“Meat consumption is just as dangerous to public health as tobacco use. It’s time we looked into holding the meat producers and fast-food outlets legally accountable.”
Neal Barnard, M.D.
There’s nothing I can do — it’s genetic.
Without a doubt, many of us have predispositions to developing certain diseases.
But predisposition is a far cry from predetermination.
In fact, you might be surprised to learn the vast extent to which we can control the expression of genetic inclinations when it comes to so many of the chronic illnesses that are unnecessarily killing millions of people annually — including modern-day plagues like heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
This week I’m thrilled to sit down for a long overdue conversation with my friend Neal Barnard, MD to discuss the innate, incredible power we all possess to prevent and even reverse the onset of these illnesses through implementation of fairly simple simple diet and lifestyle alternations.
A pre-eminent authority on the impact of diet & nutrition on atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer’s, Dr. Barnard is an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences as well as the founder and president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, where he leads programs advocating for preventive medicine, good nutrition, and higher ethical standards in medical and scientific research.
Over the course of his career, Dr. Barnard has led numerous research studies investigating the effects of diet on diabetes, body weight, and chronic pain. He’s authored over 70 scientific publications as well as 17 books, including the New York Times best-sellers Power Foods for the Brain, 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart, and the USA Today best-seller Dr. Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes.
If that’s not enough, Dr. Barnard recently christened the Barnard Medical Center, a brand new, ground-breaking non-profit primary care medical practice where board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered dietitians help patients prevent and reverse serious health problems, leveraging a holistic approach that involves tackling the actual causes of illness, with extra attention on nutrition.
Chock-a-block with life-altering information, this is a profound conversation about food as medicine.
It’s about the impact and importance of self-sovereignty — prioritizing personal responsibility for what we put in our mouths, how we move our bodies and advocate for change.
And it’s about the incredible power of nutrition to heal ourselves.
One of the most intelligent, articulate, tireless and well-respected voices on the subject of optimal wellness and disease prevention, it’s an honor and privilege to share my friend’s abundant wisdom and practical experience with you today.
So break out the notepad and enjoy this powerful exchange with one of my favorite people.
P.S. – Please stick around to the very end for a special treat. The show concludes with a musical performance by none other than Neal himself (who knew!). Written by Dr. Barnard and featuring him on lead guitar, Song for a Sparrow is performed by his rock band Verdun. For more on Neal’s band, visit verdunmusic.com
Peace + Plants,
A few spots are still available for our next retreat — check out this video & visit ourplantpowerworld.com
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
RING has designed a myriad of products designed to reduce crime in communities. For a limited time, Rich Roll Podcast listeners get $50 off the ‘Ring of Security Kit’. Visit Ring.com/Rich.
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting www.casper.com/roll and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Neal: Facebook | Twitter | Verdun
- PCRM: Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
- YouTube: Tackling diabetes with a bold new dietary approach: Neal Barnard at TEDxFremont
- The Power of Food for Health: Food For Life
- American College of Cardiology: acc.org
- USDA’s Dietary Guidelines Progress: ChooseMyPlate
- CBSNews: Bye-bye, pyramid – hello, plate: Timeline of food guidelines
- DoctorKlaper: Q&A: This Doctor’s Take On Dairy
- NIH: NIH study finds cutting dietary fat reduces body fat more than cutting carbs by Krysten Carrera
- ScienceDaily: High animal protein intake associated with higher, plant protein with lower mortality rate
- HuffPost: New BMJ Study May Fuel Confusion Over ‘Bad’ Fats by Dr. Neal Barnard
- TheRumpus: The Big Idea #1: Dr. Neal Barnard by Suzanne Koven
- TheKindLife: Preventing Cancer With A Plant-Based Diet By Dr. Neal Barnard by Dr. Neal Barnard
- Forbes: Food that Might Protect Your Brain and Save Your Life: A Discussion about the Ecology of Alzheimer’s With Dr. Neal Barnard by Michael Charles Tobias
- MeatlessMonday: Food, Health & the Issue of a Generation:A MM Interview with Dr. Neal Barnard
- TheAspenInstitute: Dr. Neal Barnard: Foods for Protecting the Body and Mind
- DietDetective: Diet Detective Interview with Dr. Neal Barnard, Founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine by Charles Platkin, Phd
- Cleveland: Author Dr. Neal Barnard encourages plant-based, vegan diet by Evelyn Theiss
- Washintonian: Food Diaries: How George Washington University’s Dr. Neal Barnard Eats for a Day by Melissa Romero
- Philly: V for Veg: Talking brain health with nutrition expert Dr. Neal Barnard by Vance Lehmkuhl
- KPBS: Protect Your Memory With Dr. Neal Barnard by Dr. Neal Barbard
- MindBodyGreen: Q & A with Dr. Neal Barnard of PCRM by Jason Wachob
- VegNews: Groundbreaking Vegan Medical Center to Open in 2016 by Veronica Houk
Notable Books by Dr. Neal Barnard
- Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes*
- 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health*
- Power Foods for the Brain*
- Foods That Cause You to Lose Weight: The Negative Calorie Effect*
- Foods That Fight Pain: Revolutionary New Strategies for Maximum Pain Relief*
- Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings—And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally*
- Turn Off the Fat Genes: The Revolutionary Guide to Losing Weight*
- Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life*
- The Power of Your Plate: A Plan for Better Living Eating Well for Better Health*
- A Physician’s Slimming Guide: For Permanent Weight Control*
Notable People Discussed
- Andy Bellatti: nutritionist who approaches nutrition from a whole-foods, plant-centric framework
- Denis Burkitt: surgeon most known for his dietary fiber research
- T. Colin Campbell: biochemist who specializes in the effect of nutrition on long-term health
- Gerald Shulman: pioneered the use of magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) to non-invasively examine intracellular glucose and fat metabolism in humans
- Dean Ornish: physician and founder of Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California
- Kevin Hall: Senior Investigator for the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Christina Warinner: Assistant Professor of Anthropology at the Univ. of Oklahoma
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #077: Leveraging Plant-Based Nutrition To Treat, Prevent & Reverse Disease With Dr. Michael Klaper
- RRP #128: Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD: Is Butter Really Back?
- RRP #140: Eradicating Lifestyle Disease With Cardiologist Robert Ostfeld, MD
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein
- RRP #162: Michelle McMacken, MD On Holistic Lifestyle Medicine & Promoting Optimal Wellness Through Plant-Based Nutrition
- RRP #192: Live Dirty, Eat Clean: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD On How Not To Die
- RRP #212: Ray Cronise on Disrupting Nutritional Science
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, interstitial music and audio engineering; Chris Swan for production assistance & show notes; Shawn Patterson for graphics.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our brand new Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.