“When I can be in the headspace of service — am I giving? How can I give better? — then the rest seems to take care of itself.”
Welcome to another Ask Me Anything in-between-isode edition of the podcast with yours truly.
Recorded live during our Plantpower Ireland retreat this past July, this is a dynamic discussion that covers a wide-range of topics. Subjects covered include:
- how my approach to training, racing and nutrition has evolved over the years;
- my approach to racing Ötillö (this was recorded prior to that event);
- good pain v. bad pain – i.e., distinguishing laziness from the need to rest;
- my role models & influences; and
- thoughts on meditation, spirituality & service.
In addition, I was asked how Julie and I work together as a team — balancing our similarities and differences. Plus Julie sheds some light on her interesting backstory.
As an aside, if this retreat sounds fun (it is!), we are currently taking reservations for Plantpower Italia, May 19-26, 2018. To learn more and nab your spot (it will sell out), visit ourplantpowerworld.com
I sincerely hope you enjoy the listen.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Let’s get clean water to those in need
On October 20, I turn 51. To celebrate, I don’t want presents. I need for nothing, with one exception: your help. Right now 663 million people currently live without clean water. So I have partnered with charity: water to create a birthday fundraising campaign that asks for $51 donations from each of you — $1 for every year I have been drinking clean water — 100% of which will be used to build clean water projects for those in need. When they’re complete, charity: water will send us photos and GPS coordinates so we can experience up close the exact community we helped – and that is priceless. To learn more and donate, visit: my.charitywater.org/richroll
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
DesignCrowd: Custom graphic, logo and web design from over 550,000 designers around the world! Get the perfect custom design, every time! Visit designcrowd.com/RICHROLL or enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout and receive up to $100 off your design project now!
Four Sigmatic: A superfood company founded by a group of Finnish friends. They aim to popularize medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in more mainstream products like coffee and hot cocoa. Visit www.foursigmatic.com/roll and enter the promo code ROLL at the checkout and save 15% on your order!
Background, Context & Reference
- VIDEO: “It Was Larger Than Life” Rich’s Ötillö Swimrun World Championships Re-Cap
- Listen to Julie’s Podcast: Divine Throughline
- Get Julie’s Book: This Cheese Is Nuts! – Delicious Vegan Cheese At Home
- Check out Rich’s Book: Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming one of the World’s Fittest Men and Discovering Myself
- Check out Rich and Julie’s Book: The Plantpower Way: Whole Food Plant-Based Recipes and Guidance for The Whole Family
- Film: Forks Over Knives*: by T. Colin Campbell
- Book: Thrive, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Plant-Based Whole Foods Way to Staying Healthy for Life* by Brendan Brazier
- Event: Epic5 Challenge: 5 Iron Distance Triathlons – 5 Hawaiian Islands – 5 Days
- Event: ÖTILLÖ – Swim Run World Series
Notable People Discussed
- John Moffett: former swimming world record holder and 1980 & 1984 Olympian
- David Goggins: Navy SEAL, Endurance Athlete and podcast guest
- Colin Hudon: Physician of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, founder of Living Tea and multiple episode podcast guest
- Chris Hauth: Top endurance coach, current age group Ironman World Champion, former Olympic Swimmer, Rich’s personal coach and multiple podcast guest
- Chris Guilebeau: author, blogger, speaker, World Domination Summit founder and podcast guest
- Brendan Brazier: former endurance athlete, author, & plant-based advocate
- Sanjay Gupta: neurosurgeon and media reporter
- Gunnar Lovelace: founder / CEO of Thrive Market and podcast guest
- Jonas Colting: Swedish ultra triathlon Champion and 3 time ÖTILLÖ winner
- Gordo Byrn: World Champion Ultra Distance (2002) and co-author of Going Long: Training for Triathlon’s Ultimate Challenge*
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #285: Louis Cole On Living The Life of Adventure (with Chris Hauth)
- RRP #252: Dr. Michael Gervais On Elite Performance & The Psychology of Self-Mastery
- RRP #261: Heal Thyself – with Colin Hudon, Jennifer Ayres and Angela Bäuml-Nicolas
- RRP #119: How To Pursue Your Dream When Your Partner Is Non-Supportive | Ask Me Anything |
- RRP #303: It’s An Inside Job — Melbourne Q & A
- RRP 234: Up Your Game
- RRP#215: Do What You Love — PLUS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
- RRP #208: Don’t Compromise: Living An Expansive Life, The Divine Throughline, Thoughts On Bowie & Why All Roads Lead To Meditation
- RRP #181: How To Get Good At Gratitude — Plus: What It’s Like To Be Profiled In The New York Times
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.