“Attraction always works better than promotion.”
This episode features the audio from a live event I hosted this past summer at Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin with Stephen & David Flynn of The Happy Pear.
Long-time listeners will well remember David and Stephen from #RRP 233, one of my most popular episodes of 2016. Since then the lads have made two subsequent appearances on the show in episodes 331 and 380.
For those newer to the show, The Happy Pear are the joined-at-the-hip identical twin brothers behind a family run chain of natural food stores and cafés in Ireland as well as a line of organic, locally harvested plant-based food products available across the UK.
The face and voice of Ireland’s quickly growing healthy food revolution, the twins are omnipresent on social media and the bestselling authors behind a series of runaway smash-hit plant-based cookbooks, including The Happy Pear (of course), World of the Happy Pear, and their most recent release, The Happy Pear: Recipes for Happiness.
Today’s exchange opens with an extended monologue on the power of decisions by your truly. Extends to embrace the innate power we all possess to change and grow. Pivots to the importance of community. And opens up to audience Q&A on everything from healthy eating habits to how best to catalyze change in others.
I talk about the power of decisions. The importance of community. And the fact that we are all capable of positive change – and how to be a beacon to catalyze change in others.
This event inspired me to host more live experiences. At home and beyond. If you’re in favor me taking the show on the road, I’d love to hear from you.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the listen.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Calm: The #1 App for Meditation and Sleep with 100+ guided meditations covering anxiety, focus, stress, sleep, relationships and more. Plus 7-day and 21-day programs for both beginner and advanced users. For a limited time, my listeners can get 25% off a Calm Premium subscription at Calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today!
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the coupon code “RICHROLL” at checkout.
Peloton – Discover this cutting-edge indoor cycling bike that brings the studio experience to your home. Get a great workout at home, anytime you want. Go to onepeloton.com, use the code RICHROLL and get $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase.
Check out Stephen & David’s latest cookbook: The Happy Pear: Recipes For Happiness*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Rich: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Connect with The Happy Pear: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram
- Follow David & Stephen on Snapchat: @thehappypear
- Recommended reading by Rich Roll: Tools To Unleash Your Best Self
- Ötillö: Rich Roll & Chris Hauth Interview After Ötillö 2017
- Check out Rich’s Book: Finding Ultra*
- Check out Rich and Julie’s Book: The Plantpower Way*
- Check out Rich and Julie’s Book: The Plantpower Way Italia*
- David & Stephen’s online 5-week plant-based eating program: Happy Heart
- The IrishTimes: The Unstoppable Ascent of The Happy Pear
- The IrishTimes: The Happy Pear: ‘When we started, people looked at us with pity’
- The Journal: Meet the twins behind the happiest, healthiest restaurant in Ireland
- The Journal: Meet The Twins Behind The Happiest, Healthiest Restaurant in Ireland
- The Journal: Happy Pear twins talk working on three hours sleep, no days off and those Jedward comparisons
- Film: What The Health
Other Books by The Happy Pear
- Happy Pear Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from the First Ten Years*
- The Happy Pear: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Food to Change Your Life*
- The World of the Happy Pear*
Notable People Discussed
- Jamie Oliver: celebrity chef and restaurateur
- Henry David Thoreau: American author, philosopher
- Lewis Pugh: one of the world’s leading inspirational speakers, maritime lawyer, ocean advocate and a pioneer endurance swimmer. Lewis recently swam the (348 mile) length of the English Channel in 49 days
- Kim Williams MD: Vegan cardiologist, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, served as its president from 2015 to 2016 and podcast guest
- Dr. Garth Davis: Plant-based bariatric surgeon & author of Proteinaholic* and podcast guest
- Joel Kahn M.D.: plant-based cardiologist, author, public speaker & 2x podcast guest
- Frank Lipman MD: celebrity doctor, author, physician from South Africa and podcast guest
- Rangan Chatterjee, MD: British physician, author, television presenter, podcaster and podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #380: Finding Joy In Simplicity With The Happy Pear
- RRP #233: Stephen & David Flynn Are The Happy Pear: Creating A Mainstream Health Movement To Inspire Healthy Living
- RRP #331: Live In Dublin With The Happy Pear
- RRP 100: Julie Piatt on The Power of Community for Transformation
- RRP #102: The Power Of Community To Catalyze Positive Social Change with Amanda Slavin
- RRP# 278: “What The Health” – How Corporate Collusion Is Making Us Sick & Costing Us Trillions“
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.