“Getting enough sleep doesn’t mean that you are giving up your goals or your desire to achieve and succeed—on the contrary, it makes you more effective…it’s a performance enhancer.”
Arianna Huffington is more productive than you are.
In addition to co-founding The Huffington Post in 2005 (which famously sold to AOL in 2011 for $315 million), she has dominated television news for decades as a globally recognized political pundit; authored 15 books; built multiple profitable businesses; pioneered online journalism; and even ran for Governor of California as an independent in 2003.
Under Arianna’s stewardship, in 2012 HuffPo won a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting, representing a seismic shift in journalism from traditional print prominence to online, cementing digital media’s permanence, force, and legitimacy. Not enough? Arianna has been named to the Time 100 list of most influential people and the Forbes Most Powerful Women list.
So what’s her secret?
The answer might surprise you:
a great night of sleep.
A devoted mom of two college-aged girls, Arianna learned the value of sleep the hard way. A burnout episode several years ago left her chronically exhausted, priming an exploration to redefine what it means to live well — beyond business and financial success. Her NY Times bestselling smash hit Thrive* established her authority on well-being and today she is pioneering a movement — make that a revolution — that debunks the false bravado and cultural, mythical pride associated with burning the midnight oil to instead champion sleep as the key to unlock maximum potential. The tip of Arianna’s latest campaign of insurrection is her new book, The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life One Night At A Time*.
A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to sit down with Arianna at the LA Book Fair to learn more. Arriving replete with full entourage in tow, I admit to being a little intimidated. But with grace and presence, she quickly put me at ease.
In a perfect world, I would have loved the time and bandwidth to delve deeply into Arianna’s upbringing, her political evolution from conservative to liberal, her authorship and her spiritual perspective on the important matters of life. However, I only had a tight hour, so this exchange is focused predominantly on sleep and provides a nice complement to my recent podcast, How To Sleep Smarter With Shawn Stevenson.
Specific topics include:
- the cultural devaluation of sleep in the Industrial Revolution
- Arianna’s ‘wake-up’ call after collapse from exhaustion
- the cutting-edge science behind sleep
- Arianna’s “Third Metric”
- sleep as athletic recovery enhancement
- the foundation of sleep deprivation in colleges
- persistent use of sleep aids & links to Alzheimer’s
- simple transition to sleep & removal of stimuli
- the power of taking naps
- workaholic ethos & the cost of burnout
- finding optimum balance to improve relationships
- segmented sleep & other sleep conventions
Arianna was absolutely delightful. I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Excited to announce the RRP is now available for streaming on Google Play for all Android Devices!
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting www.casper.com/roll and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
KarmaBaker: Enjoy some of the best tasting, made with love and a conscious mindset, vegan and gluten-free desserts. Visit KarmaBaker.com and type in the coupon code “ROLL” at checkout for $10 off your first purchase ($25 minimum order) of shippable baked goods through 12.31.16. Sign up for my newsletter and I will pick 10 subscribers at random in the continental US to win a $50 gift box of baked goods.
Arianna’s newly released book is available now: The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time*
Background, Context & Reference:
- TED: How to succeed? Get more sleep
- Esquire: Men Need To Stop Wearing Their SLeep Deprivation As A Badge of Honor
- HuffPo: Arianna Huffington: My Guide to a Better Night’s Sleep
- HuffPo: Why The Huffington Post Is Going On A Sleep Tour On College Campuses
- HuffPo: Why Arianna Huffington Says ‘Sleep Your Way To The Top’ and 3 Proven Ways To Do So From Ayurveda
- TechCrunch: Don’t Want Your StartUp To Fail? Arianna Huffington Tells FOunders To Go To Bed
- VanityFair: How to Spend the Night at Arianna Huffington’s
- WashingtonPost: Arianna Huffington’s Sleep Machine
- Refinery29: Arianna Huffington Wants You To Fall Back In Love With Sleep
- NYMag: Arianna Huffington, the New Queen of Sleep, Shows Us Around Her Slumber Palace by Dayna Evans
- RollingStone: Arianna Huffington Says Trump Needs More Sleep to Be Less Dumb by Jerry Portwood
- Vogue: Arianna Huffington on How to Get More Sleep—And Why It Will Transform Your Life by Julia Felsenthal
- Forbes: Arianna Huffington Shares How Sleep Can Make Leaders More Productive by Dan Schawbel
- BusinessInsider: From napping at work to clearing your mind before bed, Arianna Huffington just answered all our questions about sleep by Rachel Gillett
- The Guardian: Arianna Huffington on why she wants you to sleep in her bed by Emine Saner
- HuffingtonPost: Why Sleep ‘Ranks Number One’ In Arianna Huffington’s Life by Alena Hall
- NPR: Sleep Deprived: We’re Recharging Our Phones, But Not Ourselves
- Telegraph: Arianna Huffington’s rules for a better night’s sleep – and a stress-free day by Arianna Huffington
- TheRealDeal: Arianna Huffington is having a sleepover at her Soho apartment by Christopher Cameron
- AustraliaNetwork: Arianna Huffington Sparks ‘The Sleep Revolution’ by Nandini Chhatre
- HuffingtonPost: How Mobile Phones Affect Sleep by Katy Hall & Chris Spurlock
- Parade: In Bed with Arianna: Tips for Getting More (and Better) Sleep
- f.lux is software that changes your computer or mobile device display depending on the time of day
- Fortune: Dear Donald Trump, Please Read Arianna Huffington’s New Book About Sleep by Valentina Zarya
- TechCrunch: Don’t want your startup to fail? Arianna Huffington tells founders to go to bed by Sarah Buhr
- HarvardBusiness: There’s a Proven Link Between Effective Leadership and Getting Enough Sleep by Nick van Dam & Els van der Helm
- BCMJ: The impact of sleep deprivation in resident physicians on physician and patient safety: Is it time for a wake-up call? by Vikram Comondore, MD
- HuffingtonPost: Unlocking the Science of Social Jet Lag and Sleep: An Interview With Till Roenneberg by Margaux McGrath
- PageSix: Arianna Huffington’s tips for getting more sleep by Cindy Adams
Notable People Discussed:
- Kobe Bryant: retired professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers
- Andre Iguodala: professional basketball player for the Golden State Warriors
- Jeff Bezos: technology entrepreneur, investor, & founder/CEO of Amazon.com
- Satya Nadella: India-born America business executive and current CEO of Microsoft
- Till Roenneberg: Professor of chronobiology at the Institute of Medical Psychology at LMU in Munich, Germany
- Dr. Francis Collins: Director of the National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Ray Bradbury: American fantasy, science fiction horror and mystery fiction author
- Kathy Freston: American self-help New York Times bestselling author of vegan books and contributor to The Huffington Post
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #043:Mastering The Mind With The Master Of Meditation, Charlie Knoles
- RRP #097: Dan Harris On How A Panic Attack On National TV Led To Meditation As The Path To Happiness
- RRP #124:AMA:Optimize Your Morning Routine To Begin Your Day Right
- RRP #142:From Monk To Entrepreneur: How Andy Puddicombe Became The Modern Voice Of Meditation & Mindfulness
- RRP #219:How To Sleep Smarter With Shawn Stevenson
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production and interstitial music (plus a new tweak on the theme!); Chris Swan for production assistance; Shawn Patterson for his graphic wizardry; and Ana Leimma for the original theme music.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.