“There are two kinds of cardiologists: vegans and those who haven’t read the data.”
Dr. Kim Williams, MD President, American College of Cardiology
Imagine four commercial airliners crashing every single hour of every single day of every single year.
It’s unfathomable. And yet that is how many Americans die from heart disease annually. In fact, an unbelievable 1 out of every 3 people in the U.S. will perish from this one disease.
Meanwhile, 70% of Americans are obese or overweight. In the coming decade, 50% of Americans will be diagnosed diabetic or pre-diabetic. An economic disaster, 75% of all health care costs in America are attributable to these and a few other chronic lifestyle illnesses.
It’s devastating. And yet the most heartbreaking aspect of this crisis is that 80-90% of these illnesses are very easily preventable and often entirely reversible via some rather simple diet and lifestyle alternations.
It’s the food, stupid.
This week I’m joined by Kip Andersen and Keegan Kuhn, the filmmaking dynamic duo behind the groundbreaking documentary Cowspiracy, to talk about their brand new follow up. Equally groundbreaking, What The Health explores the relationship between our food systems and big business, exposing the collusion and corruption that is making us sick, keeping us sick and costing us trillions in healthcare dollars.
Whereas Cowspiracy explores the impact of animal agriculture on environmental health, What The Health focuses on human health. Perhaps the most important documentary you will ever see, it’s a film about the power of special interest groups to drive unhealthy consumer spending habits. It’s about environmental racism and the impact of animal agriculture on community health. And it’s about why you need to rethink for yourself everything you’ve ever been told about the relationship between business and food, the impact of food choice on personal health, and your body’s incredible, innate power to prevent, fight and even reverse the chronic lifestyle illnesses that are unnecessarily killing people by the millions.
Starting March 16, the film will be available to watch worldwide at whatthehealthfilm.com – where you can also pre-order the DVD and cookbook as well as set up a screening in your town (I’m hosting one on March 29). In addition, for the first four days of the film’s release (between March 16 – 20), Keegan and Kip will be donating half of all proceeds to Food Not Bombs – an amazing, for-purpose organization that feeds thousands of people free vegan meals across North America and the world.
Kip and Keegan are truly breaking paradigms. Making the world a better place. And changing lives with what I think is the most important film of the year. A film that just might save your life or that of a loved one. I aspire to their level of courage and advocacy. And I sincerely hope you enjoy this exchange.
On a final note, I’m hosting a private screening of What The Health on March 29 in Thousand Oaks, CA. Only a few tickets remain. To grab one, visit: whatthehealthfilm.eventbrite.com. [Update: As of March 16, all of the tickets are sold out].
Peace + Plants,
Spots are available for our next retreat in Italy — for info visit plantpowerworld.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code “RICHROLL”.
Health IQ: reward your healthy lifestyle with life insurance that makes sense & never overpay again! To learn more and get a free quote, go to HealthIQ.com/ROLL
Share the message by joining their #1 trending Thunderclap campaign!
Background, Context & Reference
- Cowspiracy: Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Support A.U.M. Films, visit aumfilms.org
- UN Report: Livestock a major threat to environment
- Film: Forks Over Knives* by T. Colin Campbell
- Film: Eating You Alive by Paul David Kennamer Jr.
- NPR: Bad Day For Bacon: Processed Meats Cause Cancer, WHO Says by Allison Aubrey
- NYTimes: Meat Is Linked to Higher Cancer Risk, W.H.O. Report Finds by Anahad O’Connor
- Harvard: We Repeat: Butter is Not Back.
- SeattleTimes: Why butter isn’t back: Not all saturated fat is created equal by Carrie Dennett
- Book: Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming* by Naomi Oreskes
- YaleEnvironment: How Industrial Agriculture Has Thwarted Factory Farm Reforms by Christina Russo
- TTAC: The Facade of Breast Cancer Awareness, Susan G. Komen and the Pink Ribbon by Donna Pinto
- PCRM: American Diabetes Association Promotes Plant-Based Diets
- DrOz: What It Means to Be Vegan [VIDEO]
- TheAtlantic: Are There Limits to Government Speech? By Garrett Epps
- LATimes: Cheese really is crack. Study reveals cheese is as addictive as drugs by Jenn Harris
- CNN: ‘Cheeseburger bill’ puts bite on lawsuits
- LATimes: The egg industry launched a secret two-year war against a vegan mayonnaise competitor by Geoffrey Mohan
- Fortune: USDA Says American Egg Board’s Anti-Vegan Mayo Campaign Was ‘Inappropriate’ by Beth Kowitt
- Forbes: California Restaurants Lose Appeal On Cancer Warnings by Daniel Fisher
- TrueNorth Health Center: the largest facility in the world that specializes in medically supervised water-only fasting
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast
- Dr. Alan Goldhamer: American chiropractor, author and founder of the TrueNorth Health Clinic
- Caldwell Esselstyn: American physician, author and former Olympic rowing champion
- John McDougall: American doctor and author who has written that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based vegan diet
- Gary Taubes: American author of Nobel Dreams, Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion, and Good Calories, Bad Calories
- Robert Martin: former executive director of the Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production
- Tia Blanco: professional vegan surfer from the United States of America who won the first place Gold medal at the International Surfing Association Open Women’s World Surfing Championship 2015
- Nick Diaz: American professional mixed martial artist who is currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #007: Michael Greger, MD On Omega-3’s, Antioxidant Impact On Exercise Recovery & The Hows And Whys Of Protein Intake
- RRP #062: David Simon On Meatonomics: How The Bizarre, Rigged Economics Of The Meat And Dairy Industries Co-Opt Consumer Choice
- RRP #077: Dr. Michael Klaper On Leveraging Plant-Based Nutrition To Treat, Prevent & Reverse Disease
- RRP #91: Cowspiracy – The Devastating Impact Of Animal Agriculture On Our Planet
- RRP #128: Is Butter Really Back? Heart To Heart With Cardiologist Joel Kahn
- RRP #145: The Spirit Of Timothy Shieff — Freerunning, The Practice Of Being & Living Transparently
- RRP #150: Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein: Garth Davis, MD On High Fat, Low Carb Diets, Bad Science & How To Separate Nutritional Fact From Popular Fiction
- RRP #160: The NFL’s David Carter On How A Plant-Based Diet Made Him A Better Player & A Better Human
- RRP #162: Prevent Disease & Thrive: Michelle McMacken, MD On Holistic Lifestyle Medicine & Promoting Optimal Wellness Through Plant-Based Nutrition
- RRP #176: How Animal Agriculture Is Destroying The Planet and What You can Do About It
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, M.D. On How Not To Die
- RRP #201: Patrik Baboumian: The World Record Holding Vegan Strongman On Why Compassion Is His Greatest Strength
- RRP #242: Neal Barnard, M.D. On The Power Of Nutrition To Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease, Diabetes & Alzheimer’s
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to our Amazon affiliate code. Any purchase will not cost you a cent extra but will support the show by shaking loose a little Amazon affiliate change in our direction, which is a great, free way to support the show.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Bookmark & Use the Amazon Banner Ad: Click through to Amazon via our Amazon banner ad (above) or use richroll.com/amazon for all your Amazon purchases. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which help cover show expenses. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.