Out of 743 riders on the World Tour, the highest tier of professional road cycling, only 5 are black. Today’s guest is devoted to changing that. I wouldn’t bet against him.
Dubbed ‘the most important bike racer you don’t know’, Justin Williams is an 11-time U.S. National Champion and 14-time California State Road and Track
Champion. A rare sprinting talent from the get go, Justin was already crushing criteriums across the state as a teen en route to becoming the Jr. Track National Champ and a member of the U.S. National Team. In 2009 he joined the coveted Trek Livestrong U23 Dev Team. A launchpad to the majors, Justin’s dream of competing on the World Tour was becoming real.
However, despite Justin’s skyward trajectory and unbound potential, he quickly became disillusioned with the elitist aspect of the sport. Then he did the unthinkable: he quit. Departing Europe for home, he enrolled in college. Lived a civilian life. And let his bike collect cobwebs. For Justin, it seemed, cycling was over.
However, Justin’s younger brother Cory — then making his own cycling waves — had other plans, enticing Justin’s return to the sport through fixie racing culture. Revitalized by this dynamic community, Justin would soon discover renewed purpose on the bike. As an athlete who still had races to win. And ultimately as an advocate on a mission to redefine the sport he loves.
Thus was born Legion of Los Angeles: an independent elite cycling team dedicated to increasing diversity & encouraging inclusion in the industry. Translation: a launchpad for badass racers of varying ethnicities and backgrounds who don’t necessarily fit the status quo of the current whitewashed cycling program.
“Cycling opened my mind up to what is possible — it completely changed what I wanted out of life.”
– JUSTIN WILLIAMS
Today we explore Justin’s extraordinary story — from his experience growing up in Los Angeles to immigrant parents through his blossoming love affair with the bike.
We dissect the sport of cycling and the industry that supports it. What’s great about it. What must change. And how Legion is leading the way by smashing paradigms and setting a new standard when it comes to supporting athletes and promoting inclusivity.
Wise beyond his years, Justin is passion in motion. A cycling hero. The embodiment of persistence. And a powerful reminder that what is most important about sport has nothing to do with podiums. Instead, it’s about the journey towards self-actualization. It’s about sharing experience. And above all, the impact you leave on others.
The visually inclined can watch it all go down on YouTube. And as always, the podcast streams wild and free on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Equal parts important and entertaining, it was an honor to host this enlightening exchange with an athlete so devoted to positive change. Mad respect.
P.S. Thanks Alonso Tal for permission to use your epic action images of Justin. Also, Knox Robinson may or may not have dropped by. Just sayin’.
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & order now, click the button below.
- Connect with Justin: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Legion of Los Angeles: Instagram
- Bicycling: Justin Williams Is the Most Important Bike Racer You Don’t Know
- Cycling Weekly: ‘I’d love the first black Tour de France yellow jersey wearer to come from L39ION’
- Rapha: This Is Justin Williams
- Peloton Magazine: Human Race: Justin Williams
- BBC: Justin and Cory Williams: The Los Angeles brothers ‘creating cycling superstars’
- VICE: Athlete’s POV: Fixed Gear Bike Racing with Justin Williams
- Specialized: The Issue Is: Representation & Inclusivity
- YouTube: This Is Justin Williams
- YouTube: Making The Coolest Team In Pro Cycling: L39ION Of LA & Justin Williams
- Sundance TV: Hustle & Motivate: A Williams Brothers Story | SundanceTV
- Outside: Justin Williams Says L.A. Is a Great City for Cyclists
- Raw Magazine: Justin Williams and Legion of LA: redefining cycling in America
- Cycling News: Promoting diversity in cycling with Justin Williams
- Black Cycling: Justin Williams Makes Cycling Cool with L39ION Of LA
- Amandala: Belizean Justin Williams No. 8 in Top 50 of Cycling News’ most influential people in cycling
- Cycling: Justin Williams’ Legion of Los Angeles raise $50k for cycling diversity fund
- NBC: Tour de France 2020 featured one Black cyclist, Kévin Reza — and a disturbing silence on race
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Subscribe & Review: Please make sure to review, share comments and subscribe to the show on the various platforms (Apple Podcasts, YouTube & Spotify). This helps tremendously!
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Alonso Tal & Davy Greenberg; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.