Welcome to another edition of Roll On—my bi-monthly deep dive into (semi) current events, topics of audience interest, and of course answers to your questions.
Commanding co-host duties is my hype man Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently hard at work on a novel.
Some of the many topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- the documentary ‘Kiss The Ground’ — underground econsystems;
- regenerative agriculture v. demand for meat;
- the documentary ‘My Octopus Teacher’ — underwater ecosystems;
- New studies on the exponential growth of plastic waste; and
- thoughts on rugged individualism and commonwealth harm
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do we grapple with the contradicting values of the American culture?
- How do you balance training needs and social responsibility in a pandemic?
- How do you help loved one’s transition to a plant-based lifestyle?
Be an example of the lifestyle you believe in and be well.
– RICH ROLL
Thank you to Heidi from Northern California, Adam from Toronto, and Tristan from British Colombia for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
Merryfield: Discover new brands and earn points every time your grocery receipt includes our participating better-for-you brands. Download the Merryfield app today from the Apple App Store for free and stop missing out on points and free gift cards on brands you’re already buying. Merryfield; Shop clean. Get rewarded.
Blinkist: Unlimited access to read or listen to a massive library of condensed non-fiction books from self-help, to business, health, and history—all for one low price. Join me and 12 million others gleaning from the best and brightest. Try Blinkist FREE for 7 days AND save 25% off your new subscription at blinkist.com/RICHROLL
Joovv: Enhance your health, recovery, and sleep with Joovv light therapy. Discover the science of light therapy and how it can help you reach your health & fitness goals. Visit Joovv.com/richroll to unlock the code and enjoy a free gift with your purchase.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam’s Books: Can’t Hurt Me | One Breath
- New York Times: The Biggest Wave Surfed This Year by Adam Skolnick
- ‘Kiss The Ground’ documentary: Netflix | Website
- Netflix: My Octopus Teacher
- TED: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change by Allan Savory
- Film: Biggest Little Farm
- Nicholas Carter: Website | Twitter
- Carter’s Reference List for Plant v. Animal Agriculture
- Dr. Jonathan Foley: Website | @GlobalEcoGuy |Instagram
- Simon Hill: Plant Proof Podcast | Twitter | Instagram
- Project Drawdown: Solutions
- New York Times: ‘Kiss the Ground’ Review: Regenerating Hope for the Climate
- Indie Wire: ‘Kiss the Ground’ Review: Celeb-Studded Doc About Fixing Climate Crisis Obscures Good Message
- World Resources Institute: Regenerative Agriculture: Good for Soil Health, but Limited Potential to Mitigate Climate Change
- National Geographic: To keep the planet flourishing, 30% of Earth needs protection by 2030
- YouTube: Why Regenerative Agriculture Is Good for Soil Health
- FCRN: Grazed And Confused
- Civil Eats: New Soil Documentary Promises a Powerful Solution to the Growing Effects of Climate Change
- IOP Science: Nationwide shift to grass-fed beef requires larger cattle population
- Science Daily: New report gives the lay of the land on grazing livestock’s climate impact
- SLU: Holistic management – a critical review of Allan Savory’s grazing method
- Science Magazine: Predicted growth in plastic waste exceeds efforts to mitigate plastic pollution
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.