Beyond politics and religion, few topics are more hotly debated than nutrition.
But when we consider the totality of health—not just human health, but the well-being of our ecosystems, our soil, and the animals with whom we share this planet—the science is irrefutable: a diet that is as plant-exclusive as possible is best.
Nonetheless, misinformation fueled by emotions and ideological tribalism persists. Confusion propagates. Thus the average well-intentioned person remains stuck in unhealthy lifestyle habits that tragically lead to avoidable ailments and disease. Meanwhile, the planet suffers.
To help us parse facts from fiction and guide us towards an evidence-based, rational model for nutritional health and well-being, today we convene with my friend Simon Hill.
The host of the fantastic Plant Proof Podcast and blog of the same name, Simon plies his master’s degree in nutrition to objectively decipher scientific literature to deliver clear and actionable tools to help people make diet and lifestyle choices that actually promote optimal health and longevity.
The culmination of Simon’s obsession with nutritional science is The Proof Is In The Plants, the ultimate evidence-based primer on the positive impact of a plant-based diet on human and planetary health—and an essential must-read for any and all interested in grounded nutrition science.
“While genetics can increase your likelihood of developing a certain disease, your lifestyle has a lot more to say in the story.”
– SIMON HILL
Today we hit all the hot topics: tribal diet wars, what the science says and what it doesn’t, the environmental implications of our food choices, the truth about saturated fat, cholesterol, and oil. Not to mention the key things you can and should be doing to perform at your peak, sidestep disease, promote longevity, and live both optimally and consciously.
For so many reasons, Simon is the health and nutrition resource we need right now—and this one is packed with crucial, perhaps life-saving information. Break out pen and paper—you’re going to want to take notes.
Final Note: Simon was kind enough to provide comprehensive evidentiary support for his many statement throughout the podcast. For those that desire to to dig deeper into the science, click the ‘References’ tab below.
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
Introducing Free Association Run—my collection of sustainable, vegan men's running gear crafted from recycled materials in collaboration with Ten Thousand.
Native: Stay fresh, stay clean with Native: a deodorant that isn’t a chemistry experiment. That means no aluminum, parabens, phthalates or talc. Just safe, effective protection against odor and wetness. Visit www.nativedeodorant.com/rrp or use promo code rrp at checkout, and get 20% off your first order.
Birch Living: The best, most affordable, organic, and sustainable mattresses on the market with a 100-night risk-free trial. 1% of each purchase is donated to the National Forest Foundation and Birch purchases carbon offsets for each mattress sold. For 400$ off ALL mattresses and 2 free eco-rest pillows, visit birchiving.com/richroll.
Stride Health: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Find the perfect health plan for you. Enrollment is only November 1st through December 15th, so it’s time for you to get covered with the right plan. Go to stridehealth.com/richroll for easy coverage in 10 minutes or less.
Salomon: The creators of the world’s best road and trail running footwear & hydration gear, perfect for any runner, on any terrain, no matter the challenge. Check out my top picks at salomon.com/richroll and use the code RICHROLL at checkout to get 20% OFF—exclusions apply.
- Connect with Simon: Website | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Podcast: Plant Proof
- Book: The Proof Is in the Plants: How Science Shows a Plant-Based Diet Could Save Your Life (and the Planet)
- Men’s Health: This Australian Fitness Junkie Is Totally Ripped — and 100% Vegan
- Men’s Health: Simon Hill on Why You Should Consider Moving to a Plant-Based Diet
- Men’s Health: How Do I Find Protein On a Plant-Based Diet?
- Plant Based News: Nutritionist Simon Hill Releases Book On How A Plant-Based Diet ‘Could Save Your Life’
- Plant Based News: Is Documentary ‘Kiss The Ground’ Just A Last Ditch Effort To Keep Meat Relevant?
- Centr: Simon Hill on why going vegan doesn’t have to mean eating fake meat
- Antagonist: Nutritionist Simon Hill says the Key to Eating Healthy is in Plants
- Goodness Me: My Day On A Plate: Plant Proof – Vegan Nutritionist Simon Hill
- Daily Mail: Is this Australia’s hottest vegan? The millionaire entrepreneur who sculpted his abs with nothing but plants – and it’s easier than you think
- Documentary: Rewilding a Mountain
- Fermented Food vs Fiber: Gut-microbiota-targeted diets modulate human immune status
- 30 plants per week leads to better microbiome diversity: American Gut: an Open Platform for Citizen Science Microbiome Research
- Low versus high carb diets:
- AHA Journal: Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease
- LDL-Cholesterol and heart disease:
- Guideline papers
- Science Direct: Soybean oil lowers circulating cholesterol levels and coronary heart disease risk, and has no effect on markers of inflammation and oxidation
- Science Direct: Mendelian Randomisation and LDL Papers
- Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) and inflammation
- Omega 6 intake and health outcomes
- Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) does not increase inflammation
- Removing livestock typically improves biodiversity than livestock integration
- FCRN Grazed and Confused Report of Holistic Grazing
- Holistic Management Review
- New Zealand Incentive For Afforestation
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.