This is a story of spiritual swindlers. Sober living scammers. Underground insurance fraud. And widespread institutional neglect.
In today’s edition of ‘Roll On’, Adam Skolnick and I discuss the rampant corruption incident to unregulated addiction treatment centers—brutal truths illuminated in the new independent film Body Brokers. We share good news and bad. We perform a bit of show and tell. And as always, we answer listener questions.
For those new to the podcast, Adam Skolnick is an activist and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Some of the many other topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- an update on Adam’s preparation for the Goggins’ 4 x 4 x 48 challenge;
- the Iron Cowboy’s ‘Conquer 100’ challenge;
- gravel cycling & Rich’s Specialized ambassadorship;
- the new documentary ‘Diving Deep’ and the life of activist Mike deGruy;
- Barack Obama’s new podcast and the future of the podcasting;
- the recent rise in Asian hate crime; and
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s impact on free speech—and what it means today.
“Treatment center corruption is among the vilest of crimes—an abuse of trust that escalates the body count by treating addicts as chattel.”
– RICH ROLL
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- If you could have a conversation with three luminaries living or dead, who would you choose?
- How do you make time to pursue ultra-running without disrupting work and family balance?
- What books, podcasts, and other types of media do you consume?
Thank you to Josh from North Carolina, Tara from Long Beach, and Emily from Minneapolis for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
A collection of inspiration and timeless wisdom from the podcast, 'Voicing Change' is now available globally.
Blinkist: Unlimited access to read or listen to a massive library of condensed non-fiction books from self-help, to business, health, and history—all for one low price. Join me and 12 million others gleaning from the best and brightest. Try Blinkist FREE for 7 days AND get 25% off a Blinkist Premium membership at blinkist.com/richroll
LMNT: A science-backed electrolyte drink mix with everything you need and nothing you don’t. The formula is super high-caliber — it’s plant-based with no sugar, fillers, gluten, or sketchy ingredients. Get a FREE LMNT sample pack, which includes 8 packets of LMNT for just $5 shipping at drinkLMNT.com/RICHROLL.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% on your first purchase at checkout when you visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the discount code RICHROLL at checkout.
Vivobarefoot is on a mission to make perfect footwear for humans and the planet, with a great range of shoes for kids and adults, and for every activity from hiking to training and everyday wear. Wearing barefoot shoes is a profound transformation. To reconnect with natural movement, go to vivobarefoot.com/richroll to get 20% off your order. You’ll receive a unique discount code when you sign up with your email.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- David Goggins: 4x4x48 Challenge
- Sufferfest Story: Billy Yang’s 48 Hours Goggins Challenge
- Film: Body Brokers
- LA Weekly: A drug rehab mogul built an empire that’s now being probed by the FBI, DA, and state of California
- LA Weekly: Rehab mogul Chris Bathum arrested
- Observer: John Swab Made ‘Body Brokers’ After He Met Real Drug-Rehab Scam Artists
- The Fix: Takedown Of “Malibu Rehab Guru” Christopher Bathum Chronicled In Amazon Series
- Daily Beast: The Predatory Malibu Rehab Guru Who Ripped Off Obamacare
- Vox: She wanted addiction treatment. She ended up in the relapse capital of America.
- Mercury News: How some California drug rehab centers exploit addiction
- Mercury News: Federal agents raid 4 Southern California addiction treatment centers
- NBC: Rehab Owner Pleads No Contest in Connection With $175 Million Insurance Fraud Scheme
- Spotify: President Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen Join Forces in the New Podcast ‘Renegades: Born in the USA’
- New York Times: Podcasting Is Booming. Will Hollywood Help or Hurt Its Future?
- James Lawernce: @theironcowboy
- Film: Diving Deep: The Life and Times of Mike deGruy
- New York Times: Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s Enduring San Francisco
- New York Times: Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Poet Who Nurtured the Beats, Dies at 101
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers & Davy Greenberg; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.