“The key to success in life is relationships. And the key to powerful relationships is vulnerability and being real. That’s the quickest way to build a relationship and create connection with someone.”
This week I celebrate my friend and fellow podcaster Lewis Howes, host of The School of Greatness.
A former professional football player and team handball Olympic hopeful who bottomed out before blossoming into a successful online entrepreneur, Lewis defies the stereotype that typically accompanies most successful alpha males. With a glint in his eye, Lewis is warm, incredibly giving, and a stellar example of what life can be like when your heart is open — gratitude in motion.
After an injury prematurely ended his football career, Lewis was depressed, aimless and broke. Yearning for inspiration as he convalesced on his sister’s couch, he arrived at a question:
What kind of life do I want to lead?
Then he got to work. He sought out mentors — people thriving on their own terms. Applying the wisdom of those he respected, he began to create a vision for himself. He learned how to turn adversity into advantage. He cultivated a champion’s mind-set. He hustled. He mastered his body. He practiced positive habits like appreciation, gratitude and mindfulness. He built a winning team. And perhaps most importantly, he learned how to be of service to others.
It worked. Living exactly the life he envisioned for himself daydreaming on his sister’s couch in Ohio, today Lewis is a successful business coach, online entrepreneur, public speaker, podcast host, and now author.
Leveraging his personal experience and the wisdom of his mentors and inspiring podcast guests — Lewis has culled the best of what he has learned in a new book that came out just yesterday appropriately titled The School of Greatness: A Real World Guide To Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, And Leaving A Legacy*.
A primer on how to manifest your own internal greatness, it’s a fun, easy and informative read that not only inspires but provides actionable lessons and practical exercises aimed at helping you create vision and reach your ultimate potential.
On a personal note, I am deeply honored that Lewis includes my story in his book. I’m essentially the primary subject of chapter 5 entitled Master Your Body.
I love this guy. His positivity and integrity is infectious. It is my privilege to support him and his new book by sharing his message with you today.
We cover a lot of ground in this episode, including:
- the pitfalls & advantages of podcast production
- the relationships built from the podcast platform
- mutually beneficial relationships
- giving help and being of service to others
- the power of mentorship
- the importance of feedback and accountability
- the myth of masculinity
- vulnerability in relationships
- letting go of the things that hold you back
- releasing shame
- the most gratifying podcast guests
- writing “The School of Greatness” and the motivation behind it
- the eight principles of greatness
- how to acknowledge the good
Question: To coin Lewis’ term, what is your definition of greatness?
I’d love to hear all about it in the comments section below.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
The National Academy of Sports Medicine: Get paid to stay in shape while helping others reach their fitness goals. Go to MyUSATrainer.com for a free 14-day trial of their fast & fun online program.
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
10% Happier App: Remember RRP #97 alumnus Dan Harris? Well now he has a simple, straightforward intro to meditation designed for skeptics. Download the app and start your free trial today. If you decide to buy the full course, enter offer code “ROLL” at checkout for 20% off.
Check out Lewis’ new book: The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy*
Background, Context & Reference:
- Observer: The Secret Ingredient To A Great Life
- Forbes: Lewis Howes: How He Built A Million-Dollar Business
- Entrepreneur: 4 New Books That Can Change Your Entrepreneurial Life
- The Street: Business Lessons Learned From Lewis Howes
- LewisHowes: What Sharing My Childhood Rape Taught Me About Being a Loving, Vulnerable, Free Man
- LewisHowes: The Key To Transparency In Business
- Book: Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World* by Gary Vaynerchuk
- ColumbusDispatch: CEO Chris Hawker: Inventor believes work should be fun
- Book: The 4-Hour Workweek* by Timothy Ferriss
- Book: The Alchemist* by Paulo Coelho
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Derek Halpern: online entrepreneur, author, podcaster
- Pat Flynn: online entrepreneur, author, podcaster
- Malcom Gladwell: Canadian journalist, author
- Gary Vaynerchuk: social media entrepreneur
- Robert Greene: American author
- Chris Brogan: American author
- Glennon Melton: American author, founder of Momastery.com
- Tony Robbins: American motivational speaker
- Simon Sinek: author, motivational speaker
- Tim Ferriss: American author, entrepreneur
- Danielle LaPorte: public speaker, entrepreneur
- Matthew Arnold: English poet
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 057: Dr. Jeff Spencer on The Champions Blueprint
- RRP 073: Casey Neistat on Making It Count & How To Do More
- RRP 074: Jonathan Fields on Leveraging Mindfulness To Change Your Life
- RRP 144: Casey Neistat’s Absolute Disregard For Failure
- RRP 168: Ryan Holiday on Turning Adversity To Advantage
- RRP 173: Ask Me Anything – Shame Can’t Survive The Light
- RRP 174: Casey Neistat on Trusting Your Instincts & The Principles That Guide A Creative Life
- RRP 178: William MacAskill on ‘Effective Altruism’ & How To Maximize Positive Global Impact
Production by Dean Menta. Music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.