“A good night of sleep starts the moment you wake up in the morning.”
You cannot underestimate the value of an incredible night’s sleep.
On the rare occasion I awake from 8 hours of dead to the world slumber, everything is better. I am more present, alert and productive. The quality of my interactions with family and friends is significantly enhanced. Colors are brighter. My mood is sunnier. And physically, I feel amazing. So I can’t help but wonder:
what would my life be like if I could sleep that well every night?
Intellectually, we all know sleep is super important. But most — including myself — fail to acknowledge just how crucial sleep is to every aspect of our daily lives. Traditionally, sleep is the first thing I compromise when I get busy.
Sleep is for whimps!
But I’ve completely changed my tune on this issue. As I age, achieving optimal sleep quality has become increasingly elusive. And I have become more attuned to the extent to which my day is negatively impacted by sub-optimal sleep. So I have recently committed to experimenting with a number of techniques and strategies (some obvious, some not) to improve what I now understand and appreciate is absolutely essential to living a balanced, healthy and optimally productive life.
I’m happy to say it’s working.
This is a long way of saying that I have been thinking alot about sleep lately. So I’m excited to share this conversation on the subject with sleep expert Shawn Stevenson. A wellness evangelist and host of the Model Health Show podcast, Shawn also recently authored Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success*.
I had a great time on Shawn’s podcast about a year ago (click here to listen), so it was fun to explore his compelling personal journey with wellness and dive deep into the subject of sleep. Specific topics include:
- Shawn’s struggles with health & depression
- hitting rock bottom as a catalyst for change
- environmental epigenetics
- strategies to combat preventable illnesses
- the effects of sleep on your daily life
- sleep as a force multiplier
- the relationship between cortisol & melatonin
- the benefits of early morning activities on cortisol levels
- sleep & temperature regulation
- optimizing cortisol rhythm through light therapy
- sex & sleep
- the health impact of sleep deprivation
- magnesium & melatonin supplements
- addressing chronic insomnia
Shawn is a great guy with a velvety voice custom made for podcasting. But more importantly, this conversation is packed with practical advice, powerful tools and helpful information that will enhance your appreciation for sleep and just might impact your daily life experience profoundly. So pay attention. Take notes. And enjoy.
Peace + Plants,
Check out our new online course: The Ultimate Guide To Conscious Relationships
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
SeatGeek.com: The web’s largest event ticket search engine is offering Rich Roll listeners a $20 dollar rebate off their first purchase. Download the FREE SeatGeek app, go to the settings tab and click ‘Add a promo code’. Enter promo code “ROLL” and SeatGeek will send you $20 dollars after you’ve made your first ticket purchase.
Check out Shawn’s new book: Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success*
Background, Context & Reference:
- BCMJ: The impact of sleep deprivation in resident physicians on physician and patient safety: Is it time for a wake-up call? by Vikram Comondore, MD
- Book: Acid and Alkaline* by Herman Aihara
- AppState: Early morning exercise is best for reducing blood pressure and improving sleep by ASU News
- HuffPost: How Mobile Phones Affect Sleep by Katy Hall & Chris Spurlock
- Harvard: Blue light has a dark side
- Salon: Turn off the tube, have more sex by Lori Leibovich
- HuffPost: Germs Suffer “Jet Lag” And Can Make You Fat byJason Tetro
- NYPost: 4 Ways To Have Better Night’s Sleep
- Book: Dressed To Kill: The Link between Breast Cancer and Bras* by Sydney Ross Singer
- f.lux is software that changes your computer or mobile device display depending on the time of day
- EASE Magnesium Spray*
- ChiliPAD* Cooling & Heating Mattress Pad
Notable People Discussed:
- Kelly Starrett: coach, physical therapist, author, speaker, & creator of MobilityWOD
- Justin Sonnenburg: Associate Professor of Microbiology at Stanford
- Sara Gottfriend, MD: physician, author, & public speaker
- Gary Vaynerchuk: entrepreneur, investor, author, public speaker, and internet personality
- Chalene Johnson: American physical fitness authority, choreographer, author, and entrepreneur
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- TMHS #099: Incredible Benefits Of Raw Foods, Ultra Endurance & The Plantpower Way With Rich Roll
- RRP #007: Michael Greger, MD on Omega-3’s Protein & Plantpowered Performance
- RRP #011:Ben Greenfield On Optimizing Endurance Training
- RRP #059:Ben Greenfield On Nutrition, Fitness, Online Entrepreneurism, Homeschooling & What Happened When He Trained For An Ironman On A Low Carb / High Fat Ketosis Diet
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Obsession With Protein
- RRP #192: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD On How Not To Die
- RRP #209: Rhonda Patrick On Longevity, Epigenetics, Microbiome Health & The Difference Between Eating For Long-Term Wellness Versus Performance
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.