America’s #1 killer, heart disease currently kills 1 out of every 3 Americans; 70% of Americans are obese and getting fatter; and Studies forecast that by 2030, 50% of Americans will be diabetic or pre-diabetic.
The great irony in all of this is that, as Dr. Kahn so astutely points out, 80-90% of all chronic health problems can be resolved via pretty simple diet and lifestyle alternations.
The tricky part is translating these lifestyle alterations from theory to practice. I understand that it can be difficult for many, particularly when there is so much confusing information out there concerning about heath, nutrition and diet. So confusing in fact, that it becomes incredibly challenging for even the most savvy consumer to separate fact from fiction and truth from hyperbole.
Just because good news about bad habits makes for tempting clickbait doesn’t mean the information is reliable — its usually not.
To help sift through all of this, I once again sit down for a heart to heart (pun intended) with cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD — you can listen to our first conversation (RRP #44) here.
A Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Michigan’s prestigious Inteflex program (a 6-year undergraduate / graduate program that developed doctors fresh out of high school), Joel has served as Clinical Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) at Wayne State University School of Medicine since 1993. He’s authored over 130 articles on heart disease, is a frequent lecturer on heart disease and its prevention, has performed thousands of cardiac procedures, and has been advising patients on heart healthy programs for over 20 years.
Not only does Dr. Kahn know what he is talking about, his basic message is elementary: if you want to experience true long-term wellness, then you must focus on implementing sustainable long-term preventive protocols into your lifestyle. This starts and ends with diet and active lifestyle.
The specific thrust of this conversation focuses on separating truth from marketing with respect to certain zeitgeist trends in nutrition science. To wit:
Is butter really back?
What are the health impacts of a low carb / high fat diet?
What are the risks (and benefits, if any) of trendy practices like putting butter and oil in your morning coffee?
Is everything we thought we knew about saturated fat truly wrong?
Who was Ancel Keys and what is the import of his nutritional studies?
What is the true impact of dietary cholesterol on arterial and heart health?
Finally, and most importantly, what specific dietary and lifestyle protocols does this veteran cardiologist recommend to maintain optimal heart health in a culture in which heart disease has become a wildly out of control pandemic?
You’ll want to tune in to find out.
Amazingly informative, this is straight talk from a solid guy. An awesome and trusted and educated and experienced and entertaining guy I am proud to call my friend.
I sincerely hope you heed the call and enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
Thank you to this week’s show sponsors:
StrideHealth.com : Matching you with the best insurance for your life.
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson. Thanks boys!
- Whole Heart Solution * by Dr. Joel Kahn
- Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses by Dr. Joel Kahn
- Pastor Rick Warren and the Saddleback Church
- The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life* by Pastor Rick Warren
- Ancel Keys & the Seven Countries Study (Wikipedia)
- Dr. McDougall’s Comments on the National Headline About the March 18, 2014 Annals of Internal Medicine Article Suggesting Saturated Fat Is OK to Eat
- Rich Roll Podcast #25 with Jonathan Schwartz
- Heartview Global Foundation founded by Jonathan Schwartz
- Fat Under Fire : The Dairy Industry Weighs In (Nutrition Action magazine – May 2014)
- While in Detroit visit the Green Space Cafe, which opens March 1st, 2015
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available for pre-order!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.