“If you’re happy with really simple things, it’s a lot easier to find joy every day.”
The Happy Pear
Conducted live during our recent Plantpower Italia retreat, this special mid-week edition of the podcast features my third conversation with Stephen & David Flynn.
Longtime listeners are well-acquainted with these Irish laddies. Stephen and David first appeared on the show back in June 2016 (#RRP 233) and again in November 2017 (RRP #331), a conversation captured before a live audience at Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin.
For those newer to the show, David and Stephen are the joined-at-the-hip identical twin brothers behind The Happy Pear, a family run chain of natural food stores and cafés in Ireland as well as a robust line of organic, locally harvested plant-based food products available across the UK.
The face and voice of Ireland’s quickly growing healthy food revolution, the twins are omnipresent on social media and the bestselling authors behind a series of runaway smash-hit plant-based cookbooks, including The Happy Pear (of course), World of the Happy Pear, and their most recent release, The Happy Pear: Recipes for Happiness.
The Happy Pear isn’t just two energetic twin brothers. It isn’t just a series of cafés, cookbooks and food products. It’s a movement. A movement rooted in family and community with one singular goal — to make healthy food and lifestyle mainstream. When the super fit dads aren’t making pre-school breakfast picnics on the beach, engaging in impromptu handstand competitions, conducting community-oriented health education courses or traveling extensively for public speaking, they enthusiastically guide a vast and devoted global audience of wellness warriors across every social media platform from YouTube to Instagram with an endless stream of highly entertaining, quality nutrition and fitness tips, recipes and daily slice-of-life vlogs with inspiration for miles.
Picking up where our last conversation left off, please enjoy my exchange with two of the most charismatic and emphatic advocates for healthy living I have ever met.
Final Note: During my recent visit to Dublin a few weeks ago, I co-hosted another live event at Smock Alley Theatre with the boys. So if you enjoy their company, you can look forward to that conversation & audience Q&A, which I will be sharing here in the coming months.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
On Running: Born in the Swiss Alps, On Running shoes feature the first patented cushioning system which is activated only when you need it – during the landing. To learn more about On go to www.on-running.com/richroll.
MeUndies: This Valentine’s season, get 15% off your matching pair of the softest underwear you will ever wear, Free Shipping, and a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee when you visit MeUndies.com/roll
Legal Zoom: Legal built for you No complicated forms. No robots. Just answer some questions and we’ll take care of the paperwork for you. Get started today at: legalzoom.com and enter the promo code RICHROLL at checkout for special savings.
Check out Stephen & David’s latest cookbook: The Happy Pear: Recipes For Happiness*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Rich: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Connect with The Happy Pear: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram
- Follow David & Stephen on Snapchat: @thehappypear
- Check out Rich’s Book: Finding Ultra
- Check out Rich and Julie’s Book: The Plantpower Way
- Check out Rich and Julie’s Book: The Plantpower Way Italia
- Check out Julie’s book: This Cheese Is Nuts
- David & Stephen’s online 5-week plant-based eating program: Happy Heart
- The IrishTimes: The Unstoppable Ascent of The Happy Pear
- TheIrishTimes: The Happy Pear: ‘When we started, people looked at us with pity’
- TheJournal: Meet the twins behind the happiest, healthiest restaurant in Ireland
- TheJournal: Meet The Twins Behind The Happiest, Healthiest Restaurant in Ireland
- TheJournal: Happy Pear twins talk working on three hours sleep, no days off and those Jedward comparisons
- Article: Slaying the Protein Myth by Rich Roll
- Recommended reading by Rich Roll: Tools To Unleash Your Best Self
- Film: Forks Over Knives*
- Film: What The Health
- Film: Cowspiracy
- Film: The Game Changers (Coming Soon!)
Other Books by The Happy Pear
- Happy Pear Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from the First Ten Years*
- The Happy Pear: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Food to Change Your Life*
- The World of the Happy Pear*
Notable People Discussed
- Jamie Oliver: celebrity chef and restaurateur
- Patrik Baboumian: Vegan strongman and podcast guest
- Caldwell Esselstyn:American physician, author and former Olympic rowing champion
- Dr.Dean Ornish: physician and founder of Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #233: Stephen & David Flynn Are The Happy Pear: Creating A Mainstream Health Movement To Inspire Healthy Living
- RRP #331: Live In Dublin With The Happy Pear
- RRP #201:Vegan Strongman, Patrik Baboumian on Why Compassion Is His Greatest Strength
- RRP# 278: “What The Health” – How Corporate Collusion Is Making Us Sick & Costing Us Trillions“
- RRP #274: Idea Architect Douglas Abrams: Cultivating Joy, Collaborating With Spiritual Masters & Elevating Consciousness
- RRP #267: Guru Singh: A Master Spiritual Teacher On The Power Of Cultivating Awareness To Awaken Your Highest Self
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production and show notes; Interstitial music by SriMati, photos by Leia Marasovich and graphics by Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.