“I’m a high school dropout. I’m a convicted felon. I can’t spell. I can’t type. I was homeless. I shot dope into my veins and I am not ashamed of any of that stuff because that’s what I had to do to survive… Whatever it is that you are suffering from, you can change. And you can change in such a profound way that within a short period of time you wont even recognize yourself anymore.”
Today my good friend Khalil Rafati returns to the podcast.
Most would call Khalil a successful wellness entrepreneur. SunLife Organics, his growing chain of organic juice bar cafés, can be seen popping up all over Southern California with more on the horizon.
But it wasn’t that long ago that the only thing Khalil was successful at was getting high in the dark underbelly of the City of Angels.
Addicted to shooting heroin and smoking crack, Khalil was soon overtaken by paranoia and psychosis and written off by friends and family. When he finally hit bottom, Khalil was 33 years old and 109 pounds, a convicted felon, high school dropout, and homeless junkie living in a cardboard box on the infamous Skid Row in downtown L.A.
At the time, Khalil was hell bent on dying. But God, the Universe or whatever you want to call it had different plans. He didn’t just live — he repaired his life wholesale. A miracle of sobriety. Miracle.
So how does someone with nothing, who feels like they deserve nothing, and who just wants to end it all turn their life around?
Khalil’s story is nothing short of astounding, trumped only by his ability to tell it. So if you missed his first appearance on the show, listen up here.
Today he drops by the podcast studio to pick up where we left off — a tale recently canonized in his recently released memoir I Forgot To Die* — an incredible true story of pain, suffering, addiction and redemption and how one man ultimately conquered his demons and wrote himself a new life story.
So let’s hear all about it. I sincerely hope you enjoy this conversation with one of my favorite people.
Peace + Plants,
Connect With Khalil: Facebook
Now available— I Forgot to Die* is an incredible true story of pain, suffering, addiction and redemption.
Background, Context & Reference:
- Book: I Forgot to Die* by Khalil Rafati
- Book: Finding Ultra* by Rich Roll
- Book: A Million Little Pieces* by James Frey
- Book: In The Realm Of Hungry Ghosts* by Dr. Gabor Maté
- Book: The Truth* by Neil Strauss
- NYTimes: Ayahuasca: A Strong Cup of Tea
- MindBodyGreen: 4 Reasons This Meditation Teacher Won’t Do Ayahuasca
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Jay Luchs: National retail expert and real estate broker
- Robert Cohen: real estate broker
- James Ashton: real estate broker
- Morrissey: English singer, lyricist, & novelist
- Ian Curtis: English musician and singer-songwriter
- Anthony Kiedis: American musician and lead vocalist of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Rick Rubin: American record producer and former Pres. of Columbia Records
- Duane Betts: American guitarist
- Dickey Betts: American guitarist, singer, songwriter, & composer best known as a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band
- Marc Ford: American blues-rock guitarist
- Berry Oakley, Jr: American guitarist
- Rick Caruso: American billionaire businessman
- David Duchovny: American actor, writer, producer, & director
- Gerard Butler: Scottish actor
- Neil Strauss: American author and New York Times journalist
- Walter Kirn: American novelist, literary critic, & essayist
- Conor McGregor: Irish mixed martial artist
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #061:Khalil Rafati on Addiction, Recovery & Achieving Happiness Through Service
- RRP #154:Tucker Max on How To Own Your Emotional Truth, Redefine Your Story & Find Happiness
- RRP #175:How Adam Sud Lost 100 Pounds, Kicked Adderall, Reversed His Diabetes & Found A Life
- RRP #188:Gabor Maté, Addiction Is Not A Choice
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.