When it comes to fasting, how do you parse fact from fiction? How do nutrition and lifestyle choices make or break disease? And how do we eat to live longer, healthier lives?
To help us answer these questions, Dr. Valter Longo is back.
One of the world’s top researchers in the field of longevity science, Dr. Longo is a professor of Gerontology and Biological Sciences at the University of Southern California. He is also the director of the Longevity Institute at USC—one of the leading centers for research on aging and age-related disease—and director of the Longevity and Cancer Program at the Institute of Molecular Oncology in Milan, Italy.
Named one of the 50 most influential people in healthcare by TIME magazine in 2018 for his research using fasting to improve health and prevent disease, Dr. Longo is also the author of the international bestseller The Longevity Diet (all profits of which he donates to research and his foundation) and he is the founder of ProLon, a 5-day ‘fasting-mimicking’ diet program.
Dr. Longo first graced the show four years ago (RRP #367), wherein we covered the basics of fasting for longevity. Today we extend that discussion to get more granular on the science of longevity and nutrition, including an analysis of the latest research on fasting and its connection to healthspan extension and the prevention of disease.
“Diet can have a remarkable effect on you. It can reprogram your body and put it on a path to live longer.”
– VALTER LONGO, PHD
So today we pick up where we left off four years ago, covering:
- the latest research on fasting, longevity nutrition, and his fasting-mimicking diet;
- Dr. Longo’s take on the recent study out of China that showed no efficacy in intermittent fasting for weight loss;
- the 5 nutrition pillars of longevity, various fasting strategies, the acute versus chronic effects of food on metabolism;
- optimal protein intake based on age, high fat versus low-fat diets, and how to think about and contextualize continuous glucose monitoring;
- the science around rapamycin, metformin and sirtuins;
- and many other fascinating topics.
Valter is one of the world’s brightest minds on the cutting edge of longevity science and this one is full of prescriptive advice. I hope you learn as much as I did.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change II'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Levels: Making continuous glucose monitoring mainstream for the first time ever. Learn more about your metabolic health with personalized insights & biometric data. Whether you’re tuning your diet, optimizing your exercise, or just trying to stay healthy, monitoring your glucose with Levels can help. Learn more at levels.link/RICHROLL
Birch Living: The best, most affordable, organic, and sustainable mattresses on the market with a 100-night risk-free trial. 1% of each purchase is donated to the National Forest Foundation and Birch purchases carbon offsets for each mattress sold. For 400$ off ALL mattresses and 2 free eco-rest pillows visit birchiving.com/richroll.
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Olipop: With plant fiber, prebiotics, botanicals, and a touch of magic, Olipop is soda reimagined. A healthier and more delicious version of the soda you grew up sipping (like root beer & vintage cola) but with the added benefit of microbiome and digestive health support. Receive 20% off plus FREE Shipping on your order at drinkolipop.com/richroll.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more.
Calm: The app designed to help you ease stress and get the best sleep of your life with guided meditations, sleep stories, and more. Right now, my listeners can get a special limited-time promotion of 40% off a Calm Premium subscription at calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today!
- Connect with Dr. Longo: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Prolon: About
- New York Times: Scientists Find No Benefit to Time-Restricted Eating
- Science Alert: Here’s What That Controversial New Study on Time-Restricted Eating Really Shows
- TCTMD: Mediterranean Diet Bests Low Fat for Secondary Prevention: CORDIOPREV
- Express: High cholesterol: A Mediterranean diet shown to lower levels and keep the heart healthy
- USC: New Article Outlines the Characteristics of a “Longevity Diet”
- Stat: He wants to sell you a $300 ‘fasting diet’ to prolong your life. It might not be as crazy as it sounds
- EurekAlert: New article outlines the characteristics of a “longevity diet”
- The Washington Post: Want to add healthy years to your life? Here’s what new longevity research says.
- GEN: Intermittent Fasting Extends Healthspan through Circadian Autophagy
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; the copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.