“Spirituality untested and unchallenged is a sword made of tin foil. True steel is forged in the fire of resistance.”
Experimentalist. Unconventional fitness junkie. Entrepreneur. Human optimizer. Psychonaut.
This week’s guest defies any singular title. But the underlying ethos that defines Aubrey Marcus is best captured in one brief phrase:
On the business front, Aubrey is the CEO of Onnit –– an optimal human performance company he founded just six years ago that has grown to one of the INC 500 top 500 fastest growing companies in America. Offering a wide array of products, Onnit produces supplements for cognition, mood, bone and joint function; fitness equipment such as kettle bells and jump ropes; personal care products; and foods that range from Himalayan salt to coffee. Online, the Onnit Academy boasts copious helpful information on all things human optimization. And if you visit Onnit HQ in Austin (where we recorded this conversation), you’ll find a cutting edge training center & ju jitsu studio that many an elite athlete call home, including Super Bowl champion football players, Stanley Cup winning hockey players, Olympic gold medalists, and mixed martial arts champions.
On top of being a very active CEO, Aubrey hosts both the Total Human Optimization Podcast as well as The Aubrey Marcus Podcast, both dedicated to exploring and expanding human happiness and consciousness.
The accomplishments are impressive. But what truly interests me about Aubrey is his uniquely mystical path to success. His philosophical perspective on the human experiment. His uncommon devotion to continued expansion of consciousness. And his unusual blend of alpha male masculinity with esoteric spirituality.
This is a conversation that examines the metaphysical intangibles that catalyzed Aubrey’s unusual path. It’s about self-worth, self-love and self-discovery — and why outward success is always an inside job.
But mostly this is a conversation about what it means to be human. To live meaningfully. And with purpose.
I think it’s safe to say that Aubrey and I are very different people. But I think that makes this conversation special.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
I want to personally thank everyone who responded to my podcast with Scott Harrison and donated to charity: water by joining The Spring. As of the date of this writing, the RRP community has collectively raised enough revenue to build close to 4 wells annually! Amazing. Inspired by your generosity, my company has decided to sponsor one well per year – so that makes 5 wells for 2017. But why not make it 10? For just $20-$40 in monthly donations (100% of which go directly to clean water projects), you can make an incalculable difference in countless lives by investing in a world where everyone has clean water. There is simply no better feeling than providing a basic, life-altering human right. To learn more and join, please visit The Spring now.
Thanks to this week’s sponsor:
MeUndies: The world’s most comfortable underwear! Visit MeUndies.com/ROLL to get free shipping (in the U.S. & Canada) and 20% off your first pair.
- Connect with Aubrey: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Connect with ONNIT: Website | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
- Subscribe to The Aubrey Marcus Podcast: on Apple Podcasts | on YouTube
- AM Podcast: #98: No More Excuses! 40 Minutes of Fire with Gary Vee by Aubrey Marcus
- Documentary: Ayahuasca: Drink The Jungle
- Soundtrack: Ayahuasca: Music For Ceremony And Meditation by Porangui
- eBook: Huachuma Mesada: A Journey Beyond Fearlessness by Aubrey Marcus
- Article: The Psychonaut’s Guide to Music For Ceremony and Meditation by Aubrey Marcus
- Onnit Academy: The Iceman Cameth – The Day Onnit Chilled Out with the Wim Hof Method by Sean Hyson
- Video: Joe Rogan Experience #878 – Aubrey Marcus
- Book: Sleep: Redefine Your Rest, for Success in Work, Sport and Life* by Nick Littlehales
- Book: Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas* by Alberto Villoldo Ph.D.
- Forbes: How Aubrey Marcus Built Onnit Into A $28 Million Company In 5 Years by Omaid Homayun
- The Know: The Reality of Truth: A Modern-Day Testament to the Potential of Plant Medicine by Jessica Golich
- Ok Dork: Breaking Rules with Onnit CEO Aubrey Marcus by Noah Kagan
- Ok Dork: How Aubrey Marcus Grew Onnit to $28 Million in Revenue by Noah Kagan
Notable People Discussed
- Joe Rogan: stand-up comedian, color commentator, podcast host, and retired martial artist
- Dr. Gabor Maté: physician, specializes in neurology, psychiatry, psychology, treatment of addiction and podcast guest
- John Mackey: CEO of Whole Foods Market and podcast guest
- Gary Vaynerchuk: (Gary Vee) 4x NY Times bestselling author, speaker serial entrepreneur and podcast guest
- Wim Hof: Meditation & cold exposure expert and podcast guest
- Shawn Stevenson: bestselling author, speaker, nutritionist, strength coach and podcast guest
- Lewis Howes: bestselling author, former pro athlete, USA Team Handball player, top 50 Podcast host and (2x) podcast guest
- Scooter Braun: talent manager best known for discovering Justin Beiber
- Byrd Leavell: literary agent and partner at the Waxman Leavell Literary Agency
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #262: Lessons On Mindset With Kerri Walsh Jennings
- RRP #120: Michael Gervais on How To Master Mindfulness in Sports & Life
- RRP #252: Dr. Michael Gervais On Elite Performance & The Psychology Of Self-Mastery
- RRP #57: Dr. Jeff Spencer On Achieving Prolific Peak Performance & Optimizing Your Best Self With The Champions Blueprint
- RRP #168: Turning Adversity To Advantage: Ryan Holiday On Why The Obstacle Is The Way
- RRP #239: Ryan Holiday On The Perils Of Ego & Inherent Value Of Humility
- RRP #198: It’s An Inside Job: Olaniyi Sobomehin On How To Maximize Potential In Sport & Life
- RRP #231: “The Iceman” Wim Hof On Why Breath Is Life, Cold Is God & Feeling Is Understanding
- RRP #188: Addiction Is Not A Choice: Dr. Gabor Maté’s Call For A Compassionate & Holistic Approach To Healing
- RRP #219:How To Sleep Smarter With Shawn Stevenson
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.