“Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest.”
As longtime listeners know well, minimalism, mindfulness & sustainable living are favorite recurring themes of this show. Guests like Andrew Morgan and Joshua Katcher have elucidated our our cultural addiction to fast fashion. Andy Puddicombe, Jason Garner, Light Watkins, Dan Harris, Charlie Knoles, Guru Singh, WuDe and others have espoused the benefits of meditation. And people like Joshua Fields Milburn have shared the strategies and value of learning to live better with less.
Perhaps you even watched Joshua and Ryan Nicodemus’ documentary, Minimalism*. If you did, you may recall seeing Leo Babauta featured. A husband and father of six, Leo is the creator of Zen Habits, one of the largest single-author blogs in the world with a fanatic global fanbase in the millions. Named one of TIME magazine’s Top 10 blogs, Leo was indisputably one of the first prominent voices on the internet advocating the power and beauty of embracing simplicity and mindfulness to transcend the chaos of our daily existence. Through his writing, he has taught millions how to clear mental, emotional, financial and physical clutter so we can focus on what’s most important, create something amazing, and find contentment, purpose and meaning in our lives. Count me a fan.
Today finds Leo with a new goal: to end human struggle.
Audacious? Sure. Naively optimistic? Maybe. But Leo is no ordinary human. Uniquely extraordinary, he might just have what it tales to help birth a new age of consciousness.
Despite the fact that we had never met in person prior to this podcast, I can’t overstate the extent to which Leo’s work positively influenced my personal transformation and continues to this day to inspire my path. An authentic example of the powerful ideals he espouses, it was a personal thrill to finally meet him.
More importantly, our exchange exceeded all expectations.
This is a conversation about how to create healthy, personal boundaries. It’s about the distinction between greed and ambition. It’s about combating our consumerist programming through meditation, yoga, and mindfulness practices. And it’s a conversation about his vegan lifestyle and why he unschools his children.
But overall, this is a potent conversation about the path to self-mastery. It’s about how to let go of negative habits and adopt positive practices with staying power in service to your highest, most authentic self.
Because if you ask Leo, life is for living, not for productivity.
Present, gracious and wise beyond measure, Leo is a rare voice worth heeding. And this is a podcast you’re going to want to listen to more than once.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I enjoyed having it.
Peace + Plants,
Join us for our next retreat at Ballyvolane in Ireland, July 24-31, 2017. For more information visit ourplantpowerworld.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code “RICHROLL”.
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set, which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is just shipping.
Connect With Leo
Zen Habits Mindfulness Retreat in San Francisco (April 21-23, 2017)
Books by Leo Babauta
- The Habit Guide Ebook: My Most Effective Habit Methods & Solutions
- Essential Zen Habits: Mastering the Art of Change, Briefly*
- The Zen Habits Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness
- Ultralight: The Zen Habits Guide to Traveling Light & Living Light
- Zen To Done: The Ultimate Simple Productivity System*
Background, Context & Reference
- Fast Company: Stories By Leo Babauta
- Business Insider: Stories By Leo Babauta
- Success: Articles By Leo Babauta
- Observer: Articles by leo Babauta
- The Minimalist Vegan: A Tea With Leo Babauta From Zen Habits by Michael Ofei
- The Minimalists: A Simpler Family Life: Starting Life Anew With Our Six Kids
- Good Life Project: Leo Babauta On Massive Results And Reality Checks [VIDEO]
- Medium: Business Lessons from Leo Babauta of Zen Habits by George Kao
- 4-Hour Workweek: The Power of Less: Changing Behavior with Leo Babauta by Tim Ferriss
- No Meat Athlete: Leo Babauta on Habits, Simplicity, Running & Diet by Matt Frazier
- Greatist: Finding Balance With Zen Habits’ Leo Babauta by Shana Lebowitz
- Wavelength: This Is How The Creator Of Zen Habits Changed His Life by Kasey Fleisher Hickey
Notable People Discussed
- Andrew Morgan: Director: The True Cost.
- Jason Garner: Former CEO of Global Music at Live Nation, now author, and student of Masters of body, mind and spirit.
- Dan Harris: Journalist, ABC News correspondent, Nightline anchor, author of 10% Happier*
- Charlie Knowles: Vedic Meditation master teacher
- Guru Singh: Celebrated third-generation yogi, master spiritual teacher, author, and musician
- WuDe: Buddhist monk and Tea Master
- Joshua Fields Milburn: Co-creator of “Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things”
- Matt Frazier: vegan ultramarathoner, founder of the No Meat Athlete movement, and author of No Meat Athlete*
- Pema Chödrön: Beloved Buddhist teacher, author, nun and mother
- Thich Nhat Hanh: 90 year old Vietnamese Buddhist monk and peace activist.
- Shunryū Suzuki: was a Sōtō Zen monk and teacher who helped popularize Zen Buddhism in the United States
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #236: Andrew Morgan On The True Cost Of Fast Fashion: The Ethical & Environmental Price Of Clothing
- RRP #179: From A Life Of Matter To A Life That Matters: Jason Garner’s Journey From Music Industry CEO To Spiritual Warrior
- RRP #97: Dan Harris: How A Panic Attack On National TV Led To Meditation As The Path To Happiness
- RRP #43: Charlie Knoles: Mastering The Mind With The Master Of Meditation
- RRP #267: Guru Singh: A Master Spiritual Teacher On The Power Of Cultivating Awareness To Awaken Your Highest Self
- RRP #151: The Zen Of WuDe – Meditations On Buddhist Philosophy, Gratitude & The Art Of Being
- RRP #87: WuDe: Zen & The Art & Importance Of Living Tea
- RRP #253: How To Be A Minimalist: Joshua Fields Millburn On The Power Of Living Deliberately & Contributing Beyond Ourselves
- RRP #54: Matt Frazier: The No Meat Athlete On How He Runs On Plants
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.