“It’s hard to beat the person that won’t quit.”
What’s it like to be the very best in the world at something?
Today I explore this question and so much more with a woman who truly needs no introduction.
Not only is Lindsey Vonn the most decorated female skier in history, she’s the most decorated skier period – man or woman – in US history.
One of the few world-class, four-event ski racers, Lindsey is a 4-time Olympian, a 3-time Olympic medalist, the only American woman to win downhill gold, and the only American woman with 4 World Cup titles. All told, she has 82 World Cup wins in her career, the most of any female skier in history. Only 4 World Cup wins now separate Lindsey from the record set by Ingemar Stenmark in 1989.
Eclipsing this once thought untouchable achievement is the final goal propelling Lindsey into her final professional season.
Off the slopes, Lindsey is a media mogul. A regular on “Most Marketable” athlete lists, she has been profiled in every major media outlet across the globe and graced the cover of publications such as Fitness, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, TV Guide and many others.
Not enough? Lindsey sank a hole-in-one during one of her very first full 18 holes of golf. So there’s that.
Lindsey’s victories are self-evident. Less appreciated are the countless obstacles she has faced and overcome over the course of her legendary career. From potentially career-ending injuries to debilitating bouts with depression to weathering the haters and naysayers, Lindsey’s trajectory skyward has been neither linear nor charmed. In point of fact, she has tenaciously fought for all everything she has achieved – falling and failing often.
Her motto? When you fall, get right back up. And never, ever quit.
It’s Lindsay’s fearlessness and relentless persistence that most impresses — qualities I explore as the focus of today’s conversation.
So what drives this champion? And what can we learn from her mindset, process and experience?
Listen, learn and enjoy.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Calm: The #1 App for Meditation and Sleep with 100+ guided meditations covering anxiety, focus, stress, sleep, relationships and more. Plus 7-day and 21-day programs for both beginner and advanced users. For a limited time, my listeners can get 25% off a Calm Premium subscription at Calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today!
Peloton – Discover this cutting-edge indoor cycling bike that brings the studio experience to your home. Get a great workout at home, anytime you want. Go to onepeloton.com, use the code RICHROLL and get $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase.
Health IQ: A new paradigm insurance company that helps health conscious people get special rates on term life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/ROLL to support the show and learn more.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Lindsey’s book: Strong Is the New Beautiful: Embrace Your Natural Beauty, Eat Clean, and Harness Your Power*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Lindsey: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Charity: Lindsey Vonn Foundation
- Apparel: Lindsey Vonn Collection | Under Armour
- Team USA: Lindsey Vonn | Alpine Skiing
- Red Bull Athletes: Lindsey Vonn | Alpine Skiing
- Red Bull TV: Lindsey Vonn: The Climb: Her Extraordinary Comeback
- New York Magazine: What Lindsey Vonn Can’t Live Without by Lindsey Vonn
- The New York Times: People Call Lindsey Vonn the World’s Greatest Skier. Does She Need the Olympics? by Bill Pennington
- TIME: Lindsey Vonn – First American woman to win an Olympic gold medal in downhill skiing
- ESPN: Lindsey Vonn planning to retire after 2018-19 World Cup season
- Today: Lindsey Vonn, the actress? Skier contemplates show business after Olympics by Lindsey Ashcraft and Eun Kyung Kim
- CNN: Alpine skiing: Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin & co. gear up for new season by Rob Hodgetts
- Fox News: Olympic skier Lindsay Vonn announces she is ‘definitely retiring’ after 2018-2019 season by Elizabeth Stanton
- People: Lindsey Vonn to Retire After 2018-2019 Ski Season: ‘It Has Been a Great Ride’ by Lindsay Kimble
- Popsugar: Lindsey Vonn Has Some Serious Core and Leg Strength — Here’s the Proof by Tamara Pridget
- Vail Daily: Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed wins mark
- Deadspin: Lindsey Vonn Is Going For Broke In Her Last Olympics by Amanda Ruggeri
- The Washington Post: Are some Americans rooting against Lindsey Vonn? Just check her mentions. by Cindy Boren
- Film: ICARUS dir. Bryan Fogel
Notable People Discussed
- Robin Arzon: NYC-based marathoner and Peloton cycling instructor, author of: Shut Up and Run: How to Get Up, Lace Up, and Sweat with Swagger* and 3x podcast guest
- Darin Olien: author, traveller, super-food hunter, Superlife founder and (3x) podcast guest
- Bryan Fogel: Academy Award-winning American film director (ICARUS), producer, author, playwright and podcast guest
- Dwayne Johnson: “The Rock” – actor, producer, and semi-retired professional wrestler
- Picabo Street: former World Cup alpine ski racer and Olympic gold medalist
- Roger Federer: professional tennis player; currently ranked world No. 3 in men’s singles tennis
- Serena Williams: professional tennis player; ranked her world No. 1 in singles on eight separate occasions between 2002 and 2017
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #307: Big Mountain Skier Lynsey Dyer On Sport As Art
- RRP #344: Danica Patrick Is Pretty Intense — Life Lessons From The World’s Greatest Female Race Car Driver
- RRP #364: Hilaree Nelson On The Virtues Of Living An Adventurous Life
- RRP #355: From Eating Disorder To Olympic Glory: Dotsie Bausch On Defying Age & Championing Compassion
- RRP #375: How Des Linden Won Boston: Lessons On Big Goals, Showing Up & Loving The Work
- RRP #275: Kimberley Chambers Swims With Sharks: The World’s Greatest Female Marathon Swimmer On Turning Adversity To Advantage
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering, interstitial music and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics. Portraits by Reece Robinson. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.