“[Animal agriculture] is one of the largest industries on the planet, with the biggest environmental impact. And they are trying to keep us in the dark about how they are operating…”
Will Potter, independent journalist & TED Senior Fellow
A little over a year ago, I shared an amazing conversation with Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn, the dynamic filmmaking duo behind Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret. If you missed that episode, I encourage you to check it out here— it’s one of my most popular episodes to date.
An Inconvenient Truth meets Blackfish, Cowspiracy is an incredibly sobering and powerful (yet also funny and entertaining) documentary that takes a hard, unflinching look at the incredibly negative impact of animal agriculture on the health, well being and sustainability of our planet and it’s precious, dwindling resources.
Whether we are talking about carbon emissions, climate change, the blindingly rapid destruction of our rain forests, over consumption of water, species extinction, the depletion and destruction of our soil, the pollution of our rivers, lakes and oceans or the obliteration of natural wildlife habitats, you might be surprised to discover the very inconvenient and uncomfortable truth that animal agriculture is the industry by far most responsible for the global environmental catastrophe we currently face.
If this is true, then why aren’t we talking about it more?
Cowspiracy is the rather shocking tale of what Kip and Keegan discovered trying to answer this very question.
The little indie film that could, Cowspiracy is a true grassroots phenomenon. Crowd-source funded, rejected by the film festival circuit and lacking distribution, Kip and Keegan spent the last year traveling the country in a van attending independently organized, homespun screenings. Getting the word out one screen at a time, one audience at a time.
Then something truly amazing happened. The film fell into the hands of Leonardo DiCaprio. The biggest movie star in the world didn’t just fall in love with the movie, he came on board as Executive Producer with a mission: that Cowspiracy become required viewing for everyone and anyone who gives a slightest damn about the health of our planet.
This week that mission moves towards reality. On Tuesday, September 15, Cowspiracy will premiere on Netflix worldwide. For those of you that have already seen the film, this is a new and improved cut — tighter with updated facts, it demands another view.
The impact of Leonardo’s name and credibility on the film’s reach is astronomical and cannot be overstated. I am extremely proud to be an early supporter and associate producer on this project. I’m excited for mainstream audiences to finally discover this important film. I’m over the moon that Kip and Keegan will now be recognized on a mass level for their incredible work.
But mostly I am excited for the dynamic environmental conversation that will inevitably ensue. And the positive changes to follow.
Picking up where our first conversation left off, today’s podcast covers a lot of ground, including:
- the broad effects of animal agriculture on society
- ethical & environmental concerns
- the fallacy of ‘sustainable’ livestock
- the Alan Savory myth
- soil & ecosystem degradation
- educating charitable organizations
- grass roots vs. mainstream media
- how Leonardo DiCaprio got involved
- the Netflix effect on enviro advocacy
Kip and Keegan are truly breaking paradigms. Making the world a better place. And changing lives with what I think is the most important film of the year.
I aspire to their level of courage and advocacy. And I sincerely hope you enjoy this exchange.
Peace + Plants,
A new cut of Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret, executive produced by Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Davisson and Appian Way Productions, will be available exclusively on Netflix in all territories September 15, 2015!
Pre-order your copy of The Sustainability Secret: Rethinking Our Diet to Transform* by Keegan Kuhn, Kip Andersen & Chris Hedges (Release date – Oct 20, 2015)
Background, Context & Reference:
- Cowspiracy by Keegan Kuhn & Kip Andersen
- A.U.M. Films: aumfilms.org
- UN Report: Livestock a major threat to environment
- Washington Post: USDA’s Wildlife Services killed 4 million animals in 2013; seen as an overstep by some
- Allan Savory TEDTalk: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change
- HuffPost: Ag-Gag Laws Are Un-American and Unconstitutional
- Film Trailer: The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Film: Forks Over Knives*
- Host a theatrical event: tugg.com
- YouTube: Going Vegan? (Ben Brown discusses Cowspiracy: 9:00)
- YouTube: Falling Out a Tree? (Louis Cole discusses Cowspiracy: 12:05)
- Center For Biological Diversity
- Take Extinction Off Your Plate Campaign
- Factory Farm Awareness Coalition provides education in schools about animal agriculture & the environment
- Truth or Drought addresses the connection between animal-based diets & increasing water scarcity
- Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s 30 Day Vegan Challenge
- Drought awareness! SkipShowersForBeef.com
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Allan Savory: Holistic Management
- Morgan Spurlock: Filmmaker
- Lisa Lange: Senior VP of Commincations, PETA
- Darren Aronofsky: Film Director
- Leonardo DiCaprio: Actor
- Alejandro González Iñárritu: Film Director
- Ben Brown: Vlogger
- Louis Cole: Vlogger
- Casey Neistat: Film Director
- James Cameron: Filmmaker
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 35: Gene Baur on Factory Farming & Ag-Gag Bills
- RRP 62: David Simon on Meatonomics
- RRP 79: T. Colin Campbell on Disease Prevention/Reversal
- RRP 80: Howard Jacobson on Rethinking The Science Of Nutrition
- RRP 91: Keegan Kuhn & Kip Andersen on Cowspiracy
- RRP 139: Dan Buettner on How To Live To Be 100+
Special thanks to today’s sponsor Squarespace: the easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog or online store for you and your ideas. Visit Squarespace.com and enter offer code “roll” at checkout for 10% off.
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.