We are living in a moment of compounding collective stress—personal, pandemic, economic, civic, and political. This trauma and tumult comes with side effects both physical and psychological.
How do we take care of our bodies during this incredibly stressful moment? Furthermore, how do we buttress our immune system to combat the virus?
The answer, we are increasingly coming to understand, begins with the microbiome. In fact, you might be surprised to learn, the gut is home to 70% of our immune system.
To glean a better understanding of what that means, I convened with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, a lauded gastroenterologist & gut health guru whose life’s work is devoted to better comprehending the microbiome and the crucial role it plays in all facets of health, from brain function and hormone balance to weight management and everything in between.
”Your brain’s best friend is your gut. You can’t separate the two. If you have an unhealthy gut, it’s going to affect your brain.WILL BULSIEWICZMD
Affectionately known as ‘Dr. B’, Will is a graduate of Georgetown School of Medicine and a former chief medical resident at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and chief gastroenterology fellow at the University of North Carolina Hospitals. In addition, he received his Master of Science in Clinical Investigation (MSCI) from Northwestern University and a certificate in nutrition from Cornell University. He’s authored more than twenty articles in the top American gastroenterology journals and his New York Times bestselling book, Fiber Fueled: The Plant Based Gut Health Program For Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome, is a must-read primer on why gut health is so crucial–and everything you need to know to optimize
Since the beginning of the pandemic, I’ve lamented the mainstream media’s lack of attention to caring for our immune system. So today we dive in.
This is a conversation about all things microbiome and gut health. The mechanisms behind it and latest research findings.
We discuss our epidemic of dysbiosis (lack of gut biome balance)and its relation to a litany of chronic diseases that unnecessarily plague too many.
We explore the gut-brain connection. The paramount need to increase the biodiversity in our bodies and our environments. And (sorry carnivores) why fiber is king.
In addition, in this time of excessive sterilization and sequestration, Dr. B provides practical takeaways on how we can improve our gut flora and optimize our immune system, without putting ourselves and others at risk.
Gut health has never been as important as it I right now.
– WILL BULSIEWICZ, MD
And finally, we talk fecal transplants. Because, let’s face it, I can’t have a gastroenterologist on the show and not ask about that.
It was an honor to to converse with Dr. B–a fresh, new mind making big waves on the plant-based, microbiome scene. Passionate, empathetic and whip-smart, I enjoyed every minute. And I promise you will walk away from this episode armed to take your health to the next level.
Note: I first came across Dr. B’s work by way of his many appearances on my friend Simon Hill’s wonderful Plant Proof Podcast (which you should all check out). The pandemic prevented an in-person exchange, so this conversation was recorded remotely a few months ago. Apologies in advance for any audio issues. We did the best we could.
Final Note: Will just released The Plant-Fed Gut, a comprehensive 7-week online course about microbiome health and reversing dysbiosis that goes beyond what he was able to offer in his book. To learn more and sign up, visit theplantfedgut.com/course/ (I have no affiliate or financial entanglement here–just sharing good information).
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
On-Running: Born in the Swiss Alps, On-Running is the world’s fastest-growing running brand. From their patented cushioning system to their gorgeous minimal design aesthetic, shoes & gear that performs and looks great too. Go to on-running.com/richroll to unlock the voucher, and pick your favorite shoe or apparel piece and run in it for a 30-day risk-free trial, no questions asked.
75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, Athletic Greens is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. So invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll and claim your special offer today: 20 FREE travel packs valued at $79 with your first purchase.
Public Goods: One version of every essential in one place. Healthy, high quality, sustainable and affordable home goods, personal care products, and premium pantry staples. Everything is ethically sourced and free of harmful additives. The folks at Public Goods are generously giving listeners of the show $15 to spend on their first purchase — just go to publicgoods.com/RICHROLL or use code RICHROLL at checkout.
- Connect with Dr. B: Website | Instagram | Facebook
- Book: Fiber Fueled
- Online Course: The Plant Fed Gut
- Plant Proof Podcast: Episodes with Dr. B
- The Beet: 11 Tips to Boost Your Immune System During COVID-19
- The Post and Courier: Charleston-area gastroenterologist to release new book about plant-based diets
- CNET: Probiotics for gut health: Everything you should know before you buy them
- Shape Magazine: Can Taking Probiotics Help with Seasonal Allergies?
- Women’s Health: 9 IBS Treatments That Will Free You From The Toilet Seat
- Elle: Boosting Immunity Is A Dangerous Myth
- MBG Health: Is Gut-Lag Real? Here’s The Science of How Travel Affects Your Gut
- MBG Health: The Biggest Gut Health Mistake We Need To Fix In 2020
- MBG Health: 5 Things That Are Seriously Messing With Your Gut — And What You Can Do
- MBG Health: Yes, Your Gut Changes As You Age: Here Are 4 Ways To Keep It Healthy
- MBG Health: Your Gut Microbes Are Picky Eaters: 4 Foods An MD Swears By To Make Them Happy
- MBG Health: The Biggest Gut Health Mistake We Need To Fix In 2020
- Well+Good: The 10 Most Surprising Gut Health Facts We Learned This Year
- Well+Good: I’m a Gastroenterologist, and These Are the 5 Things I Do for a Healthier Gut
- Well+Good: Here’s How Your Gut Microbiome Changes As You Age—and What You Can Do to Keep It Healthy
- Well+Good: 6 Gut-Health Facts G.I. Docs Want Everyone to Know
- Genuine Health: A Gastroenterologist’s Secret to Balancing & Restoring Your Gut Health
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.