After a seasonal sabbatical, ‘Roll On’ is back. And it’s time to hash out a bit of drama.
After a two-month respite, Roll On returns with a discussion on ‘Moneyball-esque’ advances in sports science, the role of podcasting in the culture wars, the importance of taking a professional pause, how my sleep habits ended up as ‘news’, and so much more.
As always, my magnanimous sidecar hype-beast and co-host Adam Skolnick joins me at the round table. Adam is an activist and veteran journalist known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. He writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
More specifically, topics discussed in today’s episode include:
- how the RRP community raised almost $500K for charity: water
- Adam’s recent NYT article on Norwegian triathlon dominance;
- the Joe Rogan and Spotify controversy and what it teaches us;
- lessons learned from Rich’s month-long sabbatical;
- the Alan Watts collection on the Waking Up app;
- why Station Eleven is the best show on TV; and
- media reactions to Rich’s ‘tent story’ on the Tim Ferriss show.
“Liberty has to be calibrated with responsibility.”
– RICH ROLL
As always, we close things out by taking a few listener questions. Today we answer:
- How do you optimize zone two training in non-impact workouts?
- Who do you draw inspiration from when feeling down?
- What do you do when your motivation for working out runs dry?
Thank you to Rebecca from Santa Maria, Sam from Baton Rouge, and April from Santa Monica for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page or, better yet, leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Enjoy the show!
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
Introducing Free Association Run—my collection of sustainable, vegan men's running gear crafted from recycled materials in collaboration with Ten Thousand.
Athletic Greens: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, AG1 is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. Invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll to get a FREE year supply of Vitamin D AND 5 free travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.
Made entirely from plants, JUST Egg is protein-packed, has ZERO cholesterol, and is a delicious, nutritious, and more sustainable way to start your day. Find it at your local co-op, Amazon Prime Now, and Instacart. Look for JUST Egg in the egg fridge, or find the frozen JUST Egg folded for easy breakfast sandwiches.
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01TM Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more.
Salomon: The creators of the world’s best road and trail running footwear & hydration gear, perfect for any runner, on any terrain, no matter the challenge. Check out my top picks at salomon.com/richroll and use the code RICHROLL at checkout to get 20% OFF—exclusions apply.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Rich Roll Podcast: Twitter | Instagram
- Taco Vega: Los Angeles
- Charity Water: Lifetime Impact
- New York Times: Why Do They Swim-Bike-Run So Fast? Data.
- New York Times: I Ditched My Smart Watch, and I Don’t Regret It
- New York Times: Spotify’s Joe Rogan Problem Isn’t Going Away
- New York Times: Spotify and Joe Rogan Respond to Complaints About Covid Misinformation
- New York Times: My Young Mind Was Disturbed by a Book. It Changed My Life.
- Podcast: Decoding the Gurus
- YouTube: Rebel Wisdom
- Podcast: The Peter Attia Drive
- Tim Ferriss Show: Rich Roll — Reinventing Your Life at 30, 40, and Beyond
- Insider: A man who sleeps in a tent in his yard while his wife sleeps in their bed says their arrangement doesn’t affect his marriage
- The Young Turks: Why Is This Husband Sleeping Alone In A Tent?
- Waking Up: The Alan Watts Collection
- HBOMax: Station Eleven
- New Yorker: In “Station Eleven,” All Art Is Adaptation
- Vanity Fair: Station Eleven Is a Disarmingly Hopeful Post-Apocalyptic Tale
- NYT: Finding Joy Through Art at the End of the World in ‘Station Eleven’
- Book: Stolen Focus: Why You Can’t Pay Attention—and How to Think Deeply Again
- Book: Old Path White Clouds
- Book: Still Life: The Myths and Magic of Mindful Living
- HBO Max: Station Eleven
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; the copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.