“I don’t think that people purposely want to live a life full of cruelty or necessarily want to add more greenhouse gases to the earth, but there’s something that happens when you go through this process — you become more conscious. And it’s not until you become more conscious that you can actually see what’s in front of you.”
Maybe you know Marco Borges because he trains people like Pharrell. Perhaps you know him as the guy who inspired Jay-Z and Beyoncé (who he also trains) to adopt a plant-based lifestyle, then partnered up with them to launch 22-Days Nutrition – a plant-based nutrition products and meal delivery service that shuttles organic, plant-based gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free meals anywhere in the U.S., right to your doorstep.
I had never met Marco. In fact, until this past Spring, I had never even heard of him. But all that changed in April when this Miami-based celebrity fitness trainer, exercise physiologist and plant-based evangelist was suddenly everywhere: the TODAY show, Good Morning America, TIME magazine and even places like Vogue, Entertainment Tonight, Ryan Secrest and Perez Hilton. A Jay & Bey infused media blitz that launched this guy from below the radar to massive mainstream popularity, fomented a plant-based zeitgeist frenzy and skyrocketed his new book, The 22-Day Revolution: The Plant-Based Program That Will Transform Your Body*, to the top of the New York Times Bestseller list.
When the most culturally significant and influential entertainment couple on the planet embraces the plant-based perspective (even if imperfectly or temporarily), it’s a big deal. The seismic impact can’t be underestimated. People don’t just notice — the tectonic plates of popular culture shift. Conventional attitudes and habits around food change. Our social paradigm forever altered.
So who is the man behind all this?
In full disclosure, my biggest fear was that Marco would be just another trainer leveraging celebrity relationships for personal notoriety and fortune.
But contempt prior to investigation is a recipe for ignorance. I was delighted to discover a remarkable man. A man that completely defies the stereotype and put to rest any questions I may have harbored about the motivations behind his mission.
Marco Borges is true blue. The real deal. A husband and father of three young boys who — at his very core — is about service. Truly passionate about educating and informing mainstream culture about the benefits of plant-based nutrition; doing his very best to spread a message of conscious, compassionate and sustainable living; and working his butt off to provide innovative exercise and nutrition programs, tools and resources to help people – every day people – get fit, healthy and happy and transform their lives for the better.
This is a super fun and informative conversation about Marco’s uncommon, extraordinary life and his most worthy mission. Specific topics covered include:
- self realization and the impact on consciousness
- Marco’s background in Miami spin/club culture
- Marco’s catalyst to plant-based nutrition
- becoming the best version of yourself
- lifestyle choices, empowerment & education
- effective plant-based training
- breaking bad habits
- the importance of incremental & consistent improvement
- entertainer influence in plant-based movement
- developing a friendship with Jay Z & Beyoncé
- entrepreneurship in launching nationwide food delivery
- the fallacy of our protein obsession
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
StrideHealth: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Why wait? Health insurance enrollment just kicked off so go to stridehealth.com/roll today to save over $400 on healthcare for the year. It’s easy coverage in 10 minutes or less, built just for people like us with a team that will take care of you all year round.
Smart People Podcast is a place to hear cool stuff from even cooler people. Each week the creators, Chris Stemp and Jon Rojas, reach out to leading professionals in various industries to pick their oversized brains and pass that information along to their listeners. Check them out on iTunes, and subscribe today. Or go to smartpeoplepodcast.com/rich to view a list of past guests and get episode recommendations from Chris and Jon specifically for The Rich Roll Podcast audience!
Background, Context & Reference:
- NYTimes: Vegans Go Glam by Jeff Gordinier
- NYTimes: Jay Z and Beyoncé Want to Put You in a Vegan State of Mind
- Time: Beyoncé Launches Vegan Meal Delivery Service With Her Trainer
- TODAY: Eat Like Beyoncé: Marco Borges Reveals Singer’s Diet
- Elle: The Beyoncé Diet Is Here
- Vogue: Would You Go Vegan If Beyoncé Told You To?
- PCRM: Marco Borges Dishes Top Foods To Spring Clean Your Diet
- Yahoo: Beyoncé’s Trainer On The Power of Plant-Based Eating
- USA Today: I Ate Like Beyoncé And Lost 16 Pounds
- Ryan Secrest: Marco Borges Talks His Beyoncé Approved Vegan Book
- PCRM: Marco Borges Dishes Top Foods to Spring Clean Your Diet
- TheFashionSpot: Jay Z and Beyoncé’s Trainer and Life Coach Marco Borges on the Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet
- PRNewswire: Beyonce Teams Up With Exercise Physiologist Marco Borges For 22 Days Nutrition
- Perez Hilton: Marco Borges Articles
- ET: Beyoncé’s Trainer Spills On Her Amazing Slim-Down
- Seed Food & Wine Festival Miami: seedfoodandwine.com
Notable Books Discussed:
- The 22-Day Revolution: The Plant-Based Program That Will Transform Your Body, Reset Your Habits, and Change Your Life * by Marco Borges
- Power Moves: The Four Motions to Transform Your Body for Life* by Marco Borges
- The Blue Zones Solution: Eating and Living Like the World’s Healthiest People* by Dan Buettner
- The China Study* by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II
- Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It* by Garth Davis, MD
Notable People Discussed:
- Steve Harvey: American comedian, tv host & actor
- Johnny G: developer of the indoor cycling program called Spinning
- Dean Ornish: physician & Pres. of Preventive Medicine Research Institute
- Pharrell Williams: American singer, songwriter, producer and fashion designer
- Dr. Neal Barnard: American doctor, author, & founding president of PCRM
- Dan Buettner: American explorer, educator, author & public speaker
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 044: Integrative Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD
- RRP 125: How Food Can Fix Your Mood with Heather Lounsbury
- RRP 139: How To Live To Be 100+ with Dan Buettner
- RRP 150: Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein with Garth Davis, MD
- RRP 192: Live Dirty, Eat Clean with Robynne Chutkan, MD
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.