“Let’s combine hacking with our history — and where we come from — to make sure we stay in tune with evolution.”
Valter Longo PhD
When it comes to longevity, the goal isn’t just to live as long as possible.
The true objective is to live as vibrantly and energetically as possible for as long as possible.
So how exactly do we do this?
Valter Longo, Ph.D. has devoted his life to answering this question. Along the way, his groundbreaking discoveries hold the potential to change your life in truly dramatic fashion.
One of the world’s leading scientific authorities on the subject of longevity, Dr. Longo is an expert in gerontology and biological science as well as the Director of the USC Longevity Institute and the Program on Longevity and Cancer at IFOM in Milan, both of which focus on developing a better scientific understanding of the fundamental mechanisms of aging, disease and, of course, longevity.
In addition, Dr. Longo is the author of an extraordinary new book entitled, The Longevity Diet. The culmination of 25 years of research on aging, nutrition and disease across the globe, it provides an easy-to-understand, accessible and implementable road map to living to living well longer through improved nutrition.
What differentiates Dr. Longo from many of his peers is that his focus is not purely academic, but practical. From his exhaustive research on aging in both mice and humans, he has created specific diet and lifestyle protocols scientifically proven to active stem cells; promote organ regeneration and rejuvenation; reduce the risk for diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s and heart disease; and ultimately extend that which we all seek: lifespan.
As discussed at length over the course of our almost 2-hour exchange, Dr. Longo’s specific longevity prescription entails a daily diet regimen based on a studied group of centenarians (think Blue Zones). He then combines this with a periodic 5-day fasting protocol called the Fasting Mimicking Diet (undertaken 3-4 times per year), designed to reap the benefits of a true calorie free fast while still nourishing the body daily.
This is a powerful conversation the explores all of the foregoing. It’s about what promotes longevity and what undermines it. Separating truth from misconception, it’s exploration of the benefits of fasting and the science that supports it. And it’s a primer on the optimal lifestyle protocols you can employ in your every day life to live well and long.
Break out pen and paper because you’re going to want to take notes on this one.
It’s an honor and a privilege to share Dr. Longo’s experience with you — one of my most important podcasts to date.
I sincerely hope you not only enjoy the exchange, but employ his wisdom for your long-term well-being.
Because we all deserve to live our best life.
For the visually inclined, you can watch our conversation on YouTube at: http://bit.ly/richandvalter
If you are enjoying the video versions of the show, do me a favor and subscribe!
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set,which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is shipping.
Peloton – Discover this cutting-edge indoor cycling bike that brings the studio experience to your home. Get a great workout at home, anytime you want. Go to onepeloton.com, use the code RICHROLL and get $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase.
DesignCrowd: Custom graphic, logo and web design from over 550,000 designers around the world! Get the perfect custom design, every time! Visit designcrowd.com/RICHROLL or enter promo code RICHROLL at checkout and receive up to $100 off your design project now!
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Pick up Dr. Longo’s book The Longevity Diet*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Dr. Longo: Website | Facebook
- Prolon: Website | Twitter
- Prolon: The Masting Mimicking Diet
- USC: Longevity Institute
- IFOM: Program on Longevity and Cancer
- Health Center: TrueNorth
- Science: Five-day fasting diet could fight disease, slow aging
- The Times UK: How to eat for a longer life: Professor Valter Longo’s rules
- TIME: What Is Inflammation, And Why Should I Care About It?
- US News & World Report: Can Fasting Improve Chemotherapy’s Effects?
- Bloomberg: Silicon Valley Wants to Cash In on Fasting
- Business Insider: A strange diet is designed to slow aging by mimicking fasting — but you can eat normally most of the time
- NBC News: Little People of Ecuador: Laron Syndrome May Unlock Cancer, Diabetes Cure by Tracy Connor
- Stat: He wants to sell you a $300 ‘fasting diet’ to prolong your life. It might not be as crazy as it sounds
- HauteLiving: 5 Tips To Prolong Your Life From Longevity Diet Guru Valter Longo
- Blue Zones: Fasting for Longevity: 9 Questions for Dr. Valter D. Longo
- USC: $10 million grant supports research on disease prevention, fasting and aging
Notable People Discussed
- Joel Kahn M.D.: plant-based cardiologist, author, public speaker & 2x podcast guest
- Roy Lee Walford, M.D.: UCLA professor & pioneer in the field of aging & caloric restriction
- Peter Thiel: entrepreneur, venture capitalist & hedge fund manager
- Emma Morano: Italian supercentenarian who, before her death at the age 117, was the world’s oldest verified living person
- Salvatore Caruso: Italian supercentenarian and the 13th Italian man to reach the age of 110
- John Kopchick PhD: molecular biologist and co-inventor of the drug Somavert
- Dan Buettner: National Geographic Fellow, Blue Zones founder, NY Times bestselling author of The Blue Zones Solution* and (2x) podcast guest
- Jaime Guevara-Aguirre: founded the Institute of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Reproduction (IEMYR) in Quito, Ecuador
- Caldwell Esselstyn:American physician, author and former Olympic rowing champion
- Dr.Dean Ornish: physician and founder of Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California
- Dr. John McDougall: Physician & author who has written extensively on the benefits of a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based vegan diet
- T. Colin Campbell: biochemist who specializes in the effect of nutrition on long-term health, author of The China Study*and podcast guest
- Ray Cronise: former NASA scientist turned innovator focused on disrupting diet and nutrition advice; podcast guest
- Zach Bush M.D.: triple board-certified physician with expertise in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism, and Hospice/Palliative care and podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #139: How To Live To Be 100+ With Dan Buettner
- RRP #323: Dan Buettner: Lessons From The World’s Happiest People
- RRP #349: Diet Wars With Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD
- RRP #353: Zach Bush, MD On GMO’s, Glyphosate & Healing The Gut
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD On How Not To Die
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein
- RRP #330: Alzheimer’s Can Be Prevented & Reversed: Drs. Dean & Ayesha Sherzai On Optimizing Brain Health
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way: Italia is now available — pick up your copy today!
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.