How do you meld passion with purpose? What makes you committed to your cause? And most importantly, what does your podcast do?
In addition to philosophizing about these questions and more, in today’s edition of ‘Roll On,’ Adam Skolnick and I trade fitness updates, engage in typical ribald banter, indulge you with a cameo from environmental activist, UN Patron of the Oceans, and arctic swimmer, Lewis Pugh.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Aside from being my fortnightly sidekick hype beast and favorite edgelord of words literary, Adam is a waterman, writer, and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. He writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently recycling the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Specific topics covered in this episode include:
- RRP Staff wins + a debrief on Rich’s experience in the Malibu Triathlon;
- Lewis Pugh’s unique relationship with environmentalism & swimming;
- Rich’s reflection on his upcoming 9 year anniversary of podcasting; and
- thoughts on curiosity, purpose, and why conversation matters.
“Advocacy without action is feckless.”
– RICH ROLL
In addition, we answer the following questions:
- What advice do you have for those new to multi-sport endurance events?
- How do you balance your commitment to social justice with your career?
- How do you remain hopeful while living through the chaos of the climate crisis?
Thank you to Hadar from San Francisco, Tyler from Florida, and Jason from Pasadena for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Four Sigmatic: Nutritious and delicious organic, Fair-Trade, single-origin Arabica mushroom coffee made with only the highest quality adaptogens like Lion’s Mane and Chaga. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and get up to 40% off + Free Shipping on Mushroom Coffee bundles.
Ritual: Ritual is the multivitamin, reimagined. I take it every morning, and I love that its clean, vegan-friendly formula is made with key nutrients in forms your body can actually use—no GMOs, synthetic fillers, or other shady extras. You deserve to know what’s in your multivitamin. That’s why Ritual is offering my listeners 10% off during their first 3 months. Visit ritual.com/RICHROLL to start your Ritual today.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker is now waterproof. Designed to be worn 24/7, the advanced WHOOP 4.0 is lightweight and minimal so nothing gets in the way of a snatch, swing, or stride. Get the WHOOP 4.O at WHOOP.com and use the code Richroll at checkout to get 15% off a membership.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- TikTok: @iamrichroll
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- 60 Minutes: Alexey Molchanov on diving more than 39 stories deep while holding his breath for four and a half minutes
- The Independent: Lewis Pugh completes multi-day icy Greenland swim to highlight climate crisis
- Sustainable Standard: Meet Lewis Pugh – the UN Patron of the Oceans who swam through Arctic ice to warn us about climate crisis
- BBC Sport: The endurance swimmer dodging icebergs in Greenland
- The Times: The last stand of Lewis Pugh, the human polar bear
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.