“If we don’t allow ourselves to be imperfect we will never get good.”
Welcome to another edition Guru Corner — a spiritual version of my popular Coach’s Corner series featuring my favorite teacher on all things mystic and metaphysical, Guru Singh.
Fusing Eastern mysticism with Western pragmatism, Guru Singh is a celebrated third-generation Sikh yogi and master spiritual teacher who has been studying and teaching Kundalini Yoga for more than 40 years. He is the author of several books, a powerful lecturer and behind-the-scenes guide to many a luminary, including Fortune 500 CEOs, athletes, and artists.
A peer of rock legends like Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead, Guru Singh is also a supremely talented musician who began his recording career on Warner Bros’ Reprise label in the 1960s. When he isn’t recording tracks with people like Seal, he’s bringing down the house on the daily at Yoga West, his Los Angeles home base.
Over the last couple years, I have grown quite close with Guru Singh, a beautiful and highly relatable consciousness I’m proud to call friend, family and mentor. It’s a privilege to share more of his powerful wisdom with you today.
A companion piece to my recent podcast with author and parenting expert KJ Dell’Antonia (RRP #396), today’s conversation is an intimate exploration into the art of parenting through the lens of child rearing as spiritual practice.
We discuss the challenges of raising a generation required to face problems created preceding generations.
We pit the perils of social media against the importance of digital fluency.
We explore the importance of cultivating a healthy sense of self amidst the chaos of family life; how to reframe failure as opportunity; and the importance of balancing discipline while encouraging daydreaming.
Communication is paramount, so we dissect strategies for keeping it open and honest.
None of us parent perfectly. But the way forward is to better master ourselves, our actions and reactions. My hope is that this exchange will empower you with some tools to do just that.
Like my conversation with KJ, there is plenty of wisdom here for everyone, irrespective of your child rearing status. So even if you don’t have children and never plan to, I encourage you to listen or watch with an open mind.
Let the master class resume.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Bombas: Athletic-leisure socks, re-engineered to look better, feel better, and perform better. Sound good? Then just go straight to bombas.com/richroll for 20% off any size order for first-time customers.
Quip: Your one stop solution for oral health! Buy a quip toothbrush from $25 and get up to $5 off your first refill pack by visiting getquip.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL” during checkout.
Four Sigmatic: A superfood company popularizing medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in delicious mainstream products like coffee and hot cocoa. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and enter the promo code ROLL at the checkout and save 15% on your order!
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Guru Singh: Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Guru Singh Podcast on iTunes
- Guru Singh on YouTube
- Guru Singh’s Los Angeles-based Yoga center Yoga West
- Guru Singh: Online Classes
- Awaken: Articles by Guru Singh
- Awaken: Awaken Interviews Kundalini Yoga Master Guru Singh – Awakening Is a Spectral Process
- PositivelyPositive: Guru Singh On How To Stay Young [VIDEO]
- Documentary: Rolling Stone: Stories From The Edge | HBO Docs
- Book: mBraining: Using your multiple brains to do cool stuff* by Grant Soosalu
Books By Guru Singh
- Infinite Zero: Everything Comes from Nothing* by Guru Singh
- Buried Treasures: The Journey From Where You Are to Who You Are* by Guru Singh
- 108 Ways to Great Days: A Journey Through Journaling* by Guru Singh
- Angels Gather Here: Nine Angelic Aspects of Human Life on Planet Earth* by Guru Singh & Kevin Hutchings
- A Year of Prayer: 365 Inspirational Days (Volume 1)* by Guru Singh & Gurperkarma Khalsa
- Spiritual Pavement: Simple wisdom for the enlightened road (Volume 1)* by Guru Singh
- Spiritual Pavement: Volume Two: Simple wisdom for the enlightened road (Volume 2) by Guru Singh
Notable People Discussed
- Rob Bell: author, speaker, former pastor and 2x podcast guest
- Bill Maher: comedian, political commentator and television host
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #396: KJ Dell’Antonia Wants You To Be A Better Parent
- RRP #393: Guru Corner: Disrupting Depression With Guru Singh
- RRP #368: Guru Singh On Compassion, Discernment & The Primacy Of Self-Mastery
- RRP #332: Guru Singh on Building Emotional Infrastructure
- RRP #267: Guru Singh On The Power Of Cultivating Awareness
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering, interstitial music and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics. Portraits by Reece Robinson. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.