being equal, the athlete with the mental and emotional edge will stand atop the podium every time.
Once the embarrassing last stop on a flailing athlete’s career, the world’s top sports psychologists now enjoy a highly influential and respected role proactively honing the mental and emotional edge of today’s most successful athletes, CEOs and creatives looking to elevate peak performance beyond the imaginable.
Enter Dr. Michael Gervais– the go to high performance psychologist everyone is talking about.
Director of the High Performance Psychology arm of DISC (Diagnostic and Interventional Surgical Center) Sports & Spine Center in Marina Del Rey and a key member of the Red Bull High Performance Program, Michael works in the trenches of high-stakes environments, where there is no luxury for mistakes, hesitation, or failure to respond. With the vision of helping his clients thrive under pressure, Michael has created a performance model — melding state-of-the-art brain mapping techniques with an approach grounded in high-performance psychology — that allows people to achieve their maximum potential, whether on or off the field.
Dr. Gervais’ results are staggering. If you follow the NFL, then you might recall Michael as the guy Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll credits as integral in their Super Bowl win for the meditation, mindfulness and other crucial team building techniques he helped foster and instill into the fabric of the Seahawks organization and team culture that paved the team’s path towards incredible success.
You might also remember that Felix Baumgartner’s now-infamous Red Bull Stratos jump from an altitude of 128,000 feet almost never was simply because Felix simply could not overcome the high level of anxiety and claustrophobia he experienced every time he donned the jump suit. It was none other than Gervais who helped Baumagartner resolve the issue and get Stratos back on track. No Gervais, no history making jump.
In addition to the Seahawks and Red Bull’s North American athletes, Dr. Gervais has worked with the US Olympic Team, snowboarders, golfers, basketball players, track and field athletes, an impressive array of top collegiate programs, and professional sports organizations including the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and UFC. In addition, his work has played an integral role in the US Military, as well as several collegiate and high school programs.
While Dr. Gervais’ roster includes some of the sports world’s most elite, this isn’t just about high performance athletes, its about high performance life. To coin his phrase, everyday we have the opportunity to create a living masterpiece.
So what’s the secret?
The answer might surprise you. It’s not about motivation. And it’s not about winning. It’s about the way it feels to be who you are. It’s about courage. And it’s about exploring what’s possible.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this exploration of the boundaries of human potential with the sagacious and insightful Dr. Michael Gervais.
Peace + Plants,
Listen & Subscribe on iTunes | Soundcloud | Stitcher
- Connect with Michael: Website | Twitter | Instagram | HuffPo
- ESPN: Lotus Pose on Two: The Seahawks believe their kinder, kentler philosophy is the future of football
- WIRED: How Claustrophobia Nearly Grounded Supersonic Skydiver Felix Baumgartner
- OUTSIDE: The Sports Shrink: Michael Gervais, Psychologist to the Stars
- CNN: Training the Brain to Stress Less
- ABC NEWS: Felix Baumgartner Beat Claustrophobia in Record Sky Dive
- THE SCORE: “People Have Everything They Need Already Inside Them”
- MINDFUL.ORG: Mindfulness and High Performance Training with the Seahawks
- Mindfulness Helped the Seahawks Win a Super Bowl. It Can Help You Too
- From Fear to Flow: Secrets to Mastering the Edge in Sports and Life
- DISC Sports & Spine Center
- Red Bull Stratos Project
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
3. SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW the show on iTunes, Stitcher and Soundcloud and TuneIn.
4. DONATE: Check out the DONATE button on the right hand margin or click HERE to learn more. We even accept Bitcoin!
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
P.P.S. We’re running a sale! Get $10 off on all t-shirts, $10 off our Repair plant-based protein supplement and two for one on all B12 purchases!
Such a great conversation, Rich. It’s amazing to listen to two authentic individuals embracing mindfulness. If only all of life’s conversations could flow along this thread. And revealing that mindfulness is at-work, as the essential building block of success, at the highest levels of achievement, solidifies confidence in us listeners, that it’s THE WAY… Namaste 🙂
One of my favourite podcasts so far – really interesting and informative
Thank you for this episode Rich. It was a great conversation that left me feeling inspired and motivated. I’d love to hear more from you and Dr Gervais in the future.
Rich – this one is a life changer. Thanks for putting it out there. My life and my workouts have improved dramatically since replacing music with your podcasts!