How do world-class athletes, artists and top business leaders organize their inner lives to expand the edges of their potential?
What are the frameworks and key mental skills needed to excel in those intense, all or nothing make-it-or break it moments?
How do change-makers find peace, grounding, and even joy in the most intensely stressful, critical moments of their lives and careers?
There is no human more well-suited to fielding these questions than world-renown high performance psychologist Dr. Michael Gervais — returning for his 4th appearance on the podcast.
A globally recognized authority on optimal human performance, Dr. Gervais has spent the last twenty years working in the trenches of consequential, high-stakes environments, where there is no luxury for mistakes, hesitation, or failure to respond. His clientele includes the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks, countless Olympic medalists, MVPs from every major sport, world record holders, internationally acclaimed music artists, and corporate leaders.
In addition, Dr. Gervais is the host of the popular Finding Masterypodcast. Alongside NFL coach Pete Carroll he founded Compete To Create, an online and live master class for the mind, and together they authored the recently released Audible Original also entitled Compete To Create — a must-listen for anyone interested in raising the bar on their own potential.
”My purpose is to help people live in the present moment more often. That’s it. That’s my purpose in life.DR. MICHAEL GERVAIS
There’s a reason he’s been featured by NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN, ESPN, NFL Network, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Outside Magazine, WIRED, ESPN Magazine, the Harvard Business Review and more:
Dr. Gervais is the sensei of human performance optimization.
Unlike our previous episodes, today’s exchange is not about elite athletic performance. Nor is it about the demands of jumping out of a plane without a parachute. In fact, it’s not really about sport at all.
Instead, this is a conversation about how best to navigate the cataclysmic shit show we call 2020 — and the years of political, pandemic and planetary turmoil likely to follow.
There are no lifehacks to fundamental growth.
– DR Michael Gervais
It’s about understanding trauma. Accepting pain. Working through it. And how suffering is integral to the human experience.
It’s about the difference between purpose and vision. The role of sport in a world that’s closed for business. And the importance of optimism in dark times.
If you’re new to the show, you’re in for a treat. I adore this man. So prepare to fall in love.
If you enjoy today’s conversation, you might also dig Michael interviewing me in the most recent Finding Mastery episode (FM #244). And you can mine his three previous appearances on the RRP (episodes 120, 252, and 366).
It’s hard being a human in 2020. Don’t underestimate the circumstances — but know there is a light out there.
Let’s find it together.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
Calm: The #1 app for meditation and sleep with 100+ guided meditations covering anxiety, focus, stress, sleep, relationships and more. Plus 7-day and 21-day programs for both beginner and advanced users. Right now, my listeners can get a special limited-time promotion of 40% off a Calm Premium subscription at calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today!
On Running: Born in the Swiss Alps, On Running is the world’s fastest-growing running brand. From their patented cushioning system to their gorgeous minimal design aesthetic, shoes & gear that performs and looks great too. Go to on-running.com/richroll to unlock the voucher, and pick your favorite shoe or apparel piece and run in it for a 30-day risk-free trial, no questions asked.
Outerknown: Founded by pro-surfer Kelly Slater, Outerknown creates high quality, sustainably produced, and great looking men’s and women’s clothes, ethically manufactured in the world’s cleanest solar-powered factory. When you’re ready to amp up your wardrobe with awesome sustainable duds, go to outerknown.com and enter my code RICHROLL at checkout to get 25% off your full-price order. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
- Connect With Dr. Gervais: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Podcast: Finding Mastery
- Online Course: Finding Mastery Class
- Audiobook: Compete To Create
- Compete To Create: competetocreate.net
- Forbes: Master These NFL Winning Secrets To Thrive In Uncertainty And Reach Your Highest Performance
- InsideHook: How One NFL Team Is Handling a Tumultuous Offseason, Mentally
- GQ: Why Mindfulness is the Next Frontier in Sports Performance
- Entrepreneur: Daily Rituals That Lead to High Performance in Business and Life
- Outside: Dr. Michael Gervais on Mental Mastery
- Business Insider: A sports psychologist shares the visualization technique that’s helped Super Bowl champions and Olympic gold-medalists
- Thrive Global: High-Performance Psychologist Michael Gervais on Why There Are No Life Hacks
- CNBC: The simple exercise a psychologist taught Satya Nadella and Microsoft execs that can help you succeed
- Guardian: The Seahawks’ Legion of Boom is finished, but their legacy will endure
- Mindful: Teaching Kids How to Meditate — and Getting Schools on Board, Too
- WSJ: The Shrink on the Seattle Seahawks’ Sideline
- USA Today: One of Kerri Walsh Jennings’ most important accomplishments came at home
- USA Today: [VIDEO] Kerri Walsh Jennings Behind The Gold (feat. Michael Gervais)
- HuffPost: Pete Carroll And Michael Gervais On The Blueprint Of A Successful Culture
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.