“I don’t want to be better than you or her or him—I want to be better than I am right now.”
Kerri Walsh Jennings
The most decorated beach volleyball player in history and one of the most consistently dominant Olympic athletes of all time, Kerri Walsh Jennings (@kerrileewalsh) needs no introduction. But for those few off-grid souls who somehow avoided the last five Olympiads, here’s but a taste of what this week’s guest has accomplished:
- she has competed in the last five consecutive Olympiads;
- she is a 3-time Olympic Gold Medalist & 1-time Olympic Bronze medalist in beach volleyball (2016);
- along with teammate Misty May-Treanor, she has been named the greatest beach volleyball team of all time;
- during their 11-year run together, Walsh Jennings & May-Treanor won 21 consecutive Olympic matches and only lost one set
This is a unique and extraordinary exploration of the habits, practices and mindset behind one of the greatest athletes on the planet.
It’s a conversation about the mentality required to be the world’s best. It’s an exchange about the crucial role effective communication plays in both sport and relationships. And it’s about the power and responsibility of being a positive role model.
But ultimately, this is a conversation about pursuing what you love, loving what you pursue, and taking a stand for what you believe in.
I cannot overstate my respect for Kerri, her athletic achievements, and how this delightful, spirited, beautiful and tenacious human lives her life on a daily basis. I adore this conversation and am thrilled to share it with you today.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange!
Peace + Plants,
Spots are now available for Plantpower Austraila, Feb. 20-27, 2017. For info visit plantpowerworld.com
Check out Julie’s podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting casper.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Kerri: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- TeamUSA: Kerri Walsh Jennings Bio
- AVP: Kerri Walsh Jennings Bio
- TeamUSA: The Golden Girls by Darci Miller
- TeamUSA: May, Walsh Reflect on Olympic Journey by Kristina Harter
- Time: 100 Olympic Athletes To Watch: Kerri Walsh & Misty May-Treanor by Sean Gregory
- USAToday: Kerri Walsh Jennings says bronze ‘meant so much more’ than gold medals by Nate Scott
- ForTheWin: Kerri Walsh Jennings boycotts tour event over AVP’s ‘utterly disrespectful’ decision by Nate Scott
- IJR: USA Volleyball Star Makes Comment about “Having Babies” That’s Pretty Ballsy in This Day and Age by Virginia Kruta
- NBCOlympics: Walsh Jennings: ‘This bronze is right up there with my golds’ (video)
- NBCOlympics: Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross beat Brazil for bronze by Carrie Waltemeyer
- Today: Kerri Walsh Jennings on beach volleyball bronze: ‘No shame’ in third place by Eun Kyung Kim
- ESPN: Kerri Walsh Jennings’ gold-medal streak snapped in semis by Jim Caple
- ESPN: How Kerri Walsh Jennings made it to a fifth Olympics at age 38 by Audrey Cleo Yap
- E!: 10 Things to Know About Beach Volleyball Star Kerri Walsh Jennings by Maya Eliahou
- USWeekly: Kerri Walsh Jennings: 7 Things You Don’t Know About Me by Cara Sprunk
- Heavy: Kerri Walsh Jennings: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know by Daniel S. Levine
- WashingtonPost: If Kerri Walsh Jennings is done at the Olympics, remember: she did all that with one arm by Adam Kilgore
- BusinessInsider: 37-year-old Kerri Walsh-Jennings explains how she stays so dominant at an age when most athletes retire by Emmett Knowlton
- DailyBeast: Rio 2016: USA Volleyball’s Kerri Walsh Jennings Shows Grace in Defeat by Gabrielle Glaser
- NYMag: Leslie Jones and Kerri Walsh Jennings: Rio BFFs by Jada Yuan
Notable People Discussed
- Tero Isokauppila: co-founder and President of Four Sigmatic Foods, a US company specialized in superfoods, medicinal mushrooms and adaptogenic herbs
- Khalil Rafati: founder and President of SunLife Organics, a juice bar offering organic juice, smoothies, frozen yogurt, coffee, supplements, superfood snacks and more
- Misty May-Treanor: retired American professional beach volleyball player with three Olympic gold medals
- April Ross: American professional beach volleyball player
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #008: Gabrielle Reece On Optimal Nutrition, Homeschooling & Life With Laird
- RRP #010: Olympian Garrett Weber-Gale
- RRP #088: Olympic Champion Rebecca Soni (Part 1)
- RRP #089: Olympic Champion Rebecca Soni (Part 2)
- RRP #120: Michael Gervais on How To Master Mindfulness in Sports & Life
- RRP #194: Olympian Aaron Piersol’s Love Affair With Water
- RRP #237: Anthony Ervin: The Rebel Olympian on Chasing Water, Finding Meaning in Gold & The Search For Authenticity
- RRP #252: Michael Gervais On Elite Performance & The Psychology of Self-Mastery
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our brand new Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.