“Dreams don’t work unless you do.”
Dubbed one of the “100 Greatest Drummers of All Time” by Rolling Stone, Travis Barker rose from blue collar roots to become one of the world’s most talented, prolific and hard working rock stars — a multi-hyphenate musician-producer-entrepreneur who initially made his mark as the drummer for Blink-182, the influential, multi-platinum punk-rock band that earned it’s very first Grammy nomination this week for it’s latest release, California.
Today, Travis is celebrated for his unique percussive acumen; a rare ability to collaborate with a diversity of musical giants — people like Eminem, Lil Wayne, Slash, Mary J. Blige, RZA, Tom Morello and Steve Aoki — across a swath of genres that reach past rock to country, jazz, hip hop and everything in between.
Extending his entrepreneurial flair beyond music, Travis is also the founder of accessory/apparel company Famous Stars and Straps as well as LaSalle Records and is an investor in a variety of ventures including Crossroads Kitchen – one of Los Angeles’ best restaurants and perhaps the most acclaimed vegan restaurant in the world.
Travis bares his soul in Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums* — a deeply personal and brutally honest memoir chronicling the highlights and lowlights of the renowned drummer’s art and life, including the harrowing plane crash that nearly killed him and his traumatic road to recovery. Ultimately, it’s a book about personal survival. Constant reinvention. Musical salvation. And fatherhood.
Travis Barker is a great rock star. But behind the tattoos, sold out arenas and dope rides lives a quiet, soulful artist with a prodigious work ethic. A sober consciousness birthed from pain. Etched from hardship, Travis Barker has survived some serious shit. But it’s our wounds that make us human. And it’s that humanity that interests me the most.
This is a conversation about a remarkable life. The pivotal moments that forged it. The premonitions that foretold it. The intuitions that directed it. The humanity behind it. And the heart that animates it.
Open, humble and present, I absolutely loved spending time with Travis. I sincerely hope you enjoy the first of what I hope will be many future exchanges.
Peace + Plants,
Check out Julie’s podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting casper.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
StrideHealth: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Find the perfect health plan for you—go to stridehealth.com/roll and save over $400 for the year. It’s easy coverage in 10 minutes or less, built just for people like us.
Travis’ book is available now: Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Travis: Website | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Film: Whiplash* dir. Damien Chazelle
- Travis’ clothing line Famous Stars & Straps & print shop ShopTravisBarker
- Travis’ recording label LaSalle Records
- GQ: Travis Barker Talks Tattoos And Pain by John Lockett
- Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Drummers Of All Time
- Billboard: Travis Barker Had a Premonition About His Near-Fatal Plane Crash: ‘I Walked Away From Death’ by Steven Horowitz
- Noisey: No Regrets, Only Lessons Learned: Travis Barker on Planes, Pills, and Prophecy by Derek Scancarelli
- People: Travis Barker and DJ AM in Jet Crash by Stephen Silverman
- ABCNews: Blink-182’s Travis Barker Recounts Death Wishes After Plane Crash by Derick Yanehiro & Katie Kindelan
- HuffPost: Travis Barker Talks About 2008 Plane Crash That Nearly Killed Him by Carly Ledbetter
- NYPost: Travis Barker’s 3-year-old daughter predicted tragic plane crash by Hardeep Phull
Notable People Discussed
- Stewart Copeland: American musician, multi-instrumentalist and composer best known as the former drummer for the English-American rock band The Police
- Dennis Chambers: American drummer, who was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2001
- Steve Gadd: American drummer, percussionist, & session musician
- Buddy Rich: American jazz drummer and bandleader known for his virtuoso technique, power, and speed—billed as “the world’s greatest drummer” during his career
- Carter Beauford: drummer, percussionist, and founding member of Dave Matthews Band
- DJ AM (Adam Goldstein): American DJ, remixer, musician, and one half of TRV$DJAM with Travis Barker
- Chad Larson: co-founder and bass guitarist for the Orange County rock band The Aquabats
- Samuel Bayer: visual artist, cinematographer, commercial, music video and film director
- Tom DeLonge: musician best known as the co-founder of the pop punk band Blink-182
- Mark Hoppus: musician best known as the bassist and co-lead vocalist for the pop punk band Blink-182
Past Episodes Relevant to Today’s Conversation
- RRP #041: Cro-Mags’ John Joseph: Punk Icon, Spiritual Warrior, Ironman Triathlete & Plantpower Iconoclast
- RRP #066: John Joseph: The Punk Iconoclast On GMO’s, The “V” Word & Expanding Consciousness
- RRP #095: John Joseph & Mishka Shubaly: The Post-Punk Algonquin Round Table: Peace, Plants & PMA
- RRP #223: John Joseph Wants You To Wake The Fuck Up
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.