“I so believe in unchecking all the boxes and then creating your own or just living in that fluid space where you’re redefining yourself everyday.”
It’s not that powerful female role models don’t exist. They do. They’re everywhere.
We just don’t do a good enough job celebrating them.
So this week, I’m pleased to shine a bright spotlight on one of my favorite examples of female self-empowerment.
Meet Robin Arzón.
At the height of her corporate law career, Robin fearlessly left it all behind to embark on new adventures in the health and wellness space. She soon discovered her passion for coaching athletes, bridge running New York City, tackling ultra-marathons (she just completed her first 100-mile run and once ran five marathons in five days across Utah) and hosting wildly popular indoor cycling experiences that bear more resemblance to after-party raves than your typical spin class.
But it’s not what she does that makes Robin special. It’s who she is.
There was the time she was kidnapped and held at gunpoint. Then there’s the recent Type 1 diabetes diagnosis that persistently threatens to sideline her active lifestyle. But Robin isn’t interested in playing the victim. She’s interested in telling a different story. A story writ large that involves constant reinvention and tenacious commitment to personal growth. A narrative that aims to redefine, reform, and rethink possibility through movement.
Human performance art in motion, Robin is a powerhouse of positive vibes. Confident, colorful and courageous with a no bullshit attitude and NYC street cred for days, she is inspiration personified. And she’s got a message for you:
sweat transforms lives.
Now Robin can add author to her resume, because her incredible new book Shut Up and Run: How to Get Up, Lace Up and Sweat with Swagger hits bookstores everywhere June 21.
Exploding with color, attitude and practical advice, Shut Up and Run is the ultimate embodiment of everything Robin. Equal parts fitness manual, self-help empowerment and coffee table photography book, it perfectly captures Robin’s ethos and aesthetic. Overflowing with tips, tricks, and most notably her welcome inviting hand, Shut Up and Run is an utterly unique breath of fresh air in a world of drab running manuals. A book screaming with attitude that beckons you to join her.
I love Robin. She’s just an awesome person. And I really love her new book. So I was delighted to sit down with her once again and delve deeper into her fascinating life. Subjects explored include:
- inclusivity & exclusivity within sports
- commercialization of running
- the evolution of social marketing
- the courage to take the leap
- trusting the journey
- sacrifice & personal development
- becoming the most authentic version of yourself
- being yourself despite societal pressures
- managing Type I Diabetes
- Robin’s daily routine
- Robin’s new book
If you are a long-time listener, then you remember well her previous powerhouse appearances on the show — How To Undo Ordinary (RRP 99) & Do Epic Sh*t (RRP 137). If you happened to miss these conversations, I highly suggest checking them out.
I think you’re going to like this one. Enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Check out our new online course: The Ultimate Guide To Conscious Relationships
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Rich Roll Podcast listeners receive $5 off your starter set & get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com/ROLL.
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code RICHROLL at checkout.
Background, Context & Reference:
- Pre-order Robin’s book: Shut Up and Run: How to Get Up, Lace Up, and Sweat with Swagger* (Available June 21, 2016)
- For screenings and more info about Robin’s documentary Run It Out visit RunItOut.co.uk
- Robin’s Tumblr: ShutUpAndRun
- UNDO Magazine: UNDOordinary.com
- Refrinery29: Why Every Female Runner Is A Feminist
- NYC Bridgerunners: NYCbridgerunners.tumblr.com
- HuffPo: The Marathon Runner Who Jumps Over All Hurdles
- Well+Good: My Studio Style: Robin Arzón
- Well+Good: Peloton’s New Studio Has Tonbs of Space – For Bikes, Film Production, and Lounging
- Spikes+Heels: Street Runner: Robin Arzón
- Health.com: 4 Simple Tips That Will Help You Reach Your Running Potential
- Peloton Indoor Cycling: pelotoncycle.com
- YouTube: Peloton Instructor Spotlight – Get To Know Robin Arzón
- NYTimes: For DJ Khaled, Snapchat Is a Major Key to Success by Jon Caramanica
- RunnersWorld: For Kara Goucher, a Comeback Ends in Heartbreaking Fourth by Sarah Lorge Butler
- Insulin pump therapy: myomnipod.com
- Learn more about Juvenile Diabetes by visiting jrdf.com
Notable People Discussed:
- Candace Parker: American professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA
- Gary Vaynerchuk: entrepreneur, investor, author, public speaker, and internet personality
- Kara Goucher: American long-distance runner
- E.E. Cummings: American poet, painter, essayist, author, and playwright
- John Foley: founder and CEO at Peloton Interactive
- George Hincapie: American retired road bicycle racer, who competed as a professional between 1994 and 2012
- Christian Vande Velde: retired American professional road racing cyclist of Belgian descent, who rode professionally between 1998 and 2013
- Ben Turshen: expert in performance enhancement and a qualified independent Master Teacher of Vedic Meditation
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #099: From Corporate Lawyer to Ambassador of Sweat & Swagger with Robin Arzón
- RRP #137: Robin Arzón on the Power of Sacred Moments and Embracing Failure
- RRP #195: Marco Borges’ 22-Day Revolution:A Plant-based Mission To Transform Mainstream Culture
- RRP #214: Mishka Shubaly On Writing: Faith, Guilt, Stubbornness, Abandonment, Revenge, Forgiveness & Why He Swears He’ll Make It Up To You
- RRP #216: Jason Wachob On How To Build A Life, Not A Resumé
- RRP #223: John Joseph Wants You To Wake The F*ck Up
- Invisabilia #008: How To Become Batman
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production and audio engineering; Chris Swan for production assistance; Shawn Patterson for his graphic wizardry; and Ana Leimma for theme music.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.