“When you put on really effective armor, you do keep things out but you also keep a lot in.”
If you think you know Tim Ferriss, think again – this is Tim like you’ve never seen or heard him before.
A relentless experimenter and virtuoso of deconstruction, Tim has spent the better part of his adult life studying mastery and sharing what he has learned on his wildly popular blog and string of four consecutive #1 New York Times and #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling books, which include The 4-Hour Workweek*, The 4-Hour Body*, The 4-Hour Chef*, Tools of Titans*, and his brand new offering, Tribe of Mentors*.
Along the way, Tim became a prominent angel investor and philanthropist, named one of Fast Company‘s “Most Innovative Business People” and one of Fortune‘s “40 under 40”. He’s graced the main stage at TED and been featured in every prominent media outlet imaginable. His work hosting The Tim Ferriss Show podcast – one of the most widely listened to podcasts in the world with over 200 million downloads — led The Observer to call him “the Oprah of audio”.
I’m willing to bet most of you are already decidedly familiar with this globally renowned polymath. Like you, I’ve followed his blog for years. I’ve read all his books and I listen to his podcast regularly. It’s an understatement to say that Tim’s work has been instrumental in helping me forge the life I’m blessed to lead today. For that I am forever grateful.
Nonetheless, I never felt like I really knew the man behind the work.
Who is the real Tim Ferriss?
It turns out, Tim has been asking himself the very same question. Over the last year, he has endured much. The loss of some good friends matched by turning 40 has left him pondering his mortality. He walked away from tech investing, decamping Silicon Valley for Austin out of a desire to slow the pace of his frenetic life. And a very intense recent 10-day silent meditation retreat is emblematic of a redirected focus inward.
Today finds Tim in a rather reflective and contemplative place. A point in time in which he is wrestling with his past, evaluating the person he wants to be, and deeply contemplating what is most important about life.
Today we unpack the real Tim Ferriss.
Intimate and emotionally raw, this is exactly the kind of conversation I have been patiently waiting to have with Tim ever since I started this podcast – a sincere, deeply personal exchange with the human being behind the success and fame.
I’m honored to be a trusted steward for this conversation – an experience that will leave you with an entirely new perspective on one of culture’s most influential figures.
For those visually inclined, the video version of the podcast is also available on YouTube
I sincerely hope you enjoy our talk as much as I enjoyed having it.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Quip: Your one stop solution for oral health! Buy a quip toothbrush from $25 and get up to $5 off your first refill pack by visiting getquip.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL” during checkout..
Thrive Market: Your online market for super healthy food at 25-50% off retail shipped right to your home. Visit: thrivemarket.com/richroll and get an EXTRA 25% off on your first box of organic and non-GMO products — PLUS: free shipping!! Never pay full price for healthy food again.
Check out Tim’s latest book: Tribe Of Mentors: Short Life Advice From The Best In The World*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Tim: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | YouTube
- Website: Tribe Of Mentors
- Tim’s Podcasts: The Tim Ferriss Show | Tim Ferriss’ Tribe Of Mentors
- TED: Why you should define your fears instead of your goals | Tim Ferriss
- TED: Smash fear, learn anything | Tim Ferriss
- CNCBC: Tim Ferriss reveals the 5-step nighttime routine that makes him successful by Courtney Connley
- CNCBC: Why Tim Ferriss says hearing the word ‘no’ sets you up for success by Zameena Mejia
- Inc.: How Tim Ferriss Beat Depression and Became an Inspirational Icon by Richard Feloni
- Business Insider: After interviewing hundreds of impressive people, Tim Ferriss realized the happiest among them had the same thing in common by Richard Feloni
- Business Insider: After 10 years of helping people optimize their lives, Tim Ferriss stumbled upon a question that has helped him build an audience of millions by Richard Feloni
- Business Insider: Tim Ferriss reveals what he’s learned after a difficult year of introspection, and how he built a passionate fanbase of millions by Daniel Richards & Richard Feloni
- Daily Stoic: Tim Ferriss on Cultivating Resilience, Favorite Stoic Practices and How To Shun Comfort
- Outside: What Tim Ferriss Learned from 100-Plus Elite Performers
- Entrepreneur: How To Attract The Best Mentors, According to Tim Ferriss
- Fortune: (VIDEO) Here’s How Tim Ferriss Prepares for a TED Talk with Leigh Gallagher
- Book: Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha* by Tara Brach
Notable Books By Tim Ferriss:
- Tribe Of Mentors: Short Life Advice From The Best In The World*
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers*
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman*
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich*
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life*
Notable People Discussed
- Jonathan Fields: award-winning author, media-producer, entrepreneur and (2x) podcast guest
- Colin Hudon: physician of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, founder of Living Tea and multiple episode podcast guest
- Dr. Tara Brach: psychologist, proponent of Buddhist meditation, guiding teacher and founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, D.C., author of Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha*
- Dr. Gabor Maté: physician, specializes in neurology, psychiatry, psychology, treatment of addiction and podcast guest
- Tim Urban: illustrator and co-founder of Wait But Why
- Sharon Salzberg: teacher of Buddhist meditation practices in the West, co-founder of the Insight Meditation Society, New York Times Best selling author and podcast guest
- Jack Kornfield: Author, Buddhist practitioner and one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West
- Jeff Bezos: entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist, founder, chairman, and CEO of Amazon.com
- Ray Dalio: investor, hedge fund manager, and philanthropist. Dalio is the founder of investment firm Bridgewater Associates, one of the world’s largest hedge funds
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #298: Meditation Master Sharon Salzberg On Real Love & The Art Of Mindful Connection
- RRP #168: Turning Adversity To Advantage: Ryan Holiday On Why The Obstacle Is The Way
- RRP #239: Ryan Holiday On The Perils Of Ego & Inherent Value Of Humility
- RRP #188: Addiction Is Not A Choice: Dr. Gabor Maté’s Call For A Compassionate & Holistic Approach To Healing
- RRP #250: Jonathan Fields’ Buckets For Living A Good Life
Thanks to Moby for this week’s interstitial track: “Lenox“; Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production and show notes; Shawn Patterson for graphics; and Bobby Sud for videography. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.