“There was a time when you believed anything was possible and I want to bring people back to that. And I think the mountains do that.”
Imagine being the very best in your sport. Undefeated, the future is bright indeed. But deep down the zero sum game of competition just doesn’t sit right. Because for you, sport isn’t about winners and losers. It’s about play. It’s about freedom. It’s about love.
But mostly it’s about artistic self-expression.
This is the story of Lynsey Dyer.
One of the best big mountain skiers on the planet, Lynsey is an extraordinary and most unexpected athletic talent who walked away from competition at the peak of her potential to courageously blaze her own path. A unique path that has helped refine what it means to pursue sport professionally. A path based not on podiums but on adventure. Seeking joy. Empowering others. And expressing one’s unique voice.
Over the course of a decade long career, Lynsey has won every big mountain competition that she entered. She has also won several freesking competitions and awards including the 2004 International Free Skiers Association North American tour champion. In 2010, Powder Magazine awarded her Best Female Performance for her role in Magic Moments. She has been awarded Female Skier of the year by Powder Magazine, was the first female to be on the cover of Freeskier Magazine and has starred in too many ski films to mention, including projects from legendary filmmaker Warren Miller.
Lynsey has starred in or hosted television shows for NBC, ESPN, Bravo, The Ski Channel, Mountainfilm and Outside Television, has appeared on Good Morning America and even produced, directed and starred in her own film, the widely acclaimed Pretty Faces — an all female ski film featuring the best athletes from around the world that beautifully celebrates female empowerment and the transformative power of play. When she isn’t crushing powder, Lynsey can be found running her non-profit SheJumps.org, which encourages girls and women to participate in the outdoors through mentorship, and her movie production and apparel company Unicorn Picnic.
An unconventional badass, Lynsey is the personification of strength in femininity. A role model for young women across the world with an ethos I’d like my own daughters to emulate.
This is a conversation about Lynsey’s remarkable life. It’s about female impact on a male dominated subculture. It’s about courage in defying external expectations to follow your own unique path. It’s about the joy and freedom that come from blazing a life of adventure.
Simply put, it’s a conversation about what it means to pursue sport as art.
It was a pleasure connecting with Lynsey. I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set, which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is shipping.
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code “RICHROLL”.
Thanks to Lynsey’s sponsors:
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Lynsey: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Connect with Unicorn Picnic: Website | Facebook | Vimeo
- Connect with She Jumps: Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Lynsey’s Film: Pretty Faces – The Story of a Skier Girl: Vimeo | iTunes
- TEDx Talk: Ski like a girl: Lynsey Dyer at TEDxJacksonHole
- Grind TV: ‘World of Adventure’ hits the slopes with pro skier Lynsey Dyer
- World Of Adventure TV: videos featuring Lynsey Dyer
- The Inertia: Headspace: Big Mountain Skier Lynsey Dyer by Steve Andrews
- Publication: Powder: The Skier’s Magazine
- Publication: Outside Magazine: travel, sports, health, and fitness
- Outside Magazine: 8 Top Women Athletes on the Pay Gap in Action Sports by Kate Siber
- Outside Magazine: (Video) Skier Lynsey Dyer in the Whistler Backcountry | Step Outside
- She Jumps: Get the Girls Out at Beartooth Basin – Recap
- Outdoor Project: Forces of Nature: 10 Female Pioneers of the Outdoor Industry by Nicole Atkins
- Teton Gravity: Lynsey Dyer on “Real Jobs”, Jackson Hole, & Female Skiing by KGB Productions
- Flylow: “Westward”, Episode 4: Lynsey Dyer by KGB Productions
- Freeskier: FIRSTS: Lynsey Dyer reflects on her path to skiing success by Connor W. Davis
- National Geographic: Lynsey Dyer’s Pretty Faces Isn’t Just Another Ski Movie by Avery Stonich
- Mountain Life: MULTIPLICITY 2016: Lynsey Dyer on the Ups and Downs of Living a Life You Always Imagined
- Boise Weekly: Pretty Faces Kicks Men Out of the Picture | The stor(ies) of skier girl(s) by Jessica Murri
Notable People Discussed
- Robin Arzon: athlete, ultra runner, head coach, author and podcast guest
- Laird Hamilton: big-wave surfer, co-inventor of tow-in surfing, fashion and action-sports model
- Warren Miller: renowned ski and snowboarding filmmaker
- Ingrid Backstrom: internationally ranked professional skier
- Todd Jones: former professional skier and pioneers in the action sports entertainment space
- A.J. Cargill: 1997 Freeskiing World Tour winner, first woman to telemark ski the Grand Teton in 2004
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #137: Robin Arzon – Do Epic Shit
- RRP #230: Robin Arzon Wants You To Shut Up And Run
- RRP #262: Lessons On Mindset With Kerri Walsh Jennings
- RRP #301: NASCAR Driver Leilani Münter Is Racing For The Planet
- RRP 088:Olympic Champion Rebecca Soni (Part 1)
- RRP 089:Olympic Champion Rebecca Soni (Part 2)
- RRP #247: The Art of Non-Conformity: Chris Guillebeau On Living an Unconventional Life & The Power of Divine Moments
- RRP 170: Conrad Anker On Suffering, Risk, Reward & The Allure of Meru
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
Join us for our next retreat at Ballyvolane in Ireland, July 24-31, 2017. For more information visit ourplantpowerworld.com
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.