Melting ice caps. Raging wildfires. Unexpected floods and record-breaking heat waves. The climate crisis is here, and we’re not doing enough about it.
No wonder Greta Thunberg is so pissed off.
In addition to breaking down our climate ‘code red’, in today’s edition of ‘Roll On’ Adam Skolnick and I pontificate on the positives and pitfalls of perfectionism, arctic swimming, laundry done right and more—plus listener questions with a cameo from renowned yoga instructor, endurance coach, and friend Ted McDonald.
For those new to this segment of the podcast, aside from being my bi-weekly sidekick hype beast, Adam Skolnick is a waterman, writer, activist, and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Other topics covered in this episode include:
- lessons on productivity & workflow learned after Rich’s trip to Telluride;
- endurance swimmer Lewis Pugh’s 10km swim around Greenland;
- the chaos ensuing in Afghanistan & the arrogance and destruction of imperialism;
- takeaways from The International Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) recent climate report; and
- why sustainable land management, regenerative agriculture, and reforestation are critical to saving the planet.
“We aren’t a part of nature, we are nature. We’re past due for a collective consciousness upgrade to reform a symbiotic relationship with the planet.”
– RICH ROLL
In addition, we answer the following questions:
- What do you do when your self-care routine starts to feel stale?
- How do you find the right coach when training for an endurance race?
- As an athlete, how important is it to maintain a yoga practice?
Thank you to Nate from Colorado and Heidi from Northern California for your questions, and Ted McDonald for your help answering them—including one of my own. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code Richroll at checkout to save 15% off WHOOP.
Ritual: Ritual is the multivitamin, reimagined. I take it every morning, and I love that its clean, vegan-friendly formula is made with key nutrients in forms your body can actually use—no GMOs, synthetic fillers, or other shady extras. You deserve to know what’s in your multivitamin. That’s why Ritual is offering my listeners 10% off during their first 3 months. Visit ritual.com/RICHROLL to start your Ritual today.
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01TM Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- TikTok: @iamrichroll
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- Outside: Scott Jurek Halts Appalachian Trail FKT Attempt
- Trail Runner: Scott Jurek’s Epic Quest To Reclaim The Appalachian Trail FKT
- The News & Observer: Visitor dies in 200-foot plunge after ‘misstep’ on Telluride cliff, Colorado cops say
- Evening Standard: Lewis Pugh takes on his ‘most challenging’ swim to highlight climate crisis
- Evening Standard: Lewis Pugh tells us about his ‘code red’ Arctic swim for climate crisis
- Sky News: Lewis Pugh to attempt ‘coldest swim on Earth’ – and says it will be most challenging of his career
- The New York Times: In a Swimmer’s Two-Year Quest, a Final 21-Mile Challenge
- The Guardian: Antonio Argüelles, the grandfather who swam from Northern Ireland to Scotland
- YouTube: Diary of a Double with Antonio Argüelles
- Book: The Forever Swim
- The Guardian: The Olympics proved the IOC will do anything to save face. But we still love the Games
- NPR: Chaos At The Kabul Airport Reflects The Desperation Afghans Are Feeling
- Dig Deeper: Even Biden’s Allies Think He Screwed Up Afghanistan
- Book: The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
- IPCC: Summary for Policymakers
- Instagram: Damon Gamea On The New IPCC Report
- Revisionist History: Laundry Done Right
- AMC: The North Water
- Book: The Fighters
- Movie: Charlie Wilson’s War
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Ali Rogers, Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.