“Make your default mode one of generosity. It’s a nice way to live, and it’s contagious.”
Frank Lipman MD
Health isn’t the absence of disease. It’s a total state of physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social wellbeing.
Frank Lipman, MD gets it. And today’s conversation reflects this very ethos.
A leading trailblazer in Functional and Integrative Medicine, Frank began his training in his native South Africa. Disillusioned with the limitations of conventional medicine, he then spent 18 months working at clinics in the bush. Introduced to local traditional healers (sangomas) kindled an interest in non-traditional healing modalities, catalyzing a passion for combining the best of Western medicine with age-old Eastern techniques of healing, including acupuncture, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine, meditation, and yoga.
Today Frank treats patients holistically as the founder and director of Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in New York City. In addition, he is a New York Times best-selling author of six books: Total Renewal*, Revive*, The New Health Rules*, 10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat* and Young and Slim for Life*.
His newest book is entitled How To Be Well*, a beautifully illustrated primer on improving and strengthening your resilience, functioning, and overall health.
This conversation expands the aperture on what is required to live truly well. It’s about understanding food as the very building blocks of life. It’s about the primacy of sleep and movement. It’s about how to mitigate and prevent the invisible assaults of everyday toxins. It’s about the importance of carving out time to unwind and reboot. And it’s about our innate need to connect with each other in order to awaken and enhance a sense of belonging and meaning
But most of all, this is a conversation about the power we all have to take better control over the quality of our health and lives.
One caveat: Frank is not vegan or plant-based. Let’s just say we don’t exactly see eye to eye on everything. But we are great friends who extend a mutual respect for each other. We agree on the majority of things that contribute to wellness and disease. And we enjoy poking fun at each other over our differences.
If we want to advance the conversation on the future of health, there is something to be said for building bridges. I offer this conversation in the spirit of that sentiment.
Frank is delightful. I found this conversation both enjoyable and informative. I hope you do too.
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the coupon code “RICHROLL” at checkout.
Mountain Rose Herbs: is a grower, processor, distributor, and retailer of organic herbs, spices, teas, and other sustainably grown and harvested ingredients. We focus on the environmental and social impact of every business decision we make. Go to Mountainroseherbs.com and enter coupon code ‘Rich’ in the cart during checkout and receive 10% off through June 30, 2018.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Frank’s latest book: How to Be Well: The 6 Keys to a Happy and Healthy Life*
Background, Context & Reference:
- Connect With Frank: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
- Articles & Press featuring Dr. Lipman at Be Well Health and Fitness
- mindbodygreen: Dr. Frank Lipman On The Best Diet Ever, Two (Big!) Things Wellness Is Missing & The Future Of Well-Being by Jason Wachob
- Blum Health MD: Dr. Susan Blum Sits Down with Dr. Frank Lipman and Talks “How to Be Well”
- Bon Appétit: We Asked a Doctor ALL the Questions You Had About Sleep by Emma Wartzman
- My Domaine: 3 Ways to Detox Your Body With Minimal Effort (According to a Doctor) by Kelsey Clark
- Reader’s Digest: 13 Silent Signs Your Microbiome Could Be in Trouble by Tina Donvito
- Fox News Health: (VIDEO) 3 Easy Changes for a Healthier New Year with Dr. Manny Alvarez
- YouTube: How to be well in 60 seconds, with Dr Frank Lipman | Peppermint Wellness
- YouTube: Dr. Frank Lipman | 3 Tips To Better Sleep | mindbodygreen
- Book: I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life* by Ed Young
- Blog post: Time To Man Up by Rich Roll
Notable Books by Dr. Frank Lipman
- How to Be Well: The 6 Keys to a Happy and Healthy Life* (NEW!)
- Young and Slim for Life: 10 Essential Steps to Achieve Total Vitality and Kick-Start Weight Loss That Lasts*
- 10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat…: And How YOU Can Stay Young, Slim, and Happy!*
- The New Health Rules: Simple Changes to Achieve Whole-Body Wellness*
- Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again*
- Total Renewal: 7 Key Steps to Resilience, Vitality, and Long-Term Health*
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Zach Bush M.D.: triple board-certified physician and podcast guest
- Valter Longo, PhD: Professor in Gerontology & Biological Science, Director of the USC Longevity Institute and podcast guest
- Seamus Mullen: award-winning chef, restaurateur, cookbook author, cycling enthusiast and podcast guest
- Tristan Harris: co-fonder of Time Well Spent – a nonprofit organization which seeks to reverse the “digital attention crisis”, caused by technology companies designing mobile devices and social media features in order to capture as much attention as possible, regardless of their impact on users’ quality of life
- Harriet Beinfield: licensed acupuncturist, author, and educator practicing Chinese medicine for 40+ years
- Efram Korngold: one of the leading traditional Chinese medicine teachers and practitioners in America
- Dr. Jeffrey Bland: founder and pioneer in the field of Functional Medicine
- Wendell Berry: American philosopher, novelist, poet, environmental activist, cultural critic, and farmer. “People are fed by the food industry that pays no attention to our health and treated by the health industry that pays no attention to our food.”
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #353: Zach Bush, MD On GMO’s, Glyphosate & Healing The Gut
- RRP #367: Fasting For Longevity With Valter Longo, Ph.D.
- RRP #164: How Chef Seamus Mullen Leveraged Holistic Lifestyle Medicine To Heal Himself
- RRP #319: Living In Alignment With Nature — Colin Hudon On Holistic Health, Seasonal Rhythms & The Interconnectedness Of All
- RRP #192: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
- RRP #209: Rhonda Patrick, PhD On Longevity, Epigenetics & Microbiome Health
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.