“What is it all about? It’s about being healthier, happier, better to the animals, kinder to each other and the planet – and it all stems from what we’re putting into our bodies.”
Last week, Beyoncé and Jay-Z made news across the world with a headline grabbing offer: take the plant-based pledge and you just might win concert tickets for life.
When the most culturally significant and influential entertainment couple on the planet throws down like this, it’s a big deal. The tectonic plates of social culture shift. Conventional attitudes and habits around food change. And our social paradigm is nudged forward.
So what’s the story behind all this?
The man behind this curtain isn’t a musician. No, Marco Borges is a trainer and exercise physiologist. He’s a family man and friend. He’s the person who first inspired Jay-Z and Beyoncé to adopt a plant-based lifestyle. He’s the entrepreneur that partnered up with the duo on 22-Days Nutrition. And he’s the environmentalist who enlisted the global icons in his latest venture, The Greenprint Project — a plant-based “blueprint” designed to shift your mindset, improve your health and impact the planet for the better.
In addition, Marco is the author of multiple New York Times bestsellers, including The 22-Day Revolution*, The 22-Day Revolution Cookbook*, and his latest offering, entitled (you guessed it), The Greenprint: Plant-Based Diet, Best Body, Better World*. An inclusive, practical primer on all things plant-based, it’s a beautiful must read for anyone looking to lose weight, increase energy, boost metabolism or reduce your carbon footprint.
Marco has been prominently featured in every major media outlet from Good Morning America to Vogue and today marks his third appearance on the podcast. If you’re new to the show, please check out episode #195 for Marco’s full backstory and episode #271, which features a panel discussion Marco and I conducted before a live audience at the Miami Seed Food and Wine Festival a few years ago.
Today’s conversation pivots around the why behind Marco’s new Greenprint book and app. We discuss transcending labels. Marco’s focus on inclusivity over tribalism. And how mastering a few simple lifestyle changes can positively transform your life and the planet.
Because I have grown quite close with Marco and his family, I can say with great conviction that he is the real deal. A man who walks his talk. A father, husband and entrepreneur who has devoted decades to empowering positive change in people from all walks of life. And so it is with delight and great enthusiasm that I share our latest conversation with you today. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed having it.
To take the plant-based pledge and earn that shot at Jay-Z and Beyoncé tickets for life, visit thegreenprintproject.com
To view our conversation on YouTube, visit bit.ly/marcoborges420
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Outerknown: For the people and the planet, Outerknown was founded by pro surfer Kelly Slater to provide high quality, environmentally sustainable clothes that fit great and are made to endure. Visit: Outerknown.com today and enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout to receive 25% OFF your full price order.
DesignCrowd: Custom graphic, logo and web design from over 550,000 designers around the world. Get the perfect custom design, every time! Visit designcrowd.com/RICHROLL or enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout and receive up to $100 off your design project now!
Zip Recruiter: Search for jobs hiring in your area using ZipRecruiter’s job search engine – the best way to find a job. To find jobs hiring near you and apply with just 1 click, visit: ziprecruiter.com/richroll
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Marco’s latest book: The Greenprint: Plant-Based Diet, Best Body, Better World*
Background, Context & Reference:
- Connect With Marco: Website
- 22 Days Nutrition: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- The Greenprint Project: Website
- Book: The 22-Day Revolution* by Macro Borges
- Book: The 22-Day Revolution Cookbook: The Ultimate Resource for Unleashing the Life-Changing Health Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet* by Macro Borges
- Book: Power Moves: The Four Motions to Transform Your Body for Life*
- New York Times: Jay Z and Beyoncé Want to Put You in a Vegan State of Mind
- Time: Beyoncé Launches Vegan Meal Delivery Service With Her Trainer
- Elle: The Beyoncé Diet Is Here
- Vogue: Would You Go Vegan If Beyoncé Told You To?
- People: JAY-Z and Beyoncé ‘Challenge You’ to Try a Plant-Based Diet: ‘We All Have a Responsibility’
- TODAY: Beyoncé’s nutrition coach Marco Borges shares 3 vegan recipes for hearty dinners (VIDEO)
- Essence: Meet Marco Borges, The Man Who Helped Beyoncé Get In Formation On A Vegan Diet
- DailyMail: Beyonce’s trainer shares the grueling workout behind her incredible tour body by Bianca London
- Newser: Beyoncé to Online Followers: Eat This | The singer endorses ‘The Greenprint’ by Marco Borges
- USA Today: I Ate Like Beyoncé And Lost 16 Pounds
- PCRM: Marco Borges Dishes Top Foods To Spring Clean Your Diet
- Yahoo: Beyoncé’s Trainer On The Power of Plant-Based Eating
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Kim Williams MD: Vegan cardiologist, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, served as its president from 2015 to 2016 and podcast guest
- Valter Longo, PhD: Professor in Gerontology & Biological Science, Director of the USC Longevity Institute and podcast guest
- Dr.Dean Ornish: physician, founder of Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California plant-based diet advocate and podcast guest
- Joel Kahn M.D.: plant-based cardiologist, author, public speaker & 3x podcast guest
- Beyoncé: singer, songwriter, actress, record producer and dancer
- Jay-Z: record producer, songwriter, entrepreneur and one of the most acclaimed rappers of all time
- Lewis Hamilton: 5x Formula One World Champion, often considered the best driver of his generation and widely regarded as one of the greatest drivers in the history of the sport
- Tom Brady: 6-time Super Bowl champion quarterback for the New England Patriots
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #271: Rich Roll & Marco Borges On Living In Alignment With Core Values
- RRP #195: Marco Borges’ 22-Day Revolution: A Plant-Based Mission To Transform Mainstream Culture
- RRP #325: Cardiologist Kim Williams, M.D. Wants To Eradicate Heart Disease
- RRP #410: Dr. Dean & Anne Ornish: The Power Of Lifestyle Medicine To Undo Disease & Live Better
- RRP #367: Fasting For Longevity With Valter Longo, Ph.D.
- RRP #244: Alexis Fox & Micah Risk Are Igniting A Social Movement To Help The World Eat Better
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Download Our Free App: Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.