“I continue to be amazed by our bodies’ ability for self-repair. Our bodies want to be healthy, if we would just let them. That’s what these new research articles are showing: even after years of beating yourself up with a horrible diet, your body can reverse the damage, open back up the arteries and even reverse the progression of some cancers. So it’s never too late to start exercising and never too late to start eating healthier.”
Michael Greger, MD
A graduate of Cornell and Tufts University School of Medicine, Dr. Greger has published in a litany of scientific journals, testified before Congress and lectured at countless symposiums and institutions, including the Conference on World Affairs and the National Institutes of Health. He was even an expert witness in the infamous Oprah Winfrey meat defamation lawsuit and has appeared all over television on shows like Dr. Oz and The Colbert Report.
By day, Michael Greger, MD, FACLM can be found crafting high level policy initiatives as Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture for the Humane Society of the U.S. But more often than not he’s traipsing the globe, hopping from podium to podium to deliver one of the hundreds of lectures he serves up annually.
By night, Dr. Greger scours thousands of medical journals in search of the world’s best, most objective nutrition research to bring you free videos and articles every single day as chief wizard behind NutritionFacts.org– the world’s most authoritative, non-profit online destination for all things nutrition, health and disease prevention.
If you’ve never before visited this site, I highly suggest you check it out immediately. A comprehensive clearinghouse that inspects every imaginable facet of nutrition and health, NutritionFacts.org features hundreds of impeccably researched, easily understandable and straight to the point videos — always my first stop when I want to get to the bottom of any question I have about food, diet and disease.
Apparently Dr. Greger doesn’t sleep. Because amidst all of this, he still found time to write a new book that hits booksellers everywhere this week. But How Not To Die* isn’t just any book — it’s a straight up game changing must read. Clocking in at over 600 pages, it’s an exhaustive, heavily researched, encyclopedic examination of how nutritional and lifestyle interventions can help prevent and even reverse the 15 top causes of premature death in America.
Not only has Dr. Greger delivered a ground-breaking tome for the ages, 100% of fees and proceeds he receives from speaking and book sales are donated to charity.
Quite a powerful testament to this man’s level of selfless service to humanity.
If you are a long-time listener, you know Dr. G and I go way back. He was one of my very first guests on the RRP. Now he’s back to talk more about his life, his research, and How Not To Die – a subject I think we can all get behind.
Specifics covered include:
- the core idea behind How Not To Die
- the daily dozen foods to focus on
- the fifteen leading causes of death
- confirmation bias in nutritional research
- conflicts of interest in scientific studies
- independent studies & objective criticism
- reconciling reductionism with holistic analysis
- auto-immune disorders
- organic vs. non-organic foods
- GMOs and excessive pesticides
- evolution of the food pyramid
- how to rewarding doctors for keeping people healthy
Dr. Greger is one of my very favorite people on the planet. I’m delighted to share his message with you today and I sincerely hope you enjoy the listen.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
StrideHealth: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. For more information and to save over $400 annually on the perfect health insurance plan for you, go to stridehealth.com/roll today.
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting casper.com/roll and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Michael’s new book, How Not To Die* hits bookstores everywhere on December 8th, 2015.
Background, Context & Reference:
- NutritonFacts.org on YouTube
- NYTimes: What’s in Your Green Tea?
- CNN: Processed Meat Causes Cancer, Says WHO
- Greger on Atkins: Atkinsexposed.org
- TruthTobacco: Smoking And Health Proposal
- TheLancet: Can Lifestyle Changes Reverse Coronary Heart Disease? by Dean Ornish, M.D.
- NutritionFacts: Prebiotics: Tending Our Inner Garden by Michael Greger, M.D.
- NutritionFacts: Are Organic Foods Safer? by Michael Greger, M.D.
- NutritionFacts: Are Organic Foods More Nutritious? by Michael Greger, M.D.
- RealNatural: Plant-based Nutrition Reduces Fatigue, Depression and Anxiety by Case Adams
- RichRoll: Coconut Oil: Panacea Or Artery Clogger?
- Pritikin Institute: pritikin.com
- Atkins Exposed: atkinsexposed.org
- Plant Positive: Primitive Nutrition YouTube Channel
- PCRM: 21-Day Vegan Kickstart Program
- ComedyCentral: The Enemy Within – Hedgehogs (Video, Colbert Report with Michael Greger, MD)
- McDougall: Michael Greger Discusses Diabetes And The Dangers Of Low Carb Diets
- ForksOverKnives: Michael Greger, MD Articles
- Care2: Michael Greger, MD Articles
- HuffPo: Michael Greger, MD Articles
- Science-Based Medicine: Death As A Food-Borne Illness Curable By Veganism
- DiseaseProof: Dr. Fuhrman Interviews Michael Greger, MD
- VeganCoach: Interview With Michael Greger, MD
Books Relevant To Today’s Podcast:*
- How Not To Die: Discover The Foods Scientifically Proven To prevent And Reverse Disease*, by Michael Greger, MD
- Carbophobia: The Scary Truth About America’s Low Carb Craze*, by Michael Greger, MD
- The Microbiome Solution: A Radical New Way To Heal Your Body From The Inside Out*, by Robynne Chutkan, M.D.
- Prevent And Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure*, by Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.
- Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession With Meat Is Killing Us And What We Can Do About It*, by Garth Davis, MD
Notable People Discussed In Today’s Podcast:
- David Katz: nutrionist & founding director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale
- Dean Ornish: physician & president of the Preventive Medicine Research Institute
- Caldwell Esselstyn: American physician and author
- Johanna Dwyer, DSc, RD: American professor & director of the Frances Stern Nutrition Center
- Michelle Simon: public health lawyer
- Gene Stone: American writer and editor
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #007: Michael Greger, MD on Omega-3’s Protein & Plantpowered Performance
- RRP #028: Plant-Based Nutritionist Andy Bellatti M.S., RD
- RRP #044: Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease With Joel Kahn, MD
- RRP #068: Matt Ruscigno: Plantpowered Dietitian
- RRP#077: Dr. Michael Klaper On Plant-Based Nutrition To Treat & Prevent Disease
- RRP #079: The China Study & Beyond With T. Colin Campbell
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Obsession With Protein
- RRP #192: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.