Welcome to another edition of ‘Roll On’, wherein we riff on matters of interest across sports, culture, entertainment, and self-betterment. Today’s highlights include a Zoom call with Ironman World Champion Kristian Blummenfelt and his coach Olav Aleksander Bu; a listener question on putting wisdom into practice; and a coaching call check-in with Chris Hauth.
As always, my co-host is Mr. Adam Skolnick, an activist, veteran journalist, and David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is also the author of One Breath and still uses the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
“Be gracious to yourself. Let go of the need to do everything all at once. Focus on improving one thing at a time.”
– RICH ROLL
Specific topics discussed in today’s episode include:
- Adam’s latest NYT piece A Free Diver’s Training Partners: Sharks
- Outstanding performances from the Ironman World Championships
- A brief conversation with IMWC Kristian Blummenfelt & his coach Olav Aleksander Bu
- Should a 6 year old be permitted to run a marathon?
- Endurance wins: Jackie Hunt-Broersma & William Goodge
- the implications of overturning Roe v. Wade
- why Joe Biden’s ‘Ministry of Truth’ is problematic
- thoughts on how to create sustainable growth; and
- check-in with coach Chris Hauth
Thank you to Tristan from Utah for today’s listener question. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Group Page or, better yet, leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Note: We will be recording a sleep-specific AMA episode with Dr. Matthew Walker (RRP 600) in the near future. Please submit your sleep questions for consideration by sending an e-mail to [email protected] or leaving a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change II'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker is now waterproof. Designed to be worn 24/7, the advanced WHOOP 4.0 is lightweight and minimal so nothing gets in the way of a snatch, swing, or stride. Get the WHOOP 4.O at WHOOP.com and use the code Richroll at checkout to get 15% off a membership.
Athletic Greens: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, AG1 is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. Invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll to get a FREE year supply of Vitamin D AND 5 free travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.
LMNT: A science-backed electrolyte drink mix with everything you need and nothing you don’t. The formula is super high-caliber, it’s plant-based with no sugar, fillers, gluten or sketchy ingredients. For a limited time receive a FREE LMNT sample pack just cover 5$ for shipping. Try it out at drinkLMNT.com/RICHROLL
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01TM Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Rich Roll Podcast: Twitter | Instagram
- Voicing Change II: http://richroll.com/books
- The New York Times: A Free Diver’s Training Partners: Sharks
- Outside: Could Tourism Be the Answer to the World’s Shark-Finning Problem?
- Outside: Olympic Gold Medalist Kristian Blummenfelt Wins His First Ironman World Title
- VeloNews: Ineos Grenadiers’ Cameron Wurf will race rescheduled 2021 Ironman worlds in Utah
- The Washington Post: Marathon official says allowing 6-year-old was ‘not the best’ choice
- Runner’s World: Controversy Erupts After 6-Year-Old Finishes Flying Pig Marathon
- New York Post: Kentucky family at center of controversy after 6-year-old runs in marathon
- GoFundMe: Jacky Hunt-Broersma| 102 Marathons in 102 days
- ESPN: How amputee Jacky Hunt-Broersma ran 104 marathons in 104 days: ‘Just focus on the next step’
- IRunFar: Help Jacky Hunt-Broersma and RXBAR Raise Money for Amputee Blade Runners Nonprofit
- Film: 48/30
- Instagram: @williamgoodge
- Whoop: The Strain of Running 48 Marathons in 30 Days
- The New York Times: If Roe Falls, Is Same-Sex Marriage Next?
- The New York Times: Once Close Allies, Roberts and Alito Have Taken Divergent Paths
- Seven Days: SCOTUS Doesn’t Know How Abortion Rights Affect Women, Alito Wrote. A Midd Prof Says Otherwise.
- The New York Times: Texas Governor Ready to Challenge Schooling of Migrant Children
- Wall Street Journal: Biden Establishes a Ministry of Truth
- The Washington Post: Devouring The Rainforest
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; the copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.