The relentless pursuit of pleasure always leads to pain.
As the world evolves from one of scarcity to overabundance, we increasingly orient our lives around the pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain—an instinct that has produced a myriad of unprecedented types of addiction, and consequently, the pain we so desperately seek to avoid.
To better understand this conundrum, I’m joined today by one of the world’s leading authorities on the neuroscience of addiction, Anna Lembke, MD.
If that name sounds familiar, it’s likely due to her on screen presence in the Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma—a must-watch for anyone with a smartphone.
Anna is a professor of psychiatry at Stanford University School of Medicine and chief of the Stanford Addiction Medicine Dual Diagnosis Clinic. She is widely published, has testified before Congress, and has authored two important books, Drug Dealer MD and her newest work, Dopamine Nation—a powerful primer on compulsive overconsumption in a world where feeling good has become confused with the highest good.
“We live in a world where we are saturated in dopamine and we live in a culture that encourages us to pursue it.”
– ANNA LEMBKE, MD
This is an important and impactful conversation that explores:
- The nature, psychology, and neuroscience of addiction;
- the explosion in addiction in lockstep with technological advances;
- the opioid crisis & the fascinating history behind how we think about and treat pain;
- recovery protocols from 12-step & the latest science on psychedelic treatments; and
- how to manage & avoid addiction.
Whip-smart and radically empathetic. I can’t underestimate the importance of Dr. Lembke’s work, and this conversation is a must listen for any and all who suffer from some form of addictive compulsivity, or know someone who does (which is pretty much everyone).
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Incase: Sleek, functional, and durable laptop cases & sleeves, backpacks, tech bags, travel accessories & more, Incase has a whole ecosystem of products designed to support creative lifestyles that deliver organization, mobility, and protection. My U.S. listeners can get US customers can get 20% off with the code Richroll at incase.com
Outerknown: Founded by pro-surfer Kelly Slater, Outerknown creates high quality, sustainably produced, and great looking men’s and women’s clothes, ethically manufactured in the world’s cleanest solar-powered factory. When you’re ready to amp up your wardrobe with awesome sustainable duds, go to outerknown.com and enter my code ROLL at checkout to get 25% off your full-price order.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% on your first purchase when you visit Squarespace.com/RICHROLL and use the discount code RICHROLL at checkout.
Daily Harvest: Daily Harvest makes it easy to eat more fruits and vegetables with thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted foods that are ready in five minutes or less. Go to dailyharvest.com/RICHROLLto get up to $40 off your first box.
- Connect with Anna Lembke, MD: Website | Twitter
- Netflix: The Social Dilemma
- Book: Drug Dealer, MD: How Doctors Were Duped, Patients Got Hooked, and Why It’s So Hard to Stop
- Book: Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence
- Stanford Health Care: Anna Lembke, MD
- Stanford Profiles: Anna Lembke, MD
- Quartz: Economists know how to break your phone addiction
- The New York Times: Can This Judge Solve the Opioid Crisis?
- The New York Times: The Lawyer, the Addict
- Vox: There’s a highly successful treatment for opioid addiction. But stigma is holding it back.
- Vox: America’s doctors can beat the opioid epidemic. Here’s how to get them on board.
- TED: A doctor’s thoughts on the opioid epidemic and pain management | Anna Lembke | TEDxStanford
- TED: The Neuroscience of Addiction with Dr. Anna Lembke, Stanford University
- NPR: ‘Drug Dealer, M.D.’: Misunderstandings And Good Intentions Fueled Opioid Epidemic
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Ali Rogers, Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.