“The fact that [doctors] are not given the training to use what is almost universally recognized as the most powerful tool [healthy nutrition] is crazy.”
Michelle McMacken, MD
We need more doctors like Michelle McMacken, MD.
Board certified in internal medicine, Dr. McMacken is an assistant professor at the NYU School of Medicine, an attending primary care physician at New York City’s Bellevue Hospital Center and director of the Bellevue Adult Weight Management Clinic, where she specializes in plant-based nutrition and lifestyle medicine.
Interestingly, Dr. McMacken wasn’t always all that intrigued by nutrition. Not surprisingly, her medical school experience was woefully lacking in this regard. But after eight years of medical practice, she was becoming progressively distressed by her obesity clinic patients’ general inability to get — and stay — healthy.
Determined to find better, more sustainable solutions for her patients led to a search engine result for “lifestyle change” that prompted Michelle to attend the American College of Lifestyle Medicine Conference– a game-changing experience that enlightened her to a holistic, disease preventive perspective on patient care that ultimately reinvigorated and forever altered her medical practice.
Beyond her one on one work with patients, many of which are underprivileged, what is uniquely inspiring about Dr. McMacken is her grant-funded commitment to study evidence-based nutritional protocols and apply the practical knowledge to faculty, colleagues & resident doctors. In other words, she is devoted to educating not only her patients about healthy nutrition, but her fellow medical professionals as well — filling the much needed gap in our current system of medical education.
This is an enlightening and highly informative conversation that explores:
- the state of medical education with respect to nutrition
- the responsibility of doctors to practice holistic, preventive medicine
- the significance of a plant-based diet in promoting optimal wellness
- Dr. McMacken’s personal & professional path to plant-based nutrition
- the health impact of high protein diets, ketosis & glycogen depletion
- the differences between animal & plant protein
- alkaline/acid-forming foods and their impact on metabolism
- paleo vs. vegan – finding common ground
- the truth behind dietary cholesterol & saturated fat
- the importance of aligning actions with values
- plant-based patient case studies
I sincerely hope you enjoy our discussion.
What is preventing you from a more holistic approach to long-term wellness? I’d love to hear about your personal challenges in the comments section below.
Peace + Plants,
MyUSATrainer.com: Today’s show was sponsored by MyUSATrainer.com — The National Academy of Sports Medicine is looking for people who want an exciting career in the fitness industry, where you wake up every day doing something you love. Go to MyUSATrainer.com today and receive a FREE 14 day free trial of their fast and fun online program!
Background & Reference:
- Dr. McMacken on Twitter: @Veg_MD
- ForksOverKnives: Michelle McMacken Profile
- WashPost: New York’s first Ebola patient will put Bellevue to the test
- NewYorkDailyNews: Tofu and veggies in the cafeteria: Follow the lead of New York City schools
- ForksOverKnives: Top 5 Misconceptions About Food: A Doctor’s Daily Experience
- ForksOverKnives: 12 Tips for Healthy Weight Loss … with Benefits Beyond the Scale
- BaltSun: Hopkins medical school criticized for using pigs as part of training
- LifestyleMedicine.org: American College of Lifestyle Medicine Conference
- MotherNature: Will Potter’s drone army sets its sights on factory farms
- The China Study* by T. Colin Campbell
- Meatonomics* by David Simon
- Becoming Vegan* by Brenda Davis, RD
Resources Recommended by Dr. McMacken:
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Dean Ornish, MD
- Neal Barnard, MD
- Michael Greger, MD
- Caldwell Esselstyn
- Garth Davis, MD
- Tim Noakes
- Mark Devries
- Gene Baur
- Robert Ostfeld, MD
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 34: Christian Ledesma & Bob Groff (PS244)
- RRP 20: Sid Garza-Hillman
- RRP 50: Plantpower Crusader Garth Davis, MD
- RRP 140: Eradicating Lifestyle Disease With Cardiologist Robert Ostfeld, MD
- RRP 79: China Study Critics With T. Colin Campbell
- RRP 80: Rethinking The Science of Nutrition With Howard Jacobson, PhD
- RRP 77: Michael Klaper, MD On Leveraging Plant-Based Nutrition to Prevent Disease
- RRP 128: Is Butter Really Back? Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD
- RRP 007: Dr. Michael Greger of NutritionFacts.org
- RRP 138: Living In Alignment With Your Values With Gene Baur
- RRP 62: Meatonomics Author David Simon
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.