“Stay healthy, stay motivated and be positive.”
Today, I am once again joined by Chris Hauth (@AIMPCoach) for another edition of Coach’s Corner focused on maintaining fitness with engaged enthusiasm as we navigate the winter months.
For those new to the show, Chris is a sub-9 hour Ironman, former professional triathlete, two-time Olympian and one of the world’s most respected endurance coaches. In 2006, Chris won the Ironman Coeur D’Alene and went on to be the first American amateur & 4th overall American at the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.
When he’s not training and racing, Chris runs AIMP Coaching, mentoring a wide spectrum of athletes ranging from elite professionals — including Ironman and Western States top finishers, Ultraman winners and Olympic Trials qualifiers — to first time half-marathoners. Under Chris’ tutelage since 2008, he deftly guided me through three Ultraman World Championships, EPIC5. and now Ötillö.
A friend and mentor as much as a coach, Chris has been my personal coach since 2008, expertly guiding me through three Ultraman World Championships (’08, ’09 & ’11), EPIC5 in 2010 and the 2017 Ötillö Swimrun World Championships in Sweden this past September – which we raced together as a team.
Today we discuss:
- The importance of rest & taking a break from training;
- eating and training with the season;
- how to set goals and formulate a plan for the new year;
- work-life-training balance;
- sustainability — learning how to enjoy your fitness; and
- bucket list events and what each of us is looking forward to in 2018
On another note, I am looking to hire a filmmaker/photographer. As you may know, David Zammit joined me 2 months ago as my collaborative partner on video and photography projects. During this time, we made a fruitful leap to filming the podcast and created a few other cool pieces (with more on the way). Ultimately, the job turned out to not be the right fit for David, who returned home to Malta. For the record, I loved working with him. We’re good friends and he may return to Los Angeles at some point. However, his departure has left me back at square one. Therefore, I am once again putting the word out for a filmmaking / editing / photographer comrade in arms. I will be revisiting all of the previous submissions of course, but I thought it worth putting out another call. Here is what I am looking for:
- availability to work full time (or most of the time) and in person (no virtual arrangements);
- extensive editing experience in either FCP or Premiere;
- experience with graphic design & After Effects
- extensive camera experience (owning great equipment a plus);
- can multi-task as a filmmaker, editor and photographer
- alignment with my mission & fundamental understanding of the opportunity
The job is evenly divided between documentation (e.g., podcast & instructional projects) and art (e.g., vlogs, motivational pieces, etc.). In addition, I am not looking for someone to simply do as I ask, but rather an individual who understands and appreciates aesthetics and collaboration, can bring me new ideas, and ultimately elevate my visual presence across multiple channels.
I understand this is a big ask. It will take a very specific person to fill this role, so please only submit if you meet all the qualifications. But if you think you have the goods and appreciate the value of the opportunity, I would love to hear from you.
E-mail submissions to [email protected] with the subject line: “Video Opportunity”
For those visually inclined, the video version of the podcast is viewable on YouTube.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Four Sigmatic: A superfood company founded by a group of Finnish friends. They aim to popularize medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in more mainstream products like coffee and hot cocoa. Visit www.foursigmatic.com/roll and enter the promo code ROLL at the checkout and save 15% on your order!
StrideHealth: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Find the perfect health plan for you—go to stridehealth.com/richroll and save over $400 for the year. It’s easy coverage in 10 minutes or less, built just for people like us.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Chris: Website | Twitter | Email
- Apple Podcasts: The Weekly Word Podcast with Chris Hauth
- The New York Times: A Brutal Competition, Island to Island, in Sweden by Adam Skolnick
- AIMPCoaching: 4 Questions To Start Your Season by Chris Hauth
- AIMPCoaching: Better Than Yesterday by Chris Hauth
- AIMPCoaching: Endurance Fueling by Chris Hauth
- XTRI: Interview with Chris Hauth
- XTRI: Chris Hauth: Throwing Up A Brick – Learning To Understand “Bad” Workouts by Chris Hauth
- ACTIONHUB: ÖTILLÖ: A Revolutionary Sport for Both Land and Sea by Lauren Montemurri
- Flickr: Ötillö Swimrun World Championships 2017 Photo Gallery
- YouTube: Donner Party!
- YouTube: It Was Larger Than Life
- YouTube: ÖTILLÖ The Swimrun World Championship – LIVE 2017
- YouTube: Rich Roll & Chris Hauth Interview After Ötillö 2017
- YouTube: ÖTILLÖ The Swimrun World Championship – 2016
- Slowtwitch: The passion behind ÖTILLÖ by Lars Finanger
- Slowtwitch: Epic conditions at 2017 ÖTILLÖ World Championships by Herbert Krabel
- Slowtwitch: A 2017 ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship gallery by Herbert Krabel
- Website: ÖTILLÖ – Swim Run World Series
- Website: Ultraman World Championships
- Website: Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #313: ÖTILLÖ! Meeting Nature Writ Large
- RRP #297: How To Train Smart: Coach’s Corner With Chris Hauth
- RRP #021: Chris Hauth On Endurance Training For Maximum Results
- RRP #256: Chris Hauth: Building Better Athletes, Training For Optimal Performance & Achieving Fitness For Life
- RRP #285: Louis Cole On Living The Life of Adventure (with Chris Hauth)
- RRP #322: Ask Me Anything: Rich Roll On Training, Racing & Service
- RRP #252: Dr. Michael Gervais On Elite Performance & The Psychology of Self-Mastery
- RRP #293: How To Achieve Peak Performance — And Sustain It — With Brad Stulberg & Steve Magness
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.