Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Sometimes I feel like some kind of fringe conspiracy theorist. I didn’t used to be this way, I promise. But the more I delve into how things work — truly work — the more amazed I am by what I discover.
I don’t care if you are vegan, locavore, pescatarian, paleo, primal, high-carb, low-carb, or slow-carb. Everyone deserves to be optimally informed when it comes to how our food is harvested, distributed and marketed. And yet, quite unfortunately, most consumers lack even a basic awareness of the dynamics at play, let alone a working understanding of the formidable economic protocols that function behind the production of meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.
It is incumbent upon all of us to take personal responsibility for educating ourselves about the economic machinations that dominate and drive our food system. Why? Because these forces affect all of us, irrespective of dietary preference. And because informed choice is power.
Today on the show I am pleased to introduce David Robinson Simon, attorney, advocate for sustainable consumption, and author of the newly released Meatonomics* — an important, groundbreaking and astoundingly revelatory deep dive into the potent economic, marketing, regulatory & legislative forces that support the meat and dairy industries’ masterful ability to influence and downright undermine informed consumer awareness and decision making when it comes to what — and how much — to eat.
David’s thesis is that such consumer decisions aren’t just misplaced, but in fact manipulated and compelled — often on an unconscious level — by the behemoth animal food producers who effectively co-opt consumers’ buying choices with artificially-low prices fueled by out-of-whack farm subsidies; ubiquitous, powerful but misleading marketing campaigns; and heavy control over legislation and regulatory policy at the highest echelons of government.
Over the course of our conversation, David provides vital insight into how the economics of institutional animal food production hold sway over our spending, eating, health, prosperity, economy, environment and longevity. A perfect storm of almost conspiratorial circumstances that serve — in the macro — to exponentially increase (among other things):
- Annual US taxpayer dollars spent to subsidize meat & dairy;
- The rapid depletion of our forests & soil;
- The level of greenhouse gas emissions that catalyze irrevocable climate change;
- The collapsing of wild fisheries;
- The proliferation of “farmed” fisheries;
- US dietary cholesterol intake;
- The incidence of cancer, diabetes and heart disease related to meat and dairy consumption
- Healthcare costs allocated to treat US cases of diseases related to meat and dairy consumption
For a quick source-supported primer, check out David’s Meatonomics Index— 40 facts and figures that paint a picture of how our meat and dairy intake has spiraled out of control since 1935.
Food for thought.
Thanks for checking out this post and the episode, and I hope you enjoy the conversation.
Meatonomics: How the Rigged Economics of Meat and Dairy Make You Consume Too Much-and How to Eat Better, Live Longer, and Spend Smarter* by David Robinson Simon (Conari Press, 2013)
The Meatonomics Index: Numbers that Tell a Story
David Simon’s Website: Meatonomics
David Simon on Twitter: @meatonomics
The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health* by T. Colin Campbell & Thomas Campbell II (BenBella Books, 2004)
David Simon discusses “Meatonomics”:
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
3. SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW the show on iTunes, Stitcher and Soundcloud and TuneIn.
4. DONATE: Check out the DONATE button on the right hand margin or click HERE to learn more. We even accept Bitcoin!
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!
Great podcast, Rich! It is absolutely appalling how the system works. I am definitely putting meatonomics on my to-read list.
I’m just getting caught up on missed podcasts and I finished this one today. What a great story this guy has to tell us – thank you both for sharing it and awakening us to this madness. I’m also putting it on my must-read list.