“We’re able to give so much more when we take care of ourselves on a daily basis.”
Making his latest appearance in our ongoing Coach’s Corner series is none other than Chris Hauth, one of the world’s most respected endurance and ultra-endurance coaches.
A sub-9 hour Ironman, Chris (@AIMPCoach) is a former professional triathlete, Age Group Ironman World Champion, and 2-time Olympic Swimmer. In 2006, Chris won the Ironman Coeur D’Alene and went on to be the first American amateur & 4th overall American at the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.
When he’s not training and racing, Chris hosts the Weekly Word Podcast and runs AIMP Coaching, mentoring a wide spectrum of athletes ranging from elite professionals — including Ironman and Western States top finishers, Ultraman winners and Olympic Trials qualifiers — to first time half-marathoners.
Whether you are an elite athlete or just starting out, Chris knows how to get the best out of athletes the right way. A long-time friend and mentor as much as a coach, I have been under Chris’ tutelage since 2008, during which time he deftly guided me through three Ultraman World Championships (’08, ’09 & ’11), EPIC5 in 2010 and the Ötillö Swimrun World Championships in 2017, an event we raced together as a team.
I could have never achieved the level of athletic success I have enjoyed without Chris’ deft counsel, so it is with pleasure that I share more of his wisdom with you today.
Today’s discussion centers around maintaining fitness engagement during the cold winter months, when the halo effect of your New Year’s resolutions have faded and inspiration tends to wane. We cover a wide variety of topics, including:
- setting proper goals;
- creating enthusiasm for your yearly resolutions;
- maintaining connection with your fitness when motivation fails;
- how self-care can provide clarity, reflection and intention;
- why this is the season for functional strength work; and
- the importance of connecting with self and nature through physical activity
2019 is now. Who you want to be come summer begins today. So let’s get after it.
Final Final Note: Together let’s help my friend and team member David Kahn “DK” set some health goals for 2019. Tweet @richroll and @daviddarrenkahn with your suggestions and feedback using the hashtag #DKgoals.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
DesignCrowd: Custom graphic, logo and web design from over 550,000 designers around the world. Get the perfect custom design, every time! Visit designcrowd.com/RICHROLL or enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout and receive up to $100 off your design project now!
Quip: Your one stop solution for oral health! Buy a quip toothbrush from $25 and get up to $5 off your first refill pack by visiting getquip.com/RICHROLL and using promo code “RICHROLL” during checkout.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the coupon code “RICHROLL” at checkout.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Sign up for Chris’ Weekly Word Newsletter full of ultra endurance tidbits, insights, trading tips, nutrition, cool races and more!
Background, Context & Reference:
- Connect With Chris: Website | Twitter | Email
- Chris’ Podcast: The Weekly Word Podcast with Chris Hauth
- Ötillö: Rich Roll & Chris Hauth Interview After Ötillö 2017
- Ötillö: Olympian and Ironman World Champ Chris Hauth returns to ÖTILLÖ
- Rich’s Vlog on Training With Chris: Donner Party!
- Rich’s Vlog on Otillo: It Was Larger Than Life
- AIMPCoaching: Endurance Fueling by Chris Hauth
- AIMPCoaching: Better Than Yesterday by Chris Hauth
- AIMPCoaching: 4 Questions To Start Your Season by Chris Hauth
- XTRI: Interview with Chris Hauth
- XTRI: Chris Hauth: Throwing Up A Brick – Learning To Understand “Bad” Workouts by Chris Hauth
- Book: Born to Run* by Christopher McDougall
Triathlon Event: S.O.S. | Survival Of The Shawangunks
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Mike Mahler: author, vegan athlete, pro kettle bell instructor, hormone expert and podcast guest
- Yuval Noah Harari: historian, lecturer, author Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind *, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow*, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century* and podcast guest
Kílian Jornet: professional sky runner, trail runner, ski mountaineer and long-distance runner
Simon Whitfield: retired Olympic triathlon champion from Canada who has won 10 consecutive Canadian Triathlon Championships titles
Rickey Gates: cross country and ultra runner who is currently running every street in San Francisco
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #377: Training Versus Exercise: Chris Hauth On The Athlete Mindset
- RRP #313: ÖTILLÖ! Meeting Nature Writ Large
- RRP #297: How To Train Smart: Coach’s Corner With Chris Hauth
- RRP #309: Patience Is Everything With Chris Hauth & Caroline Burckle
- RRP #329: Off-Season Fitness With Chris Hauth
- RRP #021: Chris Hauth On Endurance Training For Maximum Results
- RRP #256: Chris Hauth: Building Better Athletes
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Download Our Free App: Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.