Welcome to another edition of ‘Roll On’, the version of the podcast where we offer our perspective on matters of interest across culture, sports, art, politics, and self-betterment.
Given the heartbreaking number of mass and school shootings this year—punctuated by the horrific events in Uvalde—today’s main focus centers on gun violence in America. It’s a conversation that culminates with thoughts from Senator Cory Booker, who joins via Zoom to help us understand why this problem is so intractable, and what we can do about it.
As always, my co-host is Mr. Adam Skolnick, an activist, veteran journalist, and David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is also the author of One Breath and still uses the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
“Everything in the United States that is dangerous or poses a threat to others is heavily regulated—except when it comes to guns.”
– RICH ROLL
Specific topics discussed in today’s episode include:
- Kristian Blummenfelt’s stunning Sub7 Project performance;
- the downfall of legendary UC Berkeley swimming coach Teri McKeever;
- the release of Robbie Balenger’s movie The Colorado Crush: 63 Days of Endurance;
- American gun culture, alarming statistics behind mass shootings, and the political barriers that make it difficult to enact stricter gun laws; and
- Senator Cory Booker’s take on what’s needed to change firearm legislation.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change II'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Rich Roll Podcast: Twitter | Instagram
- Voicing Change II: http://richroll.com/books
- Book: Finding Ultra
- Rich Roll: Newsletter
- CNN: Life Itself
- Red Bull: Kristian Blummenfelt makes history by smashing sub-seven-hour Iron Distance triathlon
- SUB7: Alistair Brownlee Ruled Out of Sub7 Attempt
- Orange County Register: UC Berkeley swimmers allege coach Teri McKeever bullied and verbally abused them for years
- Orange County Register: UC Berkeley places swim coach Teri McKeever on administrative leave
- Official Trailer: The Colorado Crush
- Bo Burnham: Inside Outtakes
- KRGV: String of mass shootings continue across the US: Uvalde, Houston, Nebraska and Virginia
- Gun Violence Archive: Charts And Maps
- Gun Violence Archive: Mass Shootings in 2022
- Our World In Data: Mental Health
- Newsweek: Ted Cruz Shares Video of Him Playing Poker While Uvalde Funerals Begin
- The Daily Show: Debunking Conservatives’ Excuses for Gun Violence
- New York Times: The Simplest Response to School Shootings
- The Atlantic: How to Persuade Americans to Give Up Their Guns
- The Atlantic: A Guide to The Atlantic’s Coverage of Guns in America
- The Atlantic: We Need To Learn To Live With Guns
- The Atlantic: America’s Hands Are Full Of Blood
- The Atlantic: Think Gun Laws Are Hard To Change? Try Gun Culture
- Pew Research Center: Key facts about Americans and guns
- Vox: Polling Is Clear: Americans Want Gun Control
- Vox: How gun ownership became a powerful political identity
- New York Times: Racist and Violent Ideas Jump From Web’s Fringes to Mainstream Sites
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; the copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.