“My job is being a manager, cheerleader, salesperson and marketer for these plants that have saved my life.”
Amanda Chantal Bacon
What do you become when your mom is the CEO of a prestigious fashion empire and your dad is a musician accompanying notorious acts like Billy Idol and the art punk group Suicide?
You alchemize that business savvy with artistry. And pivot.
Such is the tale of plant alchemist and holistic heroine Amanda Chantal Bacon – a wellness entrepreneur committed to the idea that food is equal parts art and medicine; as much about pleasure as healing; and that creativity and sustenance can be one and the same.
A graduate of the New England Culinary Institute and former Food & Wine Editor at the LA Times, Amanda served apprentice duties under Suzanne Goin, the James Beard Award winning chef at the famous Luques Restaurant, who served as her mentor and inspiration behind Moon Juice, an online holistic apothecary and chain of elegant community-centric juice shops with three locations across Los Angeles that Amanda founded in 2012.
Amanda is also the author of the exquisite Moon Juice Cookbook*, and has been profiled extensively in the most prestigious publications in the world, including the New York Times Sunday Magazine, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Elle, Vogue, InStyle, and The Hollywood Reporter.
In addition, Amanda is no stranger to controversy. Last year found her square in the Internet’s vicious, vitriolic crosshairs — an experience we explore at length.
This is a conversation about Amanda’s eclectic upbringing and unique entrepreneurial path. It’s about taking control of your education and your path. It’s a conversation about self-care habits, and the power of plants to heal. And it’s about food not just as nourishment, but as an experience.
Spending time with Amanda was soothing and delightful.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
I want to personally thank everyone who responded to my podcast with Scott Harrison and donated to charity: water by joining The Spring. As of the date of this writing, the RRP community has collectively raised enough revenue to build 4 wells annually! Amazing. Inspired by your generosity, my company has decided to sponsor one well per year – so that makes 5 wells for 2017. But why not make it 10? For just $20-$40 in monthly donations (100% of which go directly to clean water projects), you can make an incalculable difference in countless lives by investing in a world where everyone has clean water. There is simply no better feeling than providing a basic, life-altering human right. To learn more and join, please visit The Spring at cwtr.org/richroll.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsor:
AwayTravel.com: Luggage for the modern traveler—lightweight, premium features, and a lifetime warranty. For $20 off a suitcase, visit awaytravel.com/ROLL & use code “ROLL” during checkout.
Do you have what it takes to Everest?
Check out Amanda’s latest: The Moon Juice Cookbook: Cook Cosmically for Body, Beauty, and Consciousness*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Amanda and Moon Juice: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Moon Juice products at: Net-A-Poerter
- The New York Times Magazine: How Amanda Chantal Bacon Perfected the Celebrity Wellness Business by Molly Young
- Vogue: Moon Juice Founder Amanda Chantal Bacon’s Top 3 Tips to Restart Your Body in 2017 by Celia Ellenberg
- Vanity Fair: Amanda Chantal Bacon of Moon Juice Makes Her Mark by Kelly Atterton
- Elle: Drinking the Moon Juice With Amanda Chantal Bacon by Piper Weiss
- The New Yorker: The Moon Juice Gospel of Self by Dana Goodyear
- Huffington Post: Here’s Gwyneth Paltrow’s $200 Moon Dust Breakfast Smoothie by Cavan Sieczkowski
- Huffington Post: Entrepreneur Series: Growing Up and Doing Business With Amanda Chantal Bacon by Marina Chetner
- Hollywood Reporter: Moon Juice Founder on Eating Healthy Fats, Creating Herb-Spiked Cocktails by Michelle Stark
- In Style: Find Out What Moon Juice Founder Amanda Chantal Bacon Packs for a Trip by Christine Whitney
- Uproxx: Can A Month On The ‘Moon Juice Diet’ Make You Into A Sacred Forest Pixie? By Estelle Laure
- Eater: When Will the Food World Embrace Moon Juice? by Nicola Fumo
- Inside/Out: Amanda Chantal Bacon is the founder of Moon Juice, “plant-sourced alchemy to nourish and elevate body, beauty and consciousness”
- Mini: Here’s What Moon Juice Founder Amanda Chantal Bacon Eats in a Single Day by Kate Kirby
- The Fullest: Moon Juice’s Amanda Chantal Bacon
- The Cut: Your Hate Only Makes Amanda Chantal Bacon Stronger by Jessica Pressler
- Taste: Questions for Amanda Chantal Bacon From a Former Moon Juice Skeptic by Ally-Jane Grossan
- Marketplace: From Adaptogens to Power Dust, a look at Moon Juice by Lizzie O’Leary and Hayley Hershman
- YouTube: Wanderlust | Amanda Chantal Bacon: Feasting in Health
- YouTube: Racked | Amanda Chantal Bacon on Why She Founded Moon Juice
- YouTube: The Fullest | Amanda Chantal Bacon: Just Ask
- YouTube: Tienlyn | Beauty from the Inside Out: In the Kitchen with Moon Juice
Notable People Discussed
- Chantal Bacon: (Amanda’s mom), former model and CEO of Betsey Johnson
- Arianna Huffington: HuffPost founder, CEO and founder of Thrive Global and podcast guest
- Pam Krauss: publisher, Pam Krauss Books; editor, Avery at Penguin Random House
- Betsey Johnson: iconic fashion designer
- Billy Idol: 70’s / 80’s punk rocker musician
- Rudolf Steiner: philosopher, social reformer, architect and esotericist
- Alice Waters: chef, author, food activist, and the founder and owner of Chez Panisse
- Suzanne Goin: chef, owner of Lucques
- Darin Olien: author, traveller, super-food hunter, Superlife founder and (2x) podcast guest
- Gwenyth Paltrow: actress, singer, food writer and founder of Goop
- Doug Evans: Founder and Chairman of juicero and podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #244: Alexis Fox & Micah Risk Are Igniting A Social Movement To Help The World Eat Better
- RRP #246: Shalane Flanagan & Elyse Kopecky: How To Run Fast, Eat Slow And Love The Journey
- RRP #109: Kathy Freston On Letting Go Of Perfectionism & Why We Should “Lean In” To Positive Change
- RRP #192: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
- RRP #272: Rachel Carlton Abrams, MD: Listening To Your Body’s Intelligence
- RRP #261: Heal Thyself with Angela Bäuml-Nicolas, Jennifer Ayers and Colin Hudon
- RRP #090: Sujit Sharma, M.D. & Ladell Hill On The Power Of Plants To Nourish & Heal
- RRP #153: Superfoods For Superlife: Traipsing The Globe In Search Of Optimal Nutrition & Longevity With Darin Olien
- RRP #195: Marco Borges’ 22-Day Revolution: A Plant-Based Mission To Transform Mainstream Culture
- RRP #221: Doug Evans Is Revolutionizing Juice
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.