Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
“Discipline is only difficult until it becomes a habit.”
Man is a microcosm of the macrocosm. The nature that exists outside of us also lives within us. Separation is an illusion.
Indeed, we are all intrinsically connected — to each other and the world that surrounds us. Embracing this fundamental truth lies at the core of ultimate well-being. Because true health doesn’t stop at the kale salad — it requires fidelity to our natural rhythms and a comprehensive, holistic devotion to bettering and balancing not just our physical bodies, but our mental, emotional, and spiritual selves as well.
Returning to the podcast to walk us through this powerful law of nature is Colin Hudon.
A gifted healer, physician of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taoist Arts, Colin is also an herbalist, acupuncturist, tea master, and founder of Living Tea, an enterprise that finds Colin traveling across China, Taiwan, and Malaysia multiple times a year to source and import the finest and rarest old-growth teas and teaware in the world, sharing his expertise and wares in group tea ceremonies, with an eye on opening a tea house in Colorado in 2018.
On point and remarkably instructive, this episode is lifted from Colin’s open dissertation conducted during our Plantpower Ireland retreat this past July.
Most of us live lost in our heads. A predisposition that leaves us disconnected from ourselves, others, and the world. This is about transcending our addiction to thought and information, and how to leverage mindfulness and awareness to live healthier and more fully actualized.
Colin also delivers an amazing primer on what we can glean from Traditional Chinese methods of medicine and healing. A perspective that begins with embracing seasonal rhythms to live in better alignment with the laws of nature.
In addition, it’s also about tea. How tea, and the traditional ceremony around its enjoyment can serve as a powerful, moving meditation — an expression of living art that soothes the soul and enhances vitality.
In anticipation of this episode, Colin was cool enough to create a special offer for listeners to purchase his amazing Living Tea (the only tea I drink) at reduced prices, including an awesome new subscription service called Tea Club, which takes the guesswork out of differentiating his exotic teas. When you sign up, Colin will send you the best seasonably appropriate, rare, old-growth teas (3-4 teas per season) quarterly, plus a bundle of extras, including information on the tea’s origin, optimal brewing techniques and Chinese medical philosophy on how to live a healthy, longevity focused life, including food suggestions and more. When you add the promo code RICHROLL at checkout listeners will get 12% off on your first season. In addition, if you follow Colin on Instagram (@livingtea) and click through the link in his bio to purchase you will also get 15% off on everything he has in stock.
To learn more go to livingtea.net and click on Tea Club and sign up for his newsletter to be first in on future offerings and rebates. And should you happen to find yourself in the Denver area, I highly suggest you schedule a tea ceremony with Colin — as someone who has sat for tea with Colin many times, I can tell you it’s a transcendent experience.
This is not an ad: I do not have any financial or professional association with Colin or Living Tea whatsoever. I do not have an affiliate relationship with Colin nor do I profit in any way from sharing this information. Simply put, people ask me all the time what tea I drink. I drink Living Tea because I honestly think it’s the best. And I wanted to make sure all of you know why and how to get it.
Join us in Italy: If the Ireland retreat sounded cool (it was a giant blast), we are currently taking reservations for our next retreat. It will take place in Tuscany, Italy May 19-26, 2018. For more information and to reserve your spot, visit ourplantpowerworld.com
Let’s get clean water to those in need: On October 20, I turn 51. To celebrate, I don’t want presents. I need for nothing, with one exception: your help. I’m asking that you step up and help make a difference for those less fortunate by helping provide access to something we take for granted every day – clean water — something 663 million people across the world currently live without. So I have partnered with charity: water to create a birthday fundraising campaign that asks for $51 donations from each of you — $1 for every year I have been drinking clean water — 100% of which will be used to build clean water projects for those in need. When they’re complete, charity: water will send us photos and GPS coordinates so we can experience up close the exact community we helped – and that is priceless. To learn more and donate, visit: my.charitywater.org/richroll
Here’s an inspiring look at charity: water’s founder / CEO (and podcast guest) Scott Harrison and the amazing work this organization is doing:
Together we are powerful, Together we can change the world. Let’s focus that energy in a good direction.
Your generosity isn’t just appreciated, it’s needed — now more than ever.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts | YouTube | Soundcloud | Stitcher | GooglePlay
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
22 Days Nutrition: the 100% plant-based, 100% USDA certified organic nutrition products and meal delivery platform designed to meet the needs of your healthy, active life. For 10% off all products (including the meal delivery) and free shipping, visit 22daysnutrition.com/richroll and use promo code RICHROLL at checkout.
DesignCrowd: Custom graphic, logo and web design from over 550,000 designers around the world! Get the perfect custom design, every time! Visit designcrowd.com/RICHROLL or enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout and receive up to $100 off your design project now!
To get 12% off on your first season of Living Tea’s Tea Club, use the promo code RICHROLL at checkout
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Colin: Instagram | Facebook
- Connect with Living Tea: Instagram | Facebook | Website
- Living Tea: 10 Qualities of a Fine Tea
- Living Tea: Music and Tea
- Living Tea: Diet, The Way of Tea and Living in Harmony by Colin Hudon – Qing Yu
- Living Tea: Chinese Medicine and Red Tea by Colin Hudon – Qing Yu
- The Numinous: Magic In Each Sip: How To Host A Living Tea Ceremony by Madeline Giles
- Chinese Medicine Living: The “Hippocratic” Oath of China’s King of Medicine, Sun Simiao
- New Normal Project: Podcast Episode 27: Colin Hudon – Anything coffee can do for you tea can do better
- TED Talk: What if our healthcare system kept us healthy? by Rebecca Onie
- VIDEO: Let’s Talk About Meditation by Rich Roll
- VIDEO: What Is Balance? by Rich Roll
- Film: What The Health
- Film: Forks Over Knives*
- Book: The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time* by Arianna Huffington
- Resource: NCCAOM | The National Certification for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Resource: Tea in China: A Religious and Cultural History* by James A. Benn
Notable People Discussed
- WuDe: Buddhist monk, Tea Master and podcast guest
- Dōgen: was a Japanese Buddhist priest, writer, poet, philosopher, and founder of the Sōtō school of Zen in Japan
- Sun Simiao: was a famous traditional Chinese medicine doctor of the Sui and Tang dynasty
- Arianna Huffington: HuffPost founder, CEO and founder of Thrive Global and podcast guest
- Buckminster Fuller: was a renowned 20th century inventor and visionary
- Dr. Michelle McMacken: plant-based primary care physician and podcast guest
- Dr. Robert Ostfeld: Plant-based cardiologist, Director of Preventive Cardiology at Montefiore NYC and podcast guest
- Scott Harrison: founder and current CEO of the non-profit charity: water / The Spring and podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #316: Let’s Talk About Balance (with Colin Hudon)
- RRP #261: Heal Thyself (with Colin Hudon, Jennifer Ayres and Angela Bäuml-Nicolas)
- RRP #87: WuDe: Zen & The Art & Importance Of Living Tea
- RRP #151: The Zen Of WuDe – Meditations On Buddhist Philosophy, Gratitude & The Art Of Being
- RRP #298: Meditation Master Sharon Salzberg On Real Love & The Art Of Mindful Connection
- RRP #284: Leo Babauta’s Mission To End Human Struggle — Ruminations On Suffering, Simplicity & The Power Of Mindfulness
- RRP #267: Guru Singh: A Master Spiritual Teacher On The Power Of Cultivating Awareness To Awaken Your Highest Self
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering, show notes and interstitial music; Shawn Patterson for graphics; and David Zammit for photography & videography. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Check Out Our New Meal Planner!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Subscribe & Review: iTunes | Stitcher | Soundcloud | TuneIn
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.