“More produce and less loneliness keep the heart doctor away.”
Joel Kahn MD
Recent years have seen the ascendency of low-carb, high fat diets. Indeed, the ketogenic lifestyle has been heralded as a veritable health panacea.
In parallel, we bear witness to mainstream acceptance of the plant-based approach to vitality, lifestyle disease prevention and reversal.
The debate pitting these distinct approaches to nutrition is as emotional as it is divisive — an impassioned war for hearts and minds waged across the scientific literature, mainstream publications and the internet that can leave even the most intelligent and well-intentioned consumer utterly baffled.
So who’s right?
To help divine the line between truth and fiction, Joel Kahn, MD joins the podcast for his third appearance.
Dr. Kahn is an Interpreventional Cardiologist, Clinical Professor of Medicine at Wayne State University School of Medicine, Founder of the Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity in Michigan, and a Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Michigan’s prestigious Inteflex program (a 6-year undergraduate / graduate program that developed doctors fresh out of high school). He’s authored hundreds of articles on heart disease, is a frequent lecturer on heart disease and its prevention, has performed thousands of cardiac procedures, and is the owner of GreenSpace Café in Ferndale and Royal Oak Michigan.
This a comprehensive and highly instructive conversation that endeavors to provide needed clarity when it comes to the aforementioned debate — a deep dive into the veracity of nutritional research findings to provide the information you need to promote maximum health, hinder lifestyle disease, and abet longevity.
In addition, we explore emerging research on the benefits of intermittent fasting and why everyone should get a coronary calcium scan.
Amazingly informative, this is straight talk from a trusted and experienced man I’m proud to call friend.
As a final note, this podcast episode is also available in video format on YouTube. If you are enjoying the video version of the show, please subscribe to my channel at youtube.com/richroll to be alerted when new videos post.
I sincerely hope you find our conversation instructive — because health is wealth.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
22 Days Nutrition: the 100% plant-based, 100% USDA certified organic nutrition products and meal delivery platform designed to meet the needs of your healthy, active life. For 10% off all products (including the meal delivery) and free shipping, visit 22daysnutrition.com/richroll and use promo code RICHROLL at checkout.
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set,which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is shipping.
Health IQ: Life insurance for the active and healthy! Don’t overpay for life insurance every again. To learn more and get a free quote, go to HealthIQ.com/ROLL
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Joel’s latest book: The Plant-Based Solution*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Joel: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | GreenSpace Café
- YouTube: Kip Andersen, Dave Asprey, Dr. Joel Kahn: “The Ideal Diet…” | Talks At Google
- Reference: Ancel Keys & the Seven Countries Study (Wikipedia)
- Articles by Dr. Kahn at: mindbodygreen
- Thrive Global: The Biggest Heart Celebration: The Value of a Calcium Score of Zero by Joel Kahn, MD
- Best Self Magazine: Wholeheartedly Vegan: This Cardiologist Practices What He Preaches, The Plant-Based Solution by Joel Kahn, MD
- The Michigan Daily: Joel Kahn: a doctor’s call for the celebration of veganism by Jenna Barlage
- Khachi Life: A Plant-Based Approach: In Conversation With Dr. Joel Kahn, “America’s Healthy Heart Doc”
- YouTube: EPIC TV DEBATE: The Doctors VS ‘What the Health’ | Plant Based News
- Documentary: What The Health* by Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn
- Documentary: Forks Over Knives*: by T. Colin Campbell
- Book: Presto!: How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales* by Penn Jillette
- Book: The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight* by Valter Longo
- Book: How Not To Die* by Dr. Michael Greger
Notable Books by Joel K. Kahn MD
- Your Whole Heart Solution: What You Can Do to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Now*
- Vegan Sex: Vegans Do it Better: Dump Your Meds and Jump in Bed*
- Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses: The Ultimate Guide to Survive Your Career With A Healthy Heart*
- The No B.S. Diet Book: Science-Based Recommendations to Stay Healthy and Medication Free–Without the B.S.*
Notable People Discussed
- Dr. Garth Davis: Plant-based bariatric surgeon & author of Proteinaholic* and podcast guest
- Dr. Michelle McMacken: plant-based primary care physician and podcast guest
- Dr. Robert Ostfeld: Plant-based cardiologist, Director of Preventive Cardiology at Montefiore NYC and podcast guest
- Dr. Neal Barnard: American doctor, author, founding president of PCRM and podcast guest
- Dr.Dean Ornish: physician and founder of Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California
- Michael Greger, M.D.: Physician, Speaker, and NY Times bestselling author & founder of NutritonFacts.org and (2x) podcast guest
- Valter Longo, PhD: Professor in Gerontology and Professor in Biological Science. He is also the Director of the USC Longevity Institute.
- John Mackey: CEO of Whole Foods Market and podcast guest
- Dan Buettner: National Geographic Fellow, Blue Zones founder, NY Times bestselling author of The Blue Zones Solution* and (2x)
- Julieanna Hever: author of “The Plant-Based Dietitian“, speaker, health and fitness expert, lifestyle coach and podcast guest
- Ray Cronise: former NASA scientist turned innovator focused on disrupting diet and nutrition advice; podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #44: Integrative Cardiologist: Joel Kahn, M.D. How A Plant-Based Diet Can Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease
- RRP #77: Michael Klaper, MD on Leveraging Plant-Based Nutrition To Prevent & Reverse Disease
- RRP #128: Is Butter Really Back? Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD
- RRP #140: Robert Ostfeld On Eradicating Lifestyle Disease
- RRP #162: Prevent Disease & Thrive with Michelle McMacken, MD
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD on How Not to Die
- RRP #242: Neal Barnard, MD – The Power of Nutrition To Heal
- RRP #325: Cardiologist Kim Williams, M.D. Wants To Eradicate Heart Disease
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein
- RRP #212:Ray Cronise On Our Broken Plate
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes (see the Alice Cooper commercial here); Shawn Patterson for graphics; and Michael Gibson for videography. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.