“Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you.“
Close your eyes and imagine yourself running a trail ultramarathon in the beautiful Australian outback. You’re enjoying the experience when suddenly you find yourself trapped in a gorge, surrounded by a raging brushfire.
The flames quickly close in until you’re surrounded on all sides.
This is how it ends, you think.
Against all odds, death is averted. Instead, you lie comatose. Months pass in dormancy. Finally your eyes open, awakening to discover you’re miraculously alive, yet somehow less than whole. A glance at your left hand reveals several fingers missing. On the right? No thumb. And the reason you can’t move? 65% of your body is covered in life threatening burns. Overwhelmed, you allow your eyes once again close, welcoming the comfort of darkness.
200 operations follow. Over the next two years, you will die three times during surgery.
Miraculously, you somehow survive. Not as a victim, but as a hero.
This is the powerful story of Turia Pitt – humanitarian, athlete, and beacon of inspiration and female empowerment to millions across the world.
One of Australia’s most admired and widely recognized people, Turia has been profiled everywhere from 60 Minutes to Women’s Weekly. She has scaled the Great Wall of China, competed in the Ironman World Championships and walked the Kokoda Track. A sought-after public speaker, Turia has mentored thousands through her online programs, raised funds and awareness for a variety of philanthropic concerns and authored two books — the recently released Unmasked* (available in the US in audiobook format* only) and Everything To Live For*.
This is a conversation about turning tragedy into opportunity. Adversity into advocacy. And experience into service. It’s a conversation about the importance of putting others before yourself and serving those less fortunate.
But most of all, this is a powerful conversation about facing life head on — about taking risks, facing your fears and believing in yourself.
It was an honor to spend a couple hours with Turia and her fiancé Michael during my recent visit to Sydney. My hope is that our exchange will leave you feeling inspired, empowered and grateful.
Or as Turia says, no whinging!
Peace + Plants,
Join us for our next retreat at Ballyvolane in Ireland, July 24-31, 2017. For more information visit ourplantpowerworld.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code “RICHROLL”.
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting casper.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Connect With Turia
Download Turia’s FREE “Happiness Manifesto: 10 Tips For Creating More Happiness In Your Life”
Books by Turia
- Unmasked*: Turia’s latest book with Bryce Corbett. (Currently an audiobook in the U.S. only)
- Mindset Magic: 5 essential keys to instantly shift your mindset build your confidence and grow serious self-belief
- Everything To Live For: The Inspirational Story of Turia Pitt*: Turia’s first book with Libby Harkness
Background, Context & Reference
- 60 Minutes: (video): Unstoppable | Turia Pitt Interview with Michael Usher
- EXTRA MINUTES: ‘Turia Pitt’ | Reporter Discussion with Michael Usher
- TEDx: Macquarie University: Unmask your potential | Turia Pitt
- Organization: ReSurge International: (Formerly Interplast) The first international humanitarian group to provide free reconstructive surgery in developing countries
- M Life: Turia Pitt: Life after Kona by Michelle Curran
- M Life: These Three Women Define Strength by Jennifer Ward
- Starts At 60: Turia Pitt’s remarkable story of survival and new life by John Reid
- Perth Now: Burns survivor Turia Pitt turns focus to family after physical feats by Trevor Paddenburg
- News.com.au: Turia Pitt talks about her fiance Michael Hoskin in new book Unmasked: ‘He is my soulmate’
- The Daily Telegraph: ‘This is how I’m going to die. It’s so unfair’: Turia Pitt’s tale of survival by Angela Mollard
- Daily Mail UK: ‘He has demonstrated what love is': Inspirational burns survivor Turia Pitt reveals she never thought partner Michael Hoskin would leave her by Kristy Johnson
- Daily Mail UK: Sea of love: Inspirational burns survivor Turia Pitt shares a tender moment with fiance Michael Hoskin at Bondi Beach after smitten couple go for a dip in the ocean by Jade Watkins
- Daily Mail UK: True face of courage: Inspirational Turia Pitt, who suffered horrific burns when she was caught in a bushfire during an ultramarathon, unveils her new nose… but she almost died on the operating table by Daniel Piotrowski
- ABC News AU: Ultramarathon runner Turia Pitt burnt during race in Kimberley WA reaches multi-million-dollar settlement by Graeme Powell
- MammaMia: There’s only one woman left on Instagram worth following
- The Weekend Australian: Runner Turia Pitt tells of horror bushfire ordeal by Paige Taylor
Notable People Discussed
- Michael Hoskin: Turia’s fiance, caregiver and former police officer
- Chris McCormack: aka Macca, Australian triathlete, 2x winner of the Ironman World Championship, 2007 / 2010
- Sam Bailey: Inspirational speaker, farmer, pilot and best-selling author of Head Over Heels: A Story of Tragedy Triumph and Romance in the Australian Bush*
- Tony Robbins: Author, Entrepreneur, Life Coach and internationally renowned motivational speaker
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #130: ‘American Sniper’ Screenwriter Jason Hall: Finding Purpose In Tragedy
- RRP #131: From Crash Victim To Elite Athlete: A NYC Firefighter’s Long Run To Wholeness
- RRP #108: Fightshark Miller On Why “Pain Don’t Hurt”
- RRP #266: Navy SEAL David Goggins Is The Toughest Athlete On Earth — Thoughts On Mindset The 40% Rule & Why Purpose Always Trumps Motivation
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.