“There’s a big difference between interested and committed.”
What if I told you that one secret to success just might be adopting a secret identity?
I know. It sounds weird. I too was skeptical. But today’s guest sold me with one unique thought:
What if your alter ego is a more accurate representation of who you really are?
Pondering this left me wanting to learn more. So I invited high performance coach Todd Herman on the show to elaborate.
An author, advisor, and entrepreneur, Todd has spent the last 2 decades helping professional and Olympic athletes, entrepreneurs, leaders, and executives unlock peak performance at the highest level to achieve wildly outrageous goals while enjoying the process.
Featured on the Today Show, Sky Business News, Inc. Magazine and CBC National News, Todd is also the author of the recently released book, The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life*. Equal parts instructive and entertaining, it’s a provocative exploration of the heroic self within as a means to overcome that which holds you back with one goal in mind — to empower greater expression of your inner best self.
This conversation tracks the viability of Todd’s alter ego thesis through the lens of successful case studies who have used this strategy to their advantage. It explores the fraught terrain of actualizing peak performance and the proven strategies to maximize human potential. And it’s about how to best confront and overcome the hurdles that unnecessarily prevent the best of us – often repeatedly or in some cases continually – from inhabiting our most expressed selves.
In addition, we explore the why behind Todd’s work. More specifically, Todd relates how confronting a severe childhood trauma helped him overcome profound feelings of guilt and shame that held him back for years. Impactful for anyone who suffers in silence, it’s a powerful story of healing and empowerment (but perhaps inappropriate for the little ones among us — so fair warning).
Very much in the vein of my recent podcast with James Clear (RRP #401), I found this conversation both fascinating and entertaining. My hope is that you will too.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Todd’s book: The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life*
Background, Context & Reference:
- Connect with Todd: Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram
- Athletic Performance Training: The Peak Athlete
- Book website: The Alter Ego Effect
- YouTube: Secret to Success – The Alter Ego Effect | Todd Herman
- YouTube: How to Overcome Insecurity – The Alter Ego Effect | Todd Herman
- YouTube: How To Get Past Resistance – The 3 Hidden Forces | Todd Herman
- Good Life Project: Tapping Alter-Egos To Unlock Hidden-Potential: Todd Herman
- Good Life Project: Todd Herman: What Really Drives Elite Performance?
- The Tony Robbins Podcast: Amplify Your Strengths | Todd Herman
- Showtime Series: Billions
- Documentary: Won’t You Be My Neighbor?* Director: Morgan Neville
- Documentary: Momentum Generation Directors: Jeff and Michael Zimbalist
Notable People Discussed:
- James Lawrence (a.k.a.”The Iron Cowboy”): completed 50 Ironmans in 50 States in 50 Days in 2015 and (2x) podcast guest
- David Goggins: Navy SEAL, Endurance Athlete and podcast guest
- Jonathan Fields: award-winning author, media-producer, entrepreneur and (2x) podcast guest
- Tucker Max: three time #1 New York Times Best Selling author, public speaker and podcast guest
Martin Luther King Jr.: was an American Baptist minister and activist and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his assassination in 1968
Bo Jackson: is considered one of the greatest athletes of all time, the only athlete in history to be named an All-Star in both baseball and football and one of few to do so in two major sports
Walter Payton: aka “The Sweetness” was an American NFL running back for the Chicago Bears for 13 seasons
Ronnie Lott: former NFL cornerback, free safety, and strong safety for fourteen seasons during the 1980s and 90s
Emily Fletcher: meditation expert and author of Stress Less, Accomplish More: Meditation for Extraordinary Performance*
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #166: The Iron Cowboy Did It! How James Lawrence Completed 50 Ironmans In 50 States In 50 Days
- RRP #401: James Clear On Why Habits Are The Compound Interest of Self-Improvement
- RRP #413: You Can’t Hurt David Goggins: Going Beyond Motivation & Why Mindset Is Everything
- RRP #266: Navy SEAL David Goggins Is The Toughest Athlete On Earth
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Download Our Free App: Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.