“Sometimes what appears to be negative is the most positive thing you can do. What appears to be ‘safe’ is sometimes the most dangerous thing you can be doing for your life”
Welcome to yet another edition Guru Corner featuring Guru Singh, my favorite teacher on all things mystic and metaphysical.
Fusing Eastern mysticism with Western pragmatism, Guru Singh is a celebrated third-generation Sikh yogi and master spiritual teacher who has been studying and teaching Kundalini Yoga for more than 40 years. He is the author of several books, a powerful lecturer and behind-the-scenes guide to many a luminary, including Fortune 500 CEOs, athletes, and artists.
A peer of rock legends like Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead, Guru Singh is also an accomplished musician who began his recording career on Warner Bros’ Reprise label in the 1960’s. When he isn’t laying down tracks with people like Seal, he’s bringing down the house on the daily at Yoga West, his Los Angeles home base.
Today we spin the wheel on positivity. Not your typical disquisition on the benefits of adopting a positive mental attitude, we take a more nuanced approach to self-awareness. Focusing on receptivity over repression, it’s a call to embrace the power of both negativity and positivity as important forces to be experienced without getting lost in either extreme. And we discuss how to break free from the entrenched, looping stories we tell ourselves about ourselves that don’t serve the lives we aspire to lead.
I love this beautiful being. It’s my privilege to once agains share his wisdom with you today. So let the master class resume.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Four Sigmatic: A superfood company popularizing medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in delicious mainstream products like coffee and hot cocoa. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and enter the promo code ROLL at the checkout and save 15% on EVERY order!
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Go to Harrys.com/ROLL right now to get a limited edition holiday shave set while supplies last. We’ve partnered with Harry’s to give you $5.00 off your order when you enter code “ROLL” at checkout. FREE Shipping ends December 12th 2018.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the coupon code “RICHROLL” at checkout.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Guru Singh: Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Guru Singh Podcast on iTunes
- Guru Singh on YouTube
- Guru Singh’s Los Angeles-based Yoga center Yoga West
- Guru Singh: Online Classes
- Awaken: Articles by Guru Singh
- Awaken: Awaken Interviews Kundalini Yoga Master Guru Singh – Awakening Is a Spectral Process
- PositivelyPositive: Guru Singh On How To Stay Young [VIDEO]
- Book: The Artist’s Way* by Julia Cameron
Books By Guru Singh
- Infinite Zero: Everything Comes from Nothing* by Guru Singh
- Buried Treasures: The Journey From Where You Are to Who You Are* by Guru Singh
- 108 Ways to Great Days: A Journey Through Journaling* by Guru Singh
- Angels Gather Here: Nine Angelic Aspects of Human Life on Planet Earth* by Guru Singh & Kevin Hutchings
- A Year of Prayer: 365 Inspirational Days (Volume 1)* by Guru Singh & Gurperkarma Khalsa
- Spiritual Pavement: Simple wisdom for the enlightened road (Volume 1)* by Guru Singh
- Spiritual Pavement: Volume Two: Simple wisdom for the enlightened road (Volume 2) by Guru Singh
Notable People Discussed
- Guruperkarma Kaur: spiritual teacher, Guru Singh’s wife
- Julie Piatt (a.k.a SriMati): plant based chef, singer-songwriter, author, spiritual guide, yogi, mother to four and multi-podcast guest
- Yogi Bhajan: a yogi, spiritual teacher, and entrepreneur, who introduced Kundalini Yoga to the United States
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP#418: Guru Corner: Dare To Be You In A World That Values Conformity
- RRP #400: Guru Corner: How To Raise A Conscious Child With Guru Singh
- RRP #393: Guru Corner: Disrupting Depression With Guru Singh
- RRP #368: Guru Singh On Compassion, Discernment & The Primacy Of Self-Mastery
- RRP #332: Guru Singh on Building Emotional Infrastructure
- RRP #267: Guru Singh On The Power Of Cultivating Awareness
Special thanks to Guru Singh for this week’s interstitial music; Thanks to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics. Portraits by Reece Robinson. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.